Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to cold shower (without getting sick)? page

fra0039 is offline Member

Question How to cold shower (without getting sick)?

Primal Fuel
    Hello,

I have read a lot about the wonders of cold showers but I am not sure how these are supposed to work. Should I alternate between warm and cold water? For how long? Should I always start and end with warm water? Should the water be warmer/colder on the head?
    Are we sure that cold showers do not get you sick (especially now that winter is coming)? And how cold is cold? I have read of people taking daily baths in ice-cold water (0 degrees C)... seriously?

Thanks!
    Last edited by fra0039; 10-17-2011 at 03:43 AM.

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I can think of NO benefit to taking a shower at a temperature that you don't like. Enjoy your shower at YOUR favorite temperature. Much less stress.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fra0039 View Post
    Are we sure that cold showers do not get you sick (especially now that winter is coming)? And how cold is cold? I have read of people taking daily baths in ice-cold water (0 degrees C)... seriously?

Thanks!
    Cold weather/being cold does NOT give you a cold/make you sick. Being exposed to pathogens(typically viruses during cold/flu season) will lead to disease if your immune system fails to fight it off. Stress can compromise your immune system.

The only reason cold weather is associated with cold/flu is because viruses survive longer outside the body in a colder/drier environment characteristic of the winter months, and because people are sometimes packed more densely together indoors during those months. In the summer months when it's warm you don't see colds/flu simply because it's too warm for effective disease transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by jsa23 View Post
    Cold weather/being cold does NOT give you a cold/make you sick. Being exposed to pathogens(typically viruses during cold/flu season) will lead to disease if your immune system fails to fight it off. Stress can compromise your immune system.

The only reason cold weather is associated with cold/flu is because viruses survive longer outside the body in a colder/drier environment characteristic of the winter months, and because people are sometimes packed more densely together indoors during those months. In the summer months when it's warm you don't see colds/flu simply because it's too warm for effective disease transmission.
    True, that and the decreased strenght of sun rays, with consequent decreased levels of vitamin D. But it is also true that exposition to cold temperatures sresses the body, making it easier to get sick. That is what I meant

Quote Originally Posted by Finnabair View Post
    Personally, I can think of NO benefit to taking a shower at a temperature that you don't like. Enjoy your shower at YOUR favorite temperature. Much less stress.
    Yeah but I feel much better after a cold shower, compared to a warm one. Even if a warm shower feels much better while taking it

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    Exactly what I'm saying! Do what benefits YOU!

PaleoPenn is offline Senior Member
    When I was stationed in Korea I discovered that if I took a scalding hot shower in the summer (a hot as I could stand) it seemed cooler when I went outside. Conversely, if I took a tepid (barely warm) shower in winter, it seemed to be not as cold and I could bear the cold weather a little better.

But as the other posters have said, do whatever works for you.
    50 year old Male
    Current Weight: 195

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    As for health benefits, cold water closes your pores so it's been said that you should finish your shower with a shot of cold water to close your pores, both in your hair & skin.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Karma is offline Senior Member
    For the thermogenic properties (burning body fat due to cold) following a shower, take a warm shower and do what you normally do like wash your body and your hair. When you are done with the business end of the shower, simply start reducing the amount of hot water in the mix a little bit at a time until you think you can't go any colder. Stay there for about 3 minutes and get out. Each day, try to stay longer or let it get a little colder. I found by simply doing this simple process I excellerated fat loss after a plateu of about three weeks in a manner of a week and a half. (21% to 18% BF).

Take a read here: Cold Water Therapy | Mark's Daily Apple

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    For the thermogenic properties (burning body fat due to cold) following a shower, take a warm shower and do what you normally do like wash your body and your hair. When you are done with the business end of the shower, simply start reducing the amount of hot water in the mix a little bit at a time until you think you can't go any colder. Stay there for about 3 minutes and get out. Each day, try to stay longer or let it get a little colder. I found by simply doing this simple process I excellerated fat loss after a plateu of about three weeks in a manner of a week and a half. (21% to 18% BF).

Take a read here: Cold Water Therapy | Mark's Daily Apple
    I do this most days, just to make the outside feel not so cold and keep myself from constantly turning the water temp up, which causes itchy skin for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast