Thread: Hello from the shadow of Mount Rushmore page

HillyRu is offline Junior Member

Hello from the shadow of Mount Rushmore

Shop Now
    Hello, MDAers.

I'm not really new to MDA or the primal/paleo lifestyle. I've been "doing this" for going on two years. I like everything about primal living ... minus the fact that I can only seem to stick with the actual eating portion of it for about three weeks at a time.

About seven or eight years ago, I embarked on a journey to lose weight. And I did. In fact, I lost 100 pounds, 60 of which following "Sugar Busters" and the remaining 40 from Weight Watchers. But a couple years ago, I had some family drama plus recently got married, so I've gained 20 pounds back.

The thing is, I can't seem to shake the idea of primal as a diet, and as such, I "go off it."

BTW, I realize this is a terrible intro and should be it's own thread. But what I'm asking for is advice or tips from others who struggled. It seems like so many in this community where able to transition effortlessly, but that rings false for me.

So, any tips and techniques -- or just outright support -- would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch for reading.

Grok on,
    HillyRu

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    How far off track is your "once every three weeks"? That might just be allowed in your 20%, if it isn't derailing you from your goals.

Going off track is a decision you make. Don't try to be perfect. Aim for making consistently good food choices. Don't stress about the bad ones. The next food choice you make can be a good one, even if your last one was less than.

Advice: If you want to eat something that you know isn't good for you (like ice cream, or cake, or pizza) I recommend spending the money and getting the best quality that you can find. Higher quality food tends to satisfy cravings more easily (e.g. Hershey's vs. Lindt). When you have a bit of whatever you are craving, hopefully that will be enough for you to make good food choices for another month or so.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    How far off track is your "once every three weeks"? That might just be allowed in your 20%, if it isn't derailing you from your goals.

Going off track is a decision you make. Don't try to be perfect. Aim for making consistently good food choices. Don't stress about the bad ones. The next food choice you make can be a good one, even if your last one was less than.

Advice: If you want to eat something that you know isn't good for you (like ice cream, or cake, or pizza) I recommend spending the money and getting the best quality that you can find. Higher quality food tends to satisfy cravings more easily (e.g. Hershey's vs. Lindt). When you have a bit of whatever you are craving, hopefully that will be enough for you to make good food choices for another month or so.
    +1 Excellent advice!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.