Thread: Sonny - 63 yo Going Primal to Fight Cancer and Shape Up page

sonny3 is offline Junior Member

Sonny - 63 yo Going Primal to Fight Cancer and Shape Up

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello all,

I am a 63yo man fighting Prostate Cancer. I am 6'1" and weighed in at 185lbs with 24% body fat last Sunday when I bought the PB Book and started my quest for a fitter and healthier me. The last two years of dealing with various medical attempts to rid myself of Prostate Cancer have taken a toll on me. I have lost a ton of muscle mass and my quest is to regain muscle and lose the body fat.

A fellow cancer buddy told me about PB. He has been traveling the PB path since May 2011 with great results. There are many things about PB that fit into my goals for physical well being and additionally there are potentially great benefits that may help me in my fight with PCa. None of the standard medical approaches have worked thus far.

My horizon has the potential for Hormone Therapy. HT has many side effects, the most pronounced of which are weight gain, loss of muscle mass and bone density issues. I do not see my doctor again for 6 months and we will make a decision about HT at that time.

I plan to use this next 6 months to get into the best shape I have ever been in my life. I have always been active, but never from a working out viewpoint. In January of this year I retired from a long second career as a College Sports official. In an average year I would umpire about 200-250 Fastpitch Softball games. This kept me in pretty good shape. But now I am turning to mush and I DO NOT LIKE IT AT ALL.

I have followed the PB eating plan fairly closely for the last week. I would guess that I am about 85/15 at this time. But I have not had any grains products at all.

When I stepped on the scales this morning, I was down to 180.6lbs.

As suggested in the book, I have started using FITDAY and tracking absolutely everything I eat and drink. When I pulled the report for the week it showed the following;

Average daily --Calories 1245, fat 73g, carbs 53g and protein 99. It doesn't sound like a lot of food, but I have been full and satisfied every day. I am eating when I am hungry and average 2 good meals a day. Snacks are walnuts, almonds, blueberries and a treat at night of 1 square of 72% dark chocolate and decafe coffee. The nightly snack is a BIG change for me. It used to be a cup of full strength coffee and and bunch of oreos or sweet rolls or powdered donuts, well you get the picture.

The fitness part of the plan starts tomorrow in earnest, melding the PB fitness plan with some traditional strength training with a trainer. This week I have been riding my bike 5-10 miles a day (doing a little sprinting on the bike too) and walking with the dog about 3/4 mile a day. Trying to get the joints ready for some good work. 5 knee operations over my life have left them in not so good shape, they won't take a lot of running at this time.

So this will be my journal and the story of my travels down the PB path. I welcome any and all tips, advice and critiques of how I am going about it.

I have been reading this forum many hours a day and see a tremendous amount of support and knowledge here. Thank you all for the time you spend here helping newbies like me.

Good luck to each of you in attaining your own personal goals,

Sonny

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Best of Luck, Sonny, as you fight this battle against Cancer. Any questions you have, someone here should have an answer for you.

I can't wait to see you as a Primal Success Story in the future.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Griffin, thanks for the welcome.

Up bright and early this morning. Heading to the labs for a Glucose Tolerance Test. Last test in the battery of tests suggested by the PB Book. Running the entire list that was suggested and a few more to establish a base line as I begin my journey. I have no idea what my present numbers are, it will be good to know. Really excited to see what the effect is of eating primal.

Grizz is offline Banned
    sonny,

1) Very Seriously - Immediately go on a zero cab diet! Cancer THRIVES on blood sugar, and any carbs you eat will feed your cancer cells first. Zero Carbs = STARVE CANCERS TO DEATH

2) Take 20,000 IU Daily of Vitamin D3 to boost your immune system. This level is no where near overdose at 40,000 IU. Get the Olive Oil based geltabs, not the soy oil based.
    See these links on Vit D3:
    Epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency sweeping the world
    Vitamin D optimization thoughts | Jack Kruse

3) NO SNACKING - EVER ! ! It messes up your liver function. Limit yourself to 3 meals - No Fruits ( too much sugar )

After 3 months, verify your Vit D3 blood level is 80 to 90 mg/ml ( higher than target but well below overdose at 120 mg/ml.) with this at home blood test-2 drops of blood required:
    Vitamin D Council - Order Test Kits

Finally read this from Dr. Kruse:
    How to tackle cancer | Jack Kruse

Also read my references on Vitamin D below.

Questions:
    1) How much do you weigh? Your height?
    2) Do you have belly fat?

Best to you, and please keep us informed of you progress:
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 10-17-2011 at 03:25 AM.

Grizz,

Thanks for the info. I have been researching diet and cancer for some time now as both my wife and I are dealing with cancer. She has also done a ton of research as she has been dealing with hers for 6 years now.

I am well aware of the sugar/insulin effect on cancer cells. I found the blog article you referenced most informative and I will be doing more research as a result.

In answer to your questions; I am 6'1" 180lbs and 34 inch waste. My multifunction digital scale show bodyfat at 24% (FWIW). I do not have a lot of belly fat, at least no more than a 63yo should have. I think most of my bodyfat comes from what is left covering my bones from the significant muscle mass loss I have seen over the last year. It was this aspect of PB that intrigued me the most. Elimination of body fat and increase of functional muscle mass.

I completed the GTT this morning and will know the results in a few days. As I said, I ran the entire battery of insulin and Cholesterol tests this morning, so I could establish a base line to see how things change with PB. I will be retested in 3 and 6 months.

Thanks for the feedback and good info,

Sonny

hazmat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    sonny,

1) Very Seriously - Immediately go on a zero cab diet! Cancer THRIVES on blood sugar, and any carbs you eat will feed your cancer cells first. Zero Carbs = STARVE CANCERS TO DEATH

2) Take 20,000 IU Daily of Vitamin D3 to boost your immune system. This level is no where near overdose at 40,000 IU. Get the Olive Oil based geltabs, not the soy oil based.
    See these links on Vit D3:
    Epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency sweeping the world
    Vitamin D optimization thoughts | Jack Kruse

3) NO SNACKING - EVER ! ! It messes up your liver function. Limit yourself to 3 meals - No Fruits ( too much sugar )

After 3 months, verify your Vit D3 blood level is 80 to 90 mg/ml ( higher than target but well below overdose at 120 mg/ml.) with this at home blood test-2 drops of blood required:
    Vitamin D Council - Order Test Kits

Finally read this from Dr. Kruse:

Also read my references on Vitamin D below.

Questions:
    1) How much do you weigh? Your height?
    2) Do you have belly fat?

Best to you, and please keep us informed of you progress:
    Grizz
    Grizz have you read the two recent posts by Paul Jaminet on cancer?
    Perfect Health Diet An Anti-Cancer Diet

Grizz is offline Banned
    hazmat,

Thank you for the link. I just read Paul Jaminet's link, and I just don't agree with him. Not at all. Not one Iota. He is feeding cancer cells with far too many carbs. IMO, cancer cells will THRIVE under that diet.

I have to agree with Dr. Kruse, that is is necessary to starve the cancer cells by a ketogenic diet of zero carbs and boost the immune system with larger doses of Vitamin D3 among other things:
    It is imperative that you know that this disease cannot only be fought but it can be prevented if you decide to immediately alter some of the things you do and lose some of the dogma you have accumulated in your life.
    If I had cancer, I would follow Dr. Kruse to the letter.

Dr. Kruse is my Bible on a lot of subjects.
    Blog Index | Jack Kruse

He picks up where my other GOD leaves off, Dr. Davis:
    The Heart Scan Blog | Measure, track, and reduce coronary atherosclerotic plaque
    Wheat Belly | Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight

Grizz

hazmat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    hazmat,

Thank you for the link. I just read Paul Jaminet's link, and I just don't agree with him. Not at all. Not one Iota. He is feeding cancer cells with far too many carbs. IMO, cancer cells will THRIVE under that diet.

I have to agree with Dr. Kruse, that is is necessary to starve the cancer cells by a ketogenic diet of zero carbs and boost the immune system with larger doses of Vitamin D3 among other things:

If I had cancer, I would follow Dr. Kruse to the letter.

Dr. Kruse is my Bible on a lot of subjects.
    Blog Index | Jack Kruse

He picks up where my other GOD leaves off, Dr. Davis:
    The Heart Scan Blog | Measure, track, and reduce coronary atherosclerotic plaque
    Wheat Belly | Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight

Grizz
    I agree with the ketogenic diet, I feel like you have to keep your body in a fat burning state and avoid filling up your glyogen stores. With that being said he makes some interesting points about an extremely low carb diet putting stress on the body and gluconeogenesis stressing the liver when it converts protien to glucose. I'm not sure which side I agree with but sides have an interesting opinion. Either way they both put you into ketosis but the ketogenic diet seems more extreme.