Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Barefoot Shoe Dilemma page 2

Melbouch is offline Junior Member
    Bognor Regis in the UK in other words Englands answer to Malibu!
    Primal Fuel
    Husband has said he'd like a pair for the beach, I would like a pair that don't give blisters !
    Bought the book Oct 2nd 2011
    Went Primal Oct 3rd
    Starting Stats:
    Weight 133lbs
    Bust 36"
    Waist 29"
    Hips 38"

Stats Jan 27
    Weight 121lbs
    Bust 35"
    Waist 27"
    Hips 36"

Run away joe is offline Junior Member
    I have both vibram 5 finger and the new balance minimus trail.. and 26 other pairs of running shoes.
    I reponded to another post about running in vibrams on cement.. basically dont do it. I mentioned that i have heard of people breaking their feet. today i spoke with one of my friends that lives across the country. I asked how his wifes running was coming along. She broke her foot in vibrams running on concrete.

I ran for about a year in regular running shoes and went for a barefoot run on the beach... it wasnt pleasant. I gradually switched to minimalist shoes and only after about another year of running did i have to foot strength to have a nice barefoot run on the beach. barefoot or running in vibrams is something you want to build up to. If you have been running a while the transition will be faster. one thing to remember is that the minimalist shoe became popular after the born to run book came out. The people in that book dont run on concrete.

On my long runs (10-15 miles when im not prepping for a marathon, longer if i am) i wear Nike frees with the 3.0 soles on them on concrete and all runs under 10 i wear a racing flat. The saucony a4 which is more minimalist than a lot of shoes that claim to be. I switch it up once a week with one of my other pairs of shoes just to change things up. None of my shoes have more than a 4mm drop in them.

Getting off subject here, you were asking for suggestions.
    The New Balance minimus seems to tight on the foot. be sure to try it out on a treadmill at the store if you can. they have some sharp corners and lines to them that tend to dig into the foot. it could very well be my foot though.

I would not get Vibram 5 fingers. Others will disagree with me on this, but having your toes spread apart by fabric is not natural. Your toes work separately.. but together...
    the fabric in between your toes is ver thin, but its there. think of your hands.. now think of putting on a thin pair of gloves. sure you can still everything you could do without gloves, but its not the same. it doesnt feel natural. things just arent exactly right.
    on the other end of the spectrum dont get a shoe that smashes your toes together. it happens in my NB minimus. my favorite pair of shoes (a4's) have a wide toes box.. my toes are free to move. again think of your hand. If you ever sprained a finger and had 2 taped together you know how odd that is.

to sum it up.
    Try the Saucony A4's, beautiful shoe.
    try the NB minimus. it might fit your foot better than it fits mine.
    The nike free run 3.0 is a great shoe for concrete. complete flexibility and natural feel with just enough padding to make long runs comfortable.

overall, run in what feels right. buy your shoes from your local running store over the big box stores if you can. a lot of times local running stores will let you try the shoes on the treadmill or even outside. also shoe company reps often visit running stores with demo shoes that you can take out for a decent run

Boneidle24seven is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the in-depth reply Joe. I will only be running off road and very short distances. No marathons or concrete for me! Basically I'm looking for a minimalist shoe for running around in the woods, just something to do some Grok style workouts. I probably wouldn't even need to wear them for that long. If I find them really comfy then I might do some trail walking in them too.

It's looking like I may have to mail order them too as initial searches have shown that nowhere round here stocks them. Trying them first could be a problem.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    my husband runs on concrete in his vibram komodos, which have a thicker sole (and are less slippy when the ground is wet). he has not broken his feet BUT he's not putting in the kind of mileage that RAJoe is talking about.

depending upon the quality of the trails, you could go actually barefoot and/or huaraches.

Vernon98 is offline Junior Member
    more than the shoes you wear for 1 hour/day while exercising. By the way those New Balance shoes have a 4mm heel drop, which while much smaller than most running shoes, it will still affect your gait negatively, and the experience will be quite different from barefoot running.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    depending upon the quality of the trails, you could go actually barefoot and/or huaraches.
    Huaraches ! ! ! You know i've always had this romantic notion of me running through the forest with my Kentucky rifle and buck skins just like Hawkeye in 'Last of the Mohicans' chasing that deer! In reality I can't see me in huaraches around here though. Not sure I would want to go 'real' barefoot either. Probably end up impaling my foot on something!

TAT 70 is offline Member
    I`ve got the Merrels & i`m really struggling to break them in.
    They have given me blisters on my heels that have taken ages to heal up.
    They are showing no signs of wearing either & i`ve had them for about
    2 months, could be just me tho

Quote Originally Posted by TAT 70 View Post
    I`ve got the Merrels & i`m really struggling to break them in.
    They have given me blisters on my heels that have taken ages to heal up.
    They are showing no signs of wearing either & i`ve had them for about
    2 months, could be just me tho
    Tried on the Merrell's yesterday. Couldn't get the sizing right and didn't like the 'Clown' look of the super wide toe box. My feet are big enough as it is!

I've now crossed them off my list. Trying the Vivo's next, fingers crossed!

Althaur is offline Senior Member
    I have the VFF's, the Merrells and the Vivo barefoot Neo Trails. My advice it the Neo trails. They have a nice wide toe-box, feel great on the feet and have plenty of grip. I took them straight out of the box and did an 8 mile trail run up and down some pretty steep hills. Perfect. I will probabl;y be getting the street version to replace my VFF's since I can't use them for PT in the Army anymore.

I love my VFF's as well, but I'm not too fond of them for trails. Rocks on individual toes sucks.

The Merrells just aren't too comfy. The toe box is too snug. Never could bring myself to run in them. Just wore them out during the summer to walk around in.

In regards to running on cement, I think the idea of breaking your feet is a little over hyped. A few people had it happen and now it's suddenly going to happen toeveryone. I routinely run on cement in my VFF's and haven't had any problems. I did buid up to wearing them all the time though. I have done up to 10 miles on cement/road with a 50 lbs rucksack on my back while running and had no problems. If someone is breaking their feet it's because their form is crap. You shouldn't be smaching into the ground that hard.

I'm now the proud owner of a pair of Vivobarefoot Neo trail's. Fit is good with plenty of toe room. I actually like the look of them too. Just need to try them out on the trails now!

Thanks for everyone's input and advice!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast