Thread: Blood Improvements page

Littlesigh is offline Senior Member

Blood Improvements

Primal Fuel
    Thought I would post my blood work changes, see below. These are for a year and include my change to more primal eating, not perfect in any way, but no wheat since March, and a reduction in overall sugar. To be fair I was limiting both anyway.
    Obvious total Cholesterol bump due to increase saturated fats, but nice drop in triglycerides and glucose, HDL shot up as well. Not sure how to interpret VLDL as I had never had it checked. All ratios in the "ideal" levels, so am pleased!
    I also got my Vit D checked which was 43 mg/dl (range 30-100) Again not sure how that reflects my working above the Arctic Circle in the dark season, I am taking 8000 IU of D3 daily during the dark months, and 2000 otherwise.
    My CRP was less than 1.... :-) Seemed odd but I guess I don't have as much inflammation as I thought.
    Figure don't line up from what I have but the first number is from last year second from this year. VLDL is just from this year.
    Oct 1, 2010 // Sep 27, 2011
    Tri glyc 128 // 75
    Tot chl 167 // 207
    HDL 46 // 68
    LDL 95 // 124
    VLDL // 13
    Glucose 107 // 91

This is from Cholesterol HDL/LDL/Triglycerides Ratios Calculator

Your Total Cholesterol of 207 is BORDERLINE

Your LDL of 124 is NEAR OPTIMAL

Your HDL of 68 is OPTIMAL

Your Triglyceride level of 75 is NORMAL

RATIOS:

Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 3.04 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL

Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.548 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) IDEAL

Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 1.103 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL

Cheers
    Living the dream, inside a myth

HandBot is offline Junior Member
    Great changes.

Your HDL is showing that you've clearly picked up the working out since your initial lipids (or you picked up heavy drinking), and your triglycerides have improved with your decreased carb intake. There's evidence that triglycerides are somewhat indicative of inflammation, which is consistent with the low CRP. Congrats!

I'm curious to see how the LDL changes with the Primal lifestyle. In my experience I haven't seen big LDL changes with lifestyle changes in general. I'm interested to see what mine do after a year on this. My LDL is in the 180s despite relatively healthy lifestyle before PB.

Littlesigh is offline Senior Member
    Thanks! Generally I would be concerned about the jump in Total and LDL but I know better now. I have not had a drink in 10 years! Had the sickness BAD for along time! Next time I may pay for some other tests the doctor won't agree to.
    Living the dream, inside a myth