Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Couldn't be happier (working on healthier) page

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member

Couldn't be happier (working on healthier)

It's time to start, I guess...a journal that is.
    The trouble is, where?

this summer I developed some crazy stomach issues that I couldn't figure out - horrible bloating, painful cramps, diarhea, and the worst was the acid reflux - it felt like my entire stomach was in my throat for weeks. I couldn't take more than one bite before I felt it. I had to sleep sitting up, and if I scooted down in the night stomach contents would come up. ick, I know. I tried some home remedies (pickle juice, ACV) and they helped momentarily - but it always came back.

One of the worst things was the beer - I love craft beer, a good lager or stout, a crisp hoppy ale...mmmm. And my husband works for a craft brewery But I couldn't drink them without feeling like they were coming right back up! I began to think I might also have a candida issue...

I talked to docs and nurses in my circle of family and friends and EVERYONE said to go get a prescription - or even take an over the counter daily acid reflux med... Not my style, I'm afraid - I would rather fix it myself (if I can)!

On monday September 19, 2011 I weighed myself in the morning (165#) - showered and dressed -
    had coffee and oatmeal @ work and had a horrible morning of acid reflux, aching throat and the beginning of a migraine. I couldn't eat much lunch - salad with grilled chicken and diet coke, more acid reflux. During my lunch break though I researched my stomach issues and what I could possibly do to stop feeling this way. And I landed here at MDA. That night I ate the chicken breast and veggies (not the pasta). That night I felt better, enough to sleep flat and not be woken up by my acid reflux. It was still there - just not as bad.

Tuesday: September 20, 2011 - weight (166# ugh)
    I ate primal all day and haven't looked back!

By noon My acid reflux was gone...just gone.
    From that moment the bloating went down severely - I don't have a lot of cheats since carbohydrates (especially wheat or sugar) really make me feel bad! When I do I keep it really low.

Today: October 17, 2011 - weight - 155#

In the last 4 weeks I have lost 10#, I haven't measured - but I will tonight
    I have eliminated my acid reflux
    I have eliminated my stomach issues (most likely wheat related)
    I have increased my energy 100x!!
    I have been in a fabulous (almost euphoric) mood 90% of the time - didn't really feel carb flu'ish
    and...
    I can have the occasional craft beer without any ill effects ! yay!

I'm not a very good journal keeper - but I do have a question or two:

Leptin reset - is it necessary? I don't have cravings - I feel what I assume is 'true hunger' about 5-8 hours after a meal - so some meals I skip.
    Sometimes breakfast is minimal (this morning I had three pork sausage patties and was satisfied) or not at all - Is that alright?

couldn't be happier (working on healthier)

pbj
    Last edited by pbj; 10-17-2011 at 09:16 AM.
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

pbj
    Another good primal morning - not very hungry again for breakfast

Yesterday's food: not very hungry again
    Breakfast = 3pc pork sausage, 1 egg
    Snack = handful of almonds (about 12 I think)
    Lunch = 1/2 C greek yogurt
    Dinner = homemade chicken vegetable soup ( I took out the noodles in my bowl )
    snack = grass fed beef roast - I had cooked it in the evening for lunches this week and couldn't resist!

Yesterday was so hectic, BUT I'm finding that I have more energy at the end of the day to get things done -

yesterday's schedule: work until 4:30, take son to FB practice (go grocery shopping during FB), then home to make dinner/throw in roast, switch laundry, take son to hockey practice (2 hours, work on computer during), home @ 9:30, take out roast, nibble, package for lunches, put son to bed, finish laundry....relax...sleep. no time for exercise yet - can implement early morning as I actually prefer it in the am.

I need more time in the day, but I have enough energy eating primal to fit everything in!

pbj
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

pbj
    wed 10/19

for the last month I have been as primal as I can be, I would say 80ish%, some days better, some days worse. I've only cheated a few times since I appear to have a gluten / wheat sensitivity (undiagnosed) and eating something with flour / gluten makes me feel awful and brings back a number of stomach issues. I also cut out sugar and sugar substitutes ( I use truvia very sparingly) since I think I had a bit of a candida overgrowth in the intestines that added to the AR and stomach issues.
    I've tried not to be too evangelistic (is that a word?...evangellical?)- explaining only when asked specifically about it. I have talked it over with the husb, he works for a craft brewery and while he doesn't drink overly much - it's part of his job - along with all the barfood, beer and food pairings, brewfests, etc. and consequently he is in less than perfect health. He thinks I'm a little crazy for voluntarily giving up pizza, pasta and pastries instead of taking daily meds so I can continue to eat junk like that...wtf?
    ...anyway, getting to the point - he called me yesterday from the road(he travels alot) and said that he wants to get healthier and feel better "but I don't think I can give up pasta"...
    I don't know if it would be better to ease him into it? or go cold turkey like I did with all grains and sugar out the door?
    hmm
    anyway - I'm still 80-90% and absolutely loving it, haven't worked in regular exercise though - I just need to find (make) the time

yesterday I made the banana-egg-coconut oil paleo pancake...with butter, and loved it - it tasted a little like bread pudding! I wanted to try it when I got home from work so I made one quick and it held me until I had time to eat some beef roast and veggies @ 9pm
    so this morning I made another one, sprinkled a little cinnamon, added a tbsp of butter, and cut up some pork sausage to go with it - mmmm yum.
    it's so good, no syrup needed.

I think I'll keep that for just a few times a week though - I'm still trying to stay <50g carbs and no sugar or wheat at all so I don't have much fruit....just some berries occasionally with greek yogurt.

I still feel fabulous - definitely - at least once a week I cook a bunch of chicken and/or beef roast for lunches at work which has helped solve the problem with not having enough primal food available

I still need to implement exercise - it's weird because I love to work out, I love the way it makes me feel...maybe I don't feel the 'need' because I feel f*&%$#g fantastic without lifting a single weight.

I wonder what I would feel like if I worked out? would I feel even better?
    I better find out!

pbj
    my info:

My journal

pbj
    Beautiful crisp morning....and by crisp I mean COLD.
    Thank goodness I brought in my herbs on wednesday - they wouldn't have survived!

Sooo, I forwarded the fit-day article about primal / paleo eating that was on msn.com earlier this week to my husband - and he replied..."unk, me want eat like caveman" lol.

eating yesterday:
    breakfast - 3 eggs and 3 turkey sausage ( I know, just eating it up before I get more real stuff), black coffee with tbsp coconut oil
    snack - handful of almonds
    lunch - grilled chicken and bacon ranch salad from McD, tea
    snack - elk and cranberry sausage ( delicious! hubby brought it back from a sausage shop in Minn.)
    Dinner - 10 oz steak and cottage cheese, 2 delicious IPA's (it was our anniversary )

My tummy feels good - just a little hunger this morning, but I'll easily hold off til noon for a 16 hr IF

Lunch is beef roast
    Snack - cottage cheese
    dinner - pretty sure we are hitting a chinese buffet before a movie...challenging I know!

Oh, and I had a few sips of a diet coke last night - wow, sweet and nasty tasting. weird

now to work on working out, and getting the husband to join me!

pbj
    my info:

My journal

pbj
    a happy primal monday!

pretty good eating over the weekend - chinese buffet, had a salad and sushi - and iced tea (unsweetened)
    then we went to the movie (Real Steel is awesome, BTW) and no-one got any treats! yay!

the boy had hockey and football games this weekend and we squeezed in pumpkin carving too, so much fun, I know he will get tired of doing that stuff with me at some point, he's 12, but not yet thank goodness.

Saturday night, ate with the MIL - and she tried to convince me to take a daily acid reflux med so I could go back to eating pasta and cake and cookies and pancakes and.... She's a nurse and CW and her education has taught her to fix the symptom to get on with the way you were living your life...not to investigate whether you are living your life the most healthy way! Frustrating, especially when my Husband aggrees with her.

Both mornings had BAB with eggs, bacon / sausage, hashbrowns cooked in bacon grease... I'm getting hungry thinking about it! I'm IFing this morning after a late and somewhat odd dinner (two servings of meatballs ???) but energy is high.

still no working out - Football is over now, so it's 'just' hockey until march so I should be able to find time before dinner...HAVE to work out on an empty stomach.

Allright - no idea what to have for lunch today after IFing....McD's salad probably - with an extra chicken breast...I'll need the protein, I'm sure!

pbj
    my info:

My journal

pbj
    day 38
    weight : 154 - down 12# - it's crazy to think that I've lost that much without working out once - I'm on my feet in the lab and an active person during the day - just haven't started back into weight lifting and sprinting - now it's getting colder.....can I jump rope and run stairs inside instead?
    exercise: see above - I'd like to to start , I just need to find the time!
    eating : about 90-95% primal - the only real non-primal things I have are craft beer and red wine. Not giving up my craft beer or a glass of rich and spicy old vine Zin.... I digress. I do get mostly all of my carbs from veggies and an occasional banana egg paleo pancake.
    family support : zero, none, zip. They don't tell me to change - they just don't believe in it enough yet to follow me, and I'm not pushing. Just trying to be an example of how fantastic it will make them feel!

Off to forage for lunch - had 3 sausages with a banana egg pancake with butter for breakfast....OMG, it was so good!
    and I could easily eat a BAS right now!

pbj
    my info:

My journal

pbj
    11/1/11

eating is pretty good - minimal serious slip-ups...I had one pc of pizza (extra bacon and chicken on it) and it made my Acid reflux flare up a bit. so, lesson learned. 1 forkfull of pasta with my homemade beef and broccoli stir fry sunday night was uneventfull... the broccoli was amazing though!
    had some (read 6 or so - ooops) delicious Belgian beers on friday night - totally worth the headach the next day!
    Had a party on friday night - stayed away from all the non-primal stuff!...I snacked on wings (skin- on) and fruit with full fat greek yogurt..mmm..felt pretty good about that!

weight = 152
    exercise = started simple fit, level 1 yesterday...totally loved it! 30 rounds!
    eating = 80ish%
    support = better! I decided not to push my husband and son...at all - to just continue to fix healthy food for them...a little less pasta / no bread...rice and sweet potatoes instead of pasta. It might be sneaky, but it seemed to work a little. Last night I was working on my computer after hockey practice and my husband sat down across from me and said "so, if I wanted to make the same diet changes you did, how would I do it?"....
    YAYAYAYAYAY!
    I didn't say that - I just told him that it was primarily meat, eggs and vegetables - it was a higher fat diet so he would be less hungry, but no bread or pasta, no sugar, no processed packaged frosted crap anymore.

He hadn't eaten dinner (hockey practice instead) and asked what he could eat. there was smoked pork and spinach in the fridge, some pork sausage, a leaftover steak....lots of choices!

Anyway, serious let-down this morning when I came downstairs to make a spinach and mushroom omelette for him and he was just finishing two toaster strudel things. Ugh

baby steps, right?

anyway - halloween candy doesn't have me in chains this year! I had half of a mini hersheys last night and it was too sweet - I would rather have had the 85% cocao dark chocolate!

sticking to it
    pbj
    my info:

My journal

Calibunny is offline Member
    PBJ, you're doing great! I, too, am on my own with my family. Hubby and son won't give up bread and processed food. But it sounds like your hubby is at least thinking about it, so thats a good start!

I have been forcing myself to walk after work for 30 mins, and then 2x/week i go to the gym for a weight lifting class. I'm still waiting to get that workout high, but I havent given up hope. Ugh, i hate to sweat too, so that doesnt help!

I enjoy reading your journal, keep up the good work!

pbj
    Primal day 52
    weight = 151 weight loss is slowing down, which is okay - @ 5'8" and really athletic / curvy, I could lose a little more - but not in any hurry.
    exercise = simple fit - love it...working on pull ups
    eating = really good - 90ish% I'd say - after reading chocotaco's grains vs. PUFAs thread - I plan on taking a closer look at that part of my diet
    Need to drink more water
    support = it's really spotty - once in a while the husband acts interested and then doesn't act on it - I think he wants to make the change, but lacks the tools? ...time to buy the book and give it to him to read, I guess. He travels alot so it is difficult with the amount of time he is away from home to find healthy meals...but he should be able to read. I came to Primal from doing online research and haven't gotten the book yet.

Still have great energy - and IFing, but not on any regular basis - just when it feels right. I eat an egg / sausage / spinach omelette about 2-4 days a week and IF on the other days because I'm not hungry. Energy is good because I am sooo busy.

Still want to get the 12 yo more on board - he loves homemade meals, adores fish and eats all veggies...but he also loves to snack and is hooked on cheap carbs (eggos, ick) for breakfast, and macaroni and cheese! He's a hockey player and very healthy, but I worry about his cognitive and GI health sometimes because of the crap he wants to eat.

anyway, onward towards better health
    pbj
    my info:

My journal

Shanster is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey - I'm 41, 5'8" too! Always carried my weight well but am heavy - figured it was being big boned German stock! grin. My husband and I started primal Oct 1 and I, like you LOVE it. Love the overall sense of just good feeling... that you can't really describe or pinpoint but dang, you just feel GOOD. I'm down 10lbs from when I started - 163... and I always thought 150 would be unattainable but maybe I can get there??

I JUST started the workouts... I'm pretty whimpy but already after 4 primal essential workouts I'm totally not sore after doing them... so I guess that means I should up my game?

Did you cut out beer completely? My husband is in the biz too... we met when he was working at Wynkoop Brewery in Denver and being in Ft. Collins we are in a hot spot of microbrews... and I LOVE them. I've cut way back and we have been focusing on wine...

Anyway - just curious and it's all very cool isn't it? I try not to spout off too much either but I get so excited about it....

Way to keep sticking to it!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast