Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I give up my morning protein shakes? page

dianejaquay is offline Member

Should I give up my morning protein shakes?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm fairly new to MDA (less than a month), and have been eating primal for over a week now. I'm feeling fantastic and have been dropping pounds. My question is about using whey protein. I've been drinking coffee protein shakes for breakfast for several years now, and I want to figure out if I need to find an alternative to them. Since I started eating primal I've continued to make the shakes, but added a couple of free range eggs and either uncured bacon, sausage, or Canadian bacon to my breakfast routine. The fact is that I LOVE my shakes, I've never enjoyed hot drinks very much, and before I came up with the coffee protein shakes I was a frappuccinno fanatic. Before primal my shakes consisted of 1% milk, 2 spoons of instant coffee granules, cocoa powder, stevia, and 2 scoops of 100% whey protein powder. Since going primal I've switched the liquid to coconut milk. One of the reasons I love my coffee shakes is because of the energy boost I get from drinking them, but since I've been eating primal I seem to have tons of energy, so I think I could give up the coffee. However I do like getting the extra protein from the protein powder, that added to the eggs and meat brings me up to a nice level of protein that keeps me full until lunch or beyond.

I guess what I'm asking is if would be better to make some other kind of cold, blended drink to have along with my eggs and meat, rather than the protein shake. And if so, any suggestions of what?

I also want to mention how much I love this forum. I've used it over the past week to keep me motivated, particularly in the evenings. I was terrible about snacking at night, but now I read success stories on MDA instead

Diane

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Well you might want to start just cutting out the coffee or reducing it from the shakes since you should be getting adequate energy from your way of eating. It doesn't sound like you're particularly interested in keeping coffee in your life.

Roughly how much protein do you end up having in the shake? Figure out how much protein you get in your "ideal" breakfast (with your eggs or meat on the side) and substitute that amount with "real food".

As for what to drink... Are we talking canned coconut milk or the stuff in the cartons? The cannot stuff is very fatty, which helps to fill up, but you probably don't need *that much* in one meal. Plus then you wouldn't get much protein. If you use almond milk or coconut milk from a carton, maybe you could just add some organic cocoa powder (and sweetener) for some "chocolate milk". Pumpkin smoothies are pretty delicious if you're into that (pumpkin puree with canned coconut milk, some liquid to make it easier to blend & pumpkin pie spices with some natural sweetener = super thick and delicious liquid pumpkin pie!). You need to chill the ingredients (except for the sweetener, if you use honey or agave nectar) beforehand in order to make it cold, unless you use ice instead of liquid.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Grizz is offline Banned
    I do like getting the extra protein from the protein powder
    Diane,
    May I ask what brand of Protein Powder are you using? What are in the ingredients List?

The problem with Whey Protein Powder is that for many people, it spikes blood sugar to WAY high, leading to diabetes. Get yourself a blood glucose meter, and check your blood sugar every 15 minutes for 1 hour after drinking your whey to see if you have a reaction to the whey. Your blood sugar should not rise above 100,

Grizz

The protein powder I'm using is from Sam's Club, it's Muscletech 100% Premium Whey Protein (I think Sam recently switched the brand they sell because I don't think that's the name of the stuff we used to get). Actually I know it isn't because I just looked at the label and I'm seeing that the carb count is higher than it used to be. It's 9 grams of carb in 1 scoop and I know it wasn't that much before. Yikes!!! It's 20 grams of protein in 1 scoop. When I was just drinking the shake for breakfast I always added 2 scoops to get 40 grams of protein (plus what I got from the milk), but when I started eating primal and added the eggs/meat to my breakfast, I cut it down to 1 scoop, and I figured that was giving me the protein I need for breakfast.

namelesswonder, I use lite coconut milk in a can, sometimes 1 full cup, other times 1/2 cup plus 1/2 cup water (depending on how much fat is in my breakfast meat). I've also at times made these with unsweetened almond milk, which I really like, but doesn't give the fat boost. I guess what I need to figure out is if I'm not getting an ideal amount of protein with the eggs and meat, what can I make a shake out of to get adequate protein. The thing about the shakes is that I find them very refreshing in the morning. I always add ice, and blend everything in the Vitamix, and drinking that sucker in the morning just makes my day I'm a VERY hot blooded person (going through menopause right now, but I always have been extremely hot), so the cold stuff just does it for me. As an aside, since I started eating primal over a week ago, I haven't had a single hot flash, which I consider a small miracle in itself, because even though I'm taking natural hormones they don't completely take away the hot flashes for me.

Grizz, I suppose if I want to continue with protein powder I probably should get a meter and check my blood sugar. I had gestational diabetes with my second pregnancy, and diabetes does run in my family. Just one of the reasons I'm trying to turn my life around by eating healthier!!

Diane

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dianejaquay View Post
    I guess what I need to figure out is if I'm not getting an ideal amount of protein with the eggs and meat, what can I make a shake out of to get adequate protein. The thing about the shakes is that I find them very refreshing in the morning. I always add ice, and blend everything in the Vitamix, and drinking that sucker in the morning just makes my day
    Diane
    I use a combination of liquid egg whites (Egg Whites International) and then egg white protein powder for my shakes. On average, I use 6 ounces of egg whites, which is just a bit over 13 grams of protein, and the egg white protein powder amount is dependent on if I have worked out that morning or not. If it's a gym day, I use a full scoop of the powder (24 grams of protein, 120 calories, 4 grams carbs) and on my off days I use a half scoop ( 12 grams protein, 60 calories, 2 grams carbs). I use the Jay Robb powder since it uses Stevia instead of aspartame or sucralose, or any artificial sweeteners or flavors.
    I still eat whole eggs, just use the whites for the shakes. I don't add anything to the shake but water and ice, and either a spoonful of coconut oil or a small scoop of plain coconut to the blender.

I've been dealing with multiple oral surgeries, and having the shakes to supplement the protein has helped me a lot ... plus I just like them !
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

lardomuncher is offline Senior Member
    i think you are all good, if you like your shake, keep drinkings. I would just make sure that you are using quality ingredients. Do some research on protein powders and get a high quality one. Check out energy first and optimum nutrition natural. If you are lifting weights then stick to 2 scoops,, if you are not I would go with 1 scoop.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I would never take whey protein as a "meal replacement". Whey creates a massive insulin spike, one that is greater than white bread. This, of course, is why it's so widely used as post-workout nutrition. Even if the body builders don't know why, the reason why whey is so effective IS the massive insulin spike. Your muscles are most insulin sensitive immediately following a heavy weight workout, and whey is the most effective protein to quickly shuttle amino acids to muscles for growth, repair and recovery. If you're just waking up and drinking whey, you're not doing anything but spiking your insulin for no reason. You'd be much better off eating that protein in the form of whole food instead of drinking it. Something like eggs or steak will stay with you for hours, spike your insulin more slowly and provide additional nutrition instead of just "empty protein". Hell, I'm against "meal replacement" shakes all around. If you're that much in a hurry, I'd rather go for a Larabar or something.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dianejaquay View Post
    Grizz, I suppose if I want to continue with protein powder I probably should get a meter and check my blood sugar. I had gestational diabetes with my second pregnancy, and diabetes does run in my family. Just one of the reasons I'm trying to turn my life around by eating healthier!!
    Diane
    That is all the more reason to get a meter. BEST DEAL less than $10 at WalMart & 50 Cents per strip. Most meters are @1 or more per test strip.
    ReliOn | Diabetes Products

This is my meter.
    http://www.relion.com/diabetes/blood.../relion-ultima
    Check your blood sugar 1st thing in the morning. Ideally it should be 85 to 95, and over 100 is Pre-Diabetes. Real easy to do. Lance your finger, Insert the strip in the meter, wait 5 seconds, then touch the strip to your drop of blood.

A FAR safer energy drink is recommended by Dr. Kruse:
    @ Grizz It changes with the seasons. In the summer I use Nutiva Coconut manna, stevia, 100% pure cacao chocolate powder, some blueberries, 4-6 eggs, and so delicious coconut unsweetened milk. I add cinnamon too. Occassionally I will add some whey protein in lieu of some of the eggs if my labs dictate it.
    Right now I am doing fall smoothies with lots of nutmeg pumpkin heavy cream eggs cinnamon ginger and some raspberries or a splash of real vanilla or almond

Trust me, you NEVER want to get diabetes, so take every precaution to avoid spiking your blood sugar. This could mean reduce your consumption of fruits and especially dried fruits & fruit beverages. These thinks will spike blood sugar, so test before & after to see the effect on you.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 10-17-2011 at 11:43 AM.

LolaLola is offline Member
    This is most likely a dumb question, but do you guys add raw eggs to your shakes?

Thanks everyone! It looks like adding some egg whites or egg white powder to a shake can give it that extra bit of protein I'm looking for, and I can skip the whey powder. And Grizz, you are so right, I NEVER want to get diabetes, I hated having to stick myself several times a day when I was pregnant, and that was just for a few months. Certainly don't want to have to do it for the rest of my life.

Diane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast