Thread: Diminishing symptoms of a lifelong problem after 2 weeks primal! page

Primal Rick is offline Junior Member

Diminishing symptoms of a lifelong problem after 2 weeks primal!

Primal Fuel
    Hello all! I am new to primal and would like to share my experience thus far. I am 28 years old and as long as I can remember I have dealt with regurgitation of my food after eating that would last at least a couple hours accompanied by terrible acid reflux. I was never actually diagnosed, but as far as I can tell this is GERD. I remember, even at a very young age, my brothers and cousins telling me how bad my breath was, especially when I ate dairy. In late 2004 it was getting really bad and I decided to have an endoscopy done in January 2005. I was told that I had stage 1 esophagitis and if I did not get it taken care of it could possibly turn cancerous. Their solution was to cut my stomach loose and wrap it around my esophagus, creating an artificial valve. From then on I would have to avoid foods that either clump in the stomach or do not break up well with chewing. I decided to deal with it. I began drinking more water and trying to avoid foods which gave me the worst acid reflux. Of course, eating grains and sugars I have still continued to deal with this on a daily basis.

I am 5'11" and started primal at 237 pounds. I have been primal now for 2 weeks. I've lost 10 pounds and I feel amazing. Knee and back pains I have had for years are starting to go away and my energy levels stay constant. I started this because I was tired of feeling disgusted with myself and I wanted to get healthy. The biggest (welcomed) surprise of this for me has been the diminished symptoms of GERD. I have not had any acidic feeling in my throat since beginning and every day the regurgitation of my food is less severe. In fact I have eaten several meals now where I have had no regurgitation at all.

I can totally agree that this is not a diet. I do not feel deprived of good foods. I do not miss grains or sugars, nor do I crave them. The fact that in 2 weeks I have begun to get rid of a lifelong problem means that this change for me is for life.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Fantastic! Welcome!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

likwidoxigen is offline Senior Member
    Hehe, Just wait until you get to the point where you can have spicy foods without any acid reflux!!

Believe it or not, spicy foods have never been a problem for me. I love spicy foods.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Congrats and welcome aboard! I started with a similar problem, acid reflux, and was seriously surprised when cutting out grains and refined sugar helped. Everybody always told me acidic things were the problem, like tomato-based foods and orange juice!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Thanks for the welcome and I'll go ahead and answer the questions from the obligatory introduction thread.

Your location: North Carolina

Age (If you want): 28

How Primal are you: I would say probably about 95% I have the occasional spoonful of coconut milk ice cream which has some sugar. I have not touched grains since I began.

Do you consume dairy: Some, yes. Mainly on omelets.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Never been much of a fan of either.

Motivator for switching to Primal: The scales just seemed to keep going up for me no matter what I did. I had just recently gone to buy new clothes and had to move up to size 40 from 38. I was disgusted that I had let myself get to that point, and I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I was going to do the slow-carb diet, but a few days into that, while looking for recipes for slow-carb, I found PB.

Favorite exercise: Swimming

Favorite Primal food: Coconut milk

Best part about being Primal: The fact that my lifelong battle with GERD seems to be coming to an end!

Worst part about being Primal: Dishes.... I use a lot more now it seems.