Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Horrifying sugar cravings... three weeks in?? page

KimmyBabs is offline Junior Member

Horrifying sugar cravings... three weeks in??

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,

I've been following the PB for 3 weeks or so. The only cheats I've had have been two glasses of red wine (on different days) and a couple of pieces of dark chocolate. Otherwise, carbs at or below 100g, NO GRAINS or legumes (except a few chick peas by accident at the start)... following things pretty closely.

Right at this moment, I'm having such a heavy sugar craving I think my head is going to pop off. WHAT IS GOING ON!? I thought these were supposed to fade as the first 30 days passed?!!! This is misery. I almost ate a scone this morning... almost ate a muffin... almost ate a cinnamon bun. (And the funny thing is, even before PB, I wouldn't probably have given those items much of a thought anyway.)

Why is this happening NOW? I would have thought the worst of the withdrawal would have happened right off the start.

Has anyone else had this experience?

K

Pheebie is offline Senior Member
    I've been through this, too. My first week of primal - no big deal. Weeks 3-4 ~ holy crap, did I want bread, cookies, cake, crackers (I adore crackers), etc. and felt discouraged because I was "supposed" to not have such strong cravings, based on what I'd read. All I can say is everyone is different and I think what you're experiencing is entirely normal . . . . and temporary. Granted, when my cravings were at their strongest, I gave in one day & had a veggie sub from Subway. And it was the best sandwich I'd ever eaten in my entire life! I was afraid that would set me back, but instead, I was able to re-focus the next day. No guilt, no bloat, no upset tummy ~ and the cravings piped down, too.
    Not saying you have to 'indulge,' just sharing my experience and two cents. Hang in there ~ you'll be fine.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Try sweet potatoes.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    get some truvia, or stevia, and some heavy whipping cream and cocoa powder and make a fatty mousse

your tongue will taste sweet, your stomach will get full on the fat

i've been there things like this helped big time
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

mmsantos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Try sweet potatoes.
    +1. Sweet potatoes are a great way of getting some good carbs in. I've found they neutralize most cravings that come.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheebie View Post
    I've been through this, too. My first week of primal - no big deal. Weeks 3-4 ~ holy crap, did I want bread, cookies, cake, crackers (I adore crackers), etc. and felt discouraged because I was "supposed" to not have such strong cravings, based on what I'd read.
    Well, I did expect some cravings but I figured they would be at the very start. Why they're coming at week 3, I don't get it!! But then again, I guess people don't necessarily go through the withdrawal immediately -- like anything, I guess your body has to realize that it's not getting it anymore before it starts the freakout.

I don't want to indulge in anything unauthorized, though... I want that fat-burning switch to flip. Wouldn't it be awesome if the cravings meant your body is turning the corner and heading into that coveted perfect fat burning zone??? Man. I wish the body was simple and obvious like that.

Actually... I mean, I'm seriously just flying by the seat of my pants here, but this just occurred to me (and if anyone out there with the scientific knowledge to answer this can chime in, I'd love that): if the body is used to burning sugar/carbs as its fuel source and then you take those sources away, I would imagine the body has to use up what it has before it flips to burning fat. Yes? So, wouldn't it stand to reason that the cravings are a function of the body running out of that source?? I dunno, totally a guess from an uneducated follower here.

Bloodorchid: I've tried, it's not working!!!!!!!!

Grizz is offline Banned
    kimmy,

Check out this link carefully:
    MY LEPTIN PRESCRIPTION | Jack Kruse

Grizz

Quote Originally Posted by KimmyBabs View Post
    Well, I did expect some cravings but I figured they would be at the very start. Why they're coming at week 3, I don't get it!! But then again, I guess people don't necessarily go through the withdrawal immediately -- like anything, I guess your body has to realize that it's not getting it anymore before it starts the freakout.

I don't want to indulge in anything unauthorized, though... I want that fat-burning switch to flip. Wouldn't it be awesome if the cravings meant your body is turning the corner and heading into that coveted perfect fat burning zone??? Man. I wish the body was simple and obvious like that.

Actually... I mean, I'm seriously just flying by the seat of my pants here, but this just occurred to me (and if anyone out there with the scientific knowledge to answer this can chime in, I'd love that): if the body is used to burning sugar/carbs as its fuel source and then you take those sources away, I would imagine the body has to use up what it has before it flips to burning fat. Yes? So, wouldn't it stand to reason that the cravings are a function of the body running out of that source?? I dunno, totally a guess from an uneducated follower here.

Bloodorchid: I've tried, it's not working!!!!!!!!
    I once saw someone on here describe sugar cravings as your body sending the message "eat sugar now or die!" to your brain. I would guess that cravings do have something to do with your body running out of its 'preferred' fuel. I get sugar cravings usually a day or two after intense exercise if I didn't replenish glycogen (hence the sweet potatoes). If you do a lot of exercise, make sure you replenish that energy. Eating clean carbs from fruit and sweet potatoes is better than crashing later on cake and pizza (speaking from experience!).

Quote Originally Posted by mmsantos View Post
    I get sugar cravings usually a day or two after intense exercise if I didn't replenish glycogen (hence the sweet potatoes). If you do a lot of exercise, make sure you replenish that energy. Eating clean carbs from fruit and sweet potatoes is better than crashing later on cake and pizza (speaking from experience!).
    Unfortunately, I'm not able to do a ton of exercise -- I'm still recovering from lead poisoning (and the resulting candida) so I'm somewhat limited. But I've just started lifting heavy things 3x per week! So, soon, I will hopefully be exercising a lot. For now, it's a little bit.

In any case, I HOPE it's my body running out of the crappy fuel... boy oh boy, do I hope so. Because that means we're getting into fat burning time! Love it!!

I think I WILL make some sweet potato with dinner tonight, though. Just a little bit. For now, though, I would gnaw off my own arm if it was made of flour. *sigh* Cravings, go away! I don't want to want that poison!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by KimmyBabs View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm not able to do a ton of exercise -- I'm still recovering from lead poisoning (and the resulting candida) so I'm somewhat limited. But I've just started lifting heavy things 3x per week! So, soon, I will hopefully be exercising a lot. For now, it's a little bit.

In any case, I HOPE it's my body running out of the crappy fuel... boy oh boy, do I hope so. Because that means we're getting into fat burning time! Love it!!

I think I WILL make some sweet potato with dinner tonight, though. Just a little bit. For now, though, I would gnaw off my own arm if it was made of flour. *sigh* Cravings, go away! I don't want to want that poison!!
    I admire the persistence! Just keep holding out and you'll do fine. Also, are you eating plenty of fat to make up for it?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast