Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweet Potato "Chips" page

Siren is offline Senior Member

Sweet Potato "Chips"

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay... I know I'm gonna take some heat for this one, simply because so many of us Grokkers shun evil root veggies for all their starchy, carby evil-ness, but I couldn't help it: I was on an emotional rollercoaster yesterday and needed some "comfort." I found it in this extraordinarily simple recipe that I came up with on the fly while grocery shopping yesterday afternoon. Please, please, please forgive me if you or someone else in the forum already came up with this; I'm new here and haven't been through all the many pages of recipes on this forum and others on the Primal interwebz. All I know is that this came out FANTASTICALLY AMAZINGLY HOLY-S***-THIS-IS-AWESOME good. Let me know what you think =)

[Note: Don't confuse a yam with a sweet potato: http://www.bonappetit.com/tipstools/...otato_and_yam]

Sweet Potato "Chips"
    Ingredients:
    - Enough sweet potatoes to serve everyone that will be eating this (one 9 inch potato made enough chips for both my mom & me, with plenty leftover for my lunch today)
    - Enough coconut oil to fill your chosen pot/pan at least 1/2" deep when melted
    - Sea salt, kosher salt, seasoned salt, cinnamon, whatever spice you think will make your chips taste awesome =)

Directions:
    - Melt the coconut oil in the pan (this won't take long; it doesn't need to be super hot, but keep an eye on it anyway. You don't want it to burn.)
    - Meanwhile, slice the potatoes as thick or as thin as you want (this depends on how crispy or chewy you want your "chips." I made mine ~1/8" in thick. They came out with nice crispy edges and soft centers.)
    - Use a test potato to see if the coconut oil is ready. If it takes longer than 10 minutes to fry and you've sliced the potato pretty thin (like mine), the oil needs to get hotter. If it turns brown really quickly, the oil needs to cool off.
    - Please also note that you'll need to flip the potatoes occasionally, and more frequently once they've been in the oil for a few minutes. It's not like deep frying, where the whole thing cooks evenly at the same time (these float, so will only sit about halfway in the oil). But if you've gone really thick, like a 1/4" or more, they might actually sink all the way to the bottom, in which case you'll just need to loosen the potatoes a few times during cooking.
    - Fry to desired doneness.
    - Take the potatoes out of the hot oil, letting the excess drip back into the pan, and drain on paper towels.
    - While still hot and damp, sprinkle with salt or whatever spice you've chosen. Let cool.
    - Nosh to your heart's desire. I promise, it will be hard to stop. Just remember, these ARE potatoes, and they WILL make your blood sugar creep up, so for insulin's sake, don't go crazy! =)

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    +1

I often make sweet potato fries in coconut oil.

You have to heat it up to medium in order to get the cooking time down.
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Quote Originally Posted by fpsjosh01 View Post

You have to heat it up to medium in order to get the cooking time down.
    True, but you don't want it up to standard frying temps of 330 degrees and hotter. Around 275 should be sufficient, but that's another reason why I suggested using a test chip. It would be a travesty if a whole batch turned into a blackened mess, or worse, a soggy mess, if the oil wasn't at just the right temp. I didn't use a thermometer, just set the heat to medium low and used my test chip to get the right level of doneness. They're completely addictive though; I wish I'd bought a second potato! =S

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I think it sounds really good, and a lot of the women here have found they need a few more healthy carbs than the men, so you've got their vote!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

B. Knight is offline Senior Member
    Sounds awesome! Pair this with Rivven's 5-minute primal sandwich, and I'd say we've got a winning comfort food combination here.
    "You don't have forever to change yourself."
    Stefan Molyneux
    Freedomain Radio

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
    Mark Twain

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Don't feel bad siren, I do this same thing, but with bacon grease:-) Then finish with grated parmesan/crushed pepper. It's fantastic!!!

Londongalgoneprimal is offline Junior Member
    Sounds great! Don't ever feel bad... I say do whats best for yu and go with it! Sweet potatoes are hardly that bad, and there's always going to be the purists & evangelists when it comes to anything. And you know what...some days you just need some "stodge" and comfort eating!! I made some primal crackers the other day made with almond & flax meal, sesame seeds etc and they were so freakin delicious I wanted to eat the whole lot! And I didn't have to feel "bad" about them but as much as people say 'try not to substitute non-primal foods with lookalikes'-- there are some things you miss or want! So go for it :-)

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Londongalgoneprimal View Post
    Sounds great! Don't ever feel bad... I say do whats best for yu and go with it! Sweet potatoes are hardly that bad, and there's always going to be the purists & evangelists when it comes to anything. And you know what...some days you just need some "stodge" and comfort eating!! I made some primal crackers the other day made with almond & flax meal, sesame seeds etc and they were so freakin delicious I wanted to eat the whole lot! And I didn't have to feel "bad" about them but as much as people say 'try not to substitute non-primal foods with lookalikes'-- there are some things you miss or want! So go for it :-)
    On days where I work out, I finish the day with a sweet potato, it seems illogical, but I can't seem to wake up in the morning the day after without one.

Everyone seems to think that their weight loss will come better if they approach carb 0. That's not how it works. At least not for me anyway...
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

It's great to see that I'm not alone in the need for comfort foods! =)

My mom could not stop going on about these things. She's not fully Primal, but the more I cook stuff like this, the more I think I'll turn her into a Grokette! LOL

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fpsjosh01 View Post
    Everyone seems to think that their weight loss will come better if they approach carb 0. That's not how it works. At least not for me anyway...
    +1. Count me in the camp that eats a few more carbs than many folks around here think is appropriate. I have more energy, I feel better, I sleep better. I buy a big bag of sweet potatoes nearly every week, and they're always gone by the end of the week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast