Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Diet showing higher mortality rate in low-carb, high-meat diets? page

  1. #1
    kmax1000's Avatar
    kmax1000 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3

    Diet showing higher mortality rate in low-carb, high-meat diets?

    What is your reaction to this study showing a higher mortality rate in low-carb plant based diets vs. low-carb meat based diets? Low-Carbohydrate Diets and All-Cause and Cause-Specific Mortality I am living Primal, but want to be more comfortable in my decision in respect to my long-term health.

  2. #2
    Fury's Avatar
    Fury is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    158
    I'm puzzled as to why the animal protein groups show similar levels of daily red and/or processed meat intake as the vegetable protein groups

  3. #3
    peril's Avatar
    peril is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    2,679
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

    Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

  4. #4
    Chasintrail's Avatar
    Chasintrail is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis IN
    Posts
    275
    Well, as usual Denise has done a bang up job, have to read it all when I get time.

    One thing to look for in these types of studies is that they are NOT STUDIES, they are data mining exercises for publication. Here they are mining the Harvard Nurses and Health Professionals follow-up data. Nothing wrong with that, it's a great way of generating hypothesis. But taken in the context of "hey look we provded something", yeah, not so good. Pretty much crap really. But hey, it's a publish or perish profession, gotta get your name in print somehow.

  5. #5
    lardomuncher's Avatar
    lardomuncher is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    124
    also I think primal diet can be done in some many different variations. Very often I see people post pics of their typical meals and all I see is a giant peace of steak covered in butter, with a side a bacon, friend eggs and 2 pieces of broccoli. I personally prefer the version that is high in vegetables with a side of lean mean and preferably fish and healthy fats from avocados, fish oil, coconut oil, nuts. I think it's hard to make any reasonable conclusion because there are so many different variables and so many different variations of the paleo diet.

  6. #6
    fpsjosh01's Avatar
    fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New Britain, CT
    Posts
    1,079
    Here's the information you don't read.

    High meat eaters feel better, go outside and live their life, and die falling off a cliff doing something awesome.

    Low carb lifestyle to be blamed.

    XD

    Edit:
    If you read it carefully...

    Limitations: Diet and lifestyle characteristics were assessed with some degree of error. Sensitivity analyses indicated that results were probably not substantively affected by residual confounding or an unmeasured confounder. Participants were not a representative sample of the U.S. population.

    Oh really? That just means you did it wrong and your results don't matter. That's ok, you can just assume that what happened proved your agenda. I don't mind.
    Last edited by fpsjosh01; 10-17-2011 at 11:17 AM.
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

  7. #7
    mmsantos's Avatar
    mmsantos is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by lardomuncher View Post
    also I think primal diet can be done in some many different variations. Very often I see people post pics of their typical meals and all I see is a giant peace of steak covered in butter, with a side a bacon, friend eggs and 2 pieces of broccoli. I personally prefer the version that is high in vegetables with a side of lean mean and preferably fish and healthy fats from avocados, fish oil, coconut oil, nuts. I think it's hard to make any reasonable conclusion because there are so many different variables and so many different variations of the paleo diet.
    Agree, except for the lean meat part. If you source your meat and fish from well-raised (grass-fed, organic, wild, etc) sources, then eat until you are satisfied. Grok had access to this type of meat all year round, while nuts and avocados could only be found in small periods of the year. I don't get why people are afraid of animal fat and think oily fish is much better - they're both excellent (as good?) sources of energy. I'd much rather have a very fatty steak from a well-raised lamb than a fillet of fish that was farmed.

    Vegetables are definitely the way to go, though. While meat makes me the most satisfied of any other food, vegetables (especially raw ie. salad) give you a sense of well-being that is incomparable to anything else. And yeah, way too many variables to consider each in turn. Just focus on a clean, varied diet and you'll be fine.

  8. #8
    lardomuncher's Avatar
    lardomuncher is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by mmsantos View Post
    Agree, except for the lean meat part. If you source your meat and fish from well-raised (grass-fed, organic, wild, etc) sources, then eat until you are satisfied. Grok had access to this type of meat all year round, while nuts and avocados could only be found in small periods of the year. I don't get why people are afraid of animal fat and think oily fish is much better - they're both excellent (as good?) sources of energy. I'd much rather have a very fatty steak from a well-raised lamb than a fillet of fish that was farmed.

    Vegetables are definitely the way to go, though. While meat makes me the most satisfied of any other food, vegetables (especially raw ie. salad) give you a sense of well-being that is incomparable to anything else. And yeah, way too many variables to consider each in turn. Just focus on a clean, varied diet and you'll be fine.
    I'm not scared of animal fat. But, all in moderation. During grok times, wild game was also very lean. Much leaner than farm raised animals. Even if you go hunting right now, wild game is so different from farmed. And people are forgetting that grok was not able to go into a store and purchase the meal. I believe that accesses to meat and fat greatly depended on a successful kill. Even if you watch some shows on tv now where people live the way Grok did (Aborigine, amazon, etc), meat is very highly priced and hard to come by because it's hard to get a kill in the wild.

  9. #9
    fpsjosh01's Avatar
    fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New Britain, CT
    Posts
    1,079
    One last thing. Mortality rates for everybody is 100%. Everyone is going to die.

    If I die because I'm gonna eat bacon, then my life was worth it.

    I'm so sick of these vilify red meat articles :-P.
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

  10. #10
    pacificBeef's Avatar
    pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    357
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lardomuncher View Post
    During grok times, wild game was also very lean. Much leaner than farm raised animals.
    From what I've read farm raised animals have a lot more intramuscular fat but wild game isn't "lean" by any stretch of the imagination.

    Caution, dead animals in the link

    Tribe of Five: Hunting for Good Food and Roaming Bison

    I've also read that even modern hunter gatherer types will discard muscle meat in favor of the fattiest parts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •