Thread: Primal in Michigan - what should I buy to eat? page

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member

Primal in Michigan - what should I buy to eat?

I'm going to be staying temporarily in Oakland county for a while, and was wondering what and where I should eat. Is grassfed beef cheaper there than Northern California, for instance? Is there a food specialty that I should try? All suggestions welcome!

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    I would expect just about anything to be cheaper than California, if you can find it at all. Oakland county, (and Ann Arbor area) probably has the best local economy for diverse needs. However, if necessary you can consider acquiring contacts to farmers in the boonies. My biggest concern is that the climate isn't amenable to year-round pastured feeding, so unless they store away bales of hay for winter, you are getting at least partially corn-fed.

(From Michigan but don't spend much time there anymore

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    There are several Whole Foods and Trader Joe's in and around Oakland County.

P.S.- As for food specialties.. the metro-detroit area is a total melting pot of cultures. Dearborn has some of the best middle eastern food, hamtramck is great for polish food, and of course greektown in detroit is legendary. I would say don't be afraid to find new places, there are hundreds of great and unique places.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Oooh, definitely going to go for that Greek food I absolutely love lamb. But good to know that I can buy yummy stuff that I"m used to eating here in California.