Thread: Acceptable protien source? page

balanced is offline Member

Acceptable protien source?

Shop Now
    Greek Yogurt? Is this an acceptable protien source on PB? I favor Fage 2% which has 20g of protien and 8g of carbs. I only eat the plain and sometimes stir in blackberries, almond butter or unsweetened flaked coconut.....usually just eat plain. I can't seem to get enough protien at meal time and really enjoy it as an occassional snack. I know I shouldn't be snaking either but I am starved around 4pm. Also, is milk off-limits? How bout goat cheese? I really do love a tall glass of cold milk and some crumbled goat cheese on my salads. I get local pasture raised milk and goat cheese.....both are fantastic.

I have been primal for almost 2.5 months and have been missing some of my favorites like milk and greek yogurt. In fact, broke down and had a piece of pizza and some ice cream this weekend. I was able to get right back on track the next day. However, the guilt was torture! Does this ever go away?

Also been feeling pretty lousy mid day....almost like I am getting sick. Could this be happening because I am not consuming enough carbs?

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Cottage cheese has more protein than Greek yogurt. If you crack 4 eggs into your glass of milk you'll have enough protein.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    I think its an acceptable protein source.

4 eggs in glass of milk definitely give you enough protein - but Yuck!! Hate drinking milk and hate raw eggs.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Remember that milk/dairy is the "grey area" food...If you can tolerate it, then have some. Especially raw! Lots of us here do so:-) And don't fret slipping up(lot's of us do that too:-). It's not a DIET, it's a lifestyle change. The guilt will only go away if you let it. Free your Mind, and your Grok will follow!

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Dairy proteins are mostly "grey" if they're cooked (including pasteurization) and unfermented AFAIK. Fermented raw milk is probably going to be tops since you get glutathione-boosting intact whey plus improved digestibility of caesin due to the fermentation.

If you're going to have raw eggs make sure you're getting enough biotin, as raw egg whites have an antinutrient, avidin, that inhibits absorption of biotin. This can be counteracted with more biotin and may be worth it since raw egg whites apparently provide the same glutathione magic as whey does.

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    A couple slices of pizza a week is no biggie. 80-20.

larlong is offline Junior Member
    I use Fage regularly, more as a mayo and sour cream substitute and not as a yogurt.

Before going Primal, I was a huge milk fan, always had a couple gallons in the fridge. But even though I tolerated it fine, pasteurized milk is inflammatory and I did enough reading and research to be concerned about the potential link between milk/dairy and heart disease. Luckily, I have found coconut milk as a great substitute, the Trader Joe's brand being particularly delicious.

I'd have a tough time staying Primal and eating pizza every week.

dado Guest
    unacceptable.

if you are having trouble being away from your old favorite foods, you schedule one day every two weeks and you pig out.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by larlong View Post
    I use Fage regularly, more as a mayo and sour cream substitute and not as a yogurt.

Before going Primal, I was a huge milk fan, always had a couple gallons in the fridge. But even though I tolerated it fine, pasteurized milk is inflammatory and I did enough reading and research to be concerned about the potential link between milk/dairy and heart disease. Luckily, I have found coconut milk as a great substitute, the Trader Joe's brand being particularly delicious.

I'd have a tough time staying Primal and eating pizza every week.
    Other research is indicating that when homogenized, the milk fats are broken down so small that your body doesn't process them correctly. In addition, whole cream line milk is delicious. I can't get raw milk where I live, and only one store in the entire area carries cream line milk. In WI there was no raw milk, but cream line was everywhere.

troylee is offline Junior Member
    I have been primal for almost 2.5 months and have been missing some of my favorites like milk and greek yogurt.