Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Couldn't be happier (working on healthier) page 2

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanster View Post
    Hey - I'm 41, 5'8" too! Always carried my weight well but am heavy - figured it was being big boned German stock! grin. My husband and I started primal Oct 1 and I, like you LOVE it. Love the overall sense of just good feeling... that you can't really describe or pinpoint but dang, you just feel GOOD. I'm down 10lbs from when I started - 163... and I always thought 150 would be unattainable but maybe I can get there??

I JUST started the workouts... I'm pretty whimpy but already after 4 primal essential workouts I'm totally not sore after doing them... so I guess that means I should up my game?

Did you cut out beer completely? My husband is in the biz too... we met when he was working at Wynkoop Brewery in Denver and being in Ft. Collins we are in a hot spot of microbrews... and I LOVE them. I've cut way back and we have been focusing on wine...

Anyway - just curious and it's all very cool isn't it? I try not to spout off too much either but I get so excited about it....

Way to keep sticking to it!
    Big boned German Stock! Me too, lol -
    I guess that means we do carry our weight well - wide shoulders, big chest and strong legs..., kind of like a linebacker! (referring to my own build of course , lol)

My husband is the regional sales director for a craft brewery and he would take it as a personal insult if I stopped drinking 'his' beer! lol
    He was just out in Denver for GABF - he said it was awesome!
    I didn't cut beer all the way out - cutting out all grains, flours and sugar made it so I could drink craft beer without acid reflux - we are wine drinkers as well, and I don't have any adverse effects from any alcohol since I went primal. whew!

thanks for stopping by!!
    pbj
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

pbj
    hmm
    two days ago I was 40....
    yesterday was my birthday,
    so today I'm firmly "in my 40's"
    and I feel pretty goddamn good!

Pros to going primal: GI issues gone, hair, skin and nails all improved drastically, high energy, effervescent mood, weight loss
    cons to going primal: well, trying to smile when everyone tells you that the way you are eating is crazy and unhealthy.

Eating has been spotty -
    although yesterday I indulged a little - I've stayed pretty much primal
    B - eggs and sausage
    S - greek yogurt
    L - chicken strips (breaded...about 25 g of carbs) -didn't trigger reflux though - and unsweetened tea
    D - fish and chips (sweet potato fries) again breaded .... no immediate acid reflux although my throat hurts today...could be the coffee too.
    2 delicious Belgian Ales and a square of 85% chocolate for dessert.

weight this morning - 152...same
    B - skip - not very hungry, but I had coffee with a touch of cream, truvia and 2 tsp coconut oil
    S - couple oz of cheese
    L - going home for lunch - probably asparagus, eggs and bacon....yum - NO dairy...I'm thinking of cutting it out entirely
    D - not sure yet -

I'm struggling with the exercising - it's cold and I'm a wimp - lol. However, I love weight lifting, and body weight exercises...I just have to do it already!

pbj
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

Shanster is offline Senior Member
    Yes - I think our body types might be similar! I always said I had good birthin' hips... I think Dwight from "The Office" would appreciate my sturdy build, hips and chest. heh. I figure my beers count for 20% since so far I've really stayed away from grain stuff.... not sure I could give it up totally. Nice to meet you! *waving back*

pbj
    9 weeks and change (pun intended!) --
    Something a little odd going on - I'm feeling differently...or maybe I'm more aware of the fact that how I'm feeling is minutely different than previous...? Anyway, during the first 7 weeks or so I had this constant feeling of euphoria, just on top of the world...constantly. Nothing could slow me down, nothing could bring me down, my energy was through the roof and I felt great all the time.

TMI SPOILER ALERT!!

During this first 6-7 weeks my TOM was a little off, minor spotting in the middle of the cycle but no real 'period'. No big deal really, but for the last 4-5 days I've been feeling slightly down, a little less energy, and generally blah...and last night I realized that I'm PMSing...hmm. Before I went primal I would bloat up 3-5 pounds, feel awful, have back cramps, terrible digestive issues, the works...and all that before the main event even happened! UGH.

I have read about how the hormone changes before your period affect prostaglandin production in your intestine which would explain the digestive issues...however that didn't happen this time...and no bloating at all. Just a mood / energy change. I like that I was able to sense/feel the change, without the usual awful indications.

Pretty sure my husband is even more grateful than I am! lol

Regardless, shortly I'll be back to what is becoming my new normal

Boy am I thankful for having a new normal!

pbj
    my info:

My journal

pbj
    post thanksgiving -
    So I was hoping it wasn't going to happen - everything was going so well...weight loss had slowed down, but I was feeling amazing still. Last week I had PMS and was happy about the lack of mood swings and digestive issues. Well, I should have kept my damn mouth shut - cramps are off the charts painfull and while I haven't indulged hardly at all (really, only a tiny spoonful of stuffing on thursday and a sliver of pumpking pie...and the crust) I am experiencing some mild digestive issues....
    Ugh.
    Well, good news is that I haven't been very hungry so I've been IFing the last few days - yesterday it was dinnertime before I was hungry! But I'm so bloated from TOM that the thought of putting anything in my stomach is offensive.

Still not hungry today - had a big coffee (black) and working on the 2nd 32oz of water for the day. I'm hoping that the cramps are minimal enough today that I can work out this afternoon. That always gets things 'moving'!

move forward, not back
    pbj
    my info:

My journal

pbj
    What a difference a day makes!
    A day of eating well, and letting time take it's 'course'...pun intended, bah!

yesterday - crampy, bloaty and bitchy - it didn't help that I weighed myself and was up like 4LBS - ugh.
    - no breakfast - IF til noon - ate a big lunch of scrambled eggs, steak, avocado and green chili salsa....yummm, helped my mood for sure!
    - dinner - fish fillets with salad.
    - dessert - 2 square 86% chocolate
    today - down 5 lbs....WTF? considering throwing away the scale!
    - bfast - IF
    - snack - 1/3 C full fat cottage cheese
    - lunch - salad....not sure yet
    - dinner, undecided
    BUT mood is sooo much better... I wonder how much of it has to do with the scale? probably too much.
    sooo two things to work on this week....
    exercise
    no weighing for the rest of the week...that will be hard

pbj
    my info:

My journal

Shanster is offline Senior Member
    Yeah - I hate the scale too.... Always want it to show my low weight or be lower.... and sometimes it just doesn't. I keep meaning to take the body measurements but I get too lazy.

Glad you are feeling better and yes, moving forward is GREAT! Way to go!
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

pbj
    I have a problem....apparently.

I can't stay away from the scale. If I wake up feeling bloated then I HAVE to weight myself to see what the damage is...then feel awful and fat all day. If I wake up feeling awesome and non-bloated I weight myself to reinforce my assumption that I haven't at least gained any weight, and hopefully lost a bit since yesterday.

Last night I went to bed feeling a little bloaty...probably the chocolate (I'm learning it causes IBS-like flare-ups) even though it's 85%. I woke up bloaty too and after telling myself that I was going to try not to depend on the scale I couldn't help myself. jumped on...2 lbs up, now feeling fat all day.
    I guarantee if I was the same or 2lbs down I'd be feeling awesome. Even though the way my body felt was clearly due to what I had put in it.

I need to re-focus on fueling my body with what it needs and not the outward results (weight loss). When I focus on weight then I concentrate only on that and not what is happening in my body. I have lost the same 20#'s over and over again and it's always by weighing myself everyday and adjusting diet constantly.

I don't even know why I'm still worrying about the weight - I won't go back to eating wheat and sugar due to GI issues...so why do I compulsively weigh myself every morning?
    Vanity I suppose. Ugh.

Anyway, rant over.

Eating has been good lately - although I want to get back in the habit of having breakfast at least a few times a week - IFing feels right sometimes and others it's due to time constraints!

Company christmas party last weekend, had the prime rib and asparagus, some wine and no dessert!....but some more wine
    rocked a size 8 frock! woot woot!

stay
    off
    the
    scale
    my info:

My journal

SweetPickles is offline Senior Member
    Hi pbj! Congrats on all your progress! I'm glad primal has helped your digestive issues - it sounds like it was miserable. I've had issues with IBS, too, but not as much since I went primal. I tend to have IBS type symptoms with my menstrual cramps and chocolate at that TOM has me doubled over in pain, every time!

P.S. Stay off the scale!

pbj
    thursday 12-08-2011
    I think that makes it 11 weeks since I started primal

Second day without weighing myself - YAY!
    sounds a little pathetic, I know - my goal is to cut it down to weighing once a week at first and then see how it goes from there. I'm surprised at how hard it is to break the habit...and I'm still trying to evaluate how I feel when I look at myself in the mirror without having a number to compare it to. It's funny how that number I get first thing in the morning changes my entire day - clothes I wear, food I eat, exercise...how I feel about myself.
    I KNOW that I should wear what I feel good in, eat what is good for me, and exercise to make my body stronger - but everything is experienced / perceived through the veil of a number on the scale.
    There have been periods in the last 10-20 years that I would weigh myself multiple times in a day - sounds a bit OCD. Maybe it is. Maybe that's one of the optimal health benefits I can look forward to: A healthier relationship with my body / weight.

I feel good - tummy is rumbly this morning - on a 16 hour IF and a little hungry! Last night's dinner was minimal - had pool league so grabbed some quick suasage and cheese around 6....and a few yummy stouts!

I need to get to the store - I hate it when I dont have the food that I want / need and then have to forage *read fast food salad* I'm getting so nothing but real food tastes good enough. I think it's a good thing, wait - I know it's a good thing. It just takes more time and planning.

So, back to 100% real food and staying away from the scale - whew!, what a tough week!

forward.

pbj
    my info:

My journal

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast