Thread: Is a Paleo Diet good for Women suffering from Lipedema? page

qdbrown is offline Junior Member

Is a Paleo Diet good for Women suffering from Lipedema?

Shop Now
    This is not a very well understood chronic disease, likely to be genetic, that effects hormones to where the women get the big thighs and legs, but can well shaped everywhere else. So they are not obese, although many assume they are, including many doctors.

It often develops after puberty, child birth or some sort of trauma trigger. It can get so bad it can cause mobility issues and be very painful.

It looks like some doctors looked at this condition around the 1940's, and there is current information about how to deal with the condition, but I could not help to wonder with the way our diets can express genes, I was wondering if anyone knew how or if a paleo diet would either stall the condition or even help it?

Jenni77 is offline Junior Member
    Well, technically you can't heal it.

I developed it after long years of starving myself in diets and was diagnosed with it a year ago. My body was basicly storing all the fat in my legs. I starved myself since I was 11 years old on low fat-low calories-low everything-diets, in order to look like the girls in the magzines. My body was then just trying to keep the little fat I gave it, and never let go of it.

I went to many doctors, who told me to wear compression tights everyday. For a good while I sqeezed myself into those every morning-painfull. I very easily got bruises, my legs hurt most of the times and were sore to the touch. I could barely stand.
    I tried everything to "cure" my lipedema: Vitamins, Fasting, Medication, Sport and so on. One doctor even told me to only eat cooked grains and little no animalprotein/fat, so I ate only cooked grains in water for 2 weeks. It was horrible. The plan was to slowly include veg. after awhile. Anyway the diet made my legs go worse and I even had to go twice a week to lymphatic drainage... I am in my twenties.

I have been trying to be primal for the last 8 months now. The pain in my legs stopped, no bruises, and they got thinner. Also the little water/fat collections(bubbles) under the skin have dissapeared. However as soon as I eat white bread, milk, glutamate, alkohol, coffee it seems to get worse again pretty quickly. I haven't narrowed it down to any particular one of those, but I am pretty sure it is all dairy products(even butter) and grains.

These days I can say, I have no lipedema. But technically I am just controlling it through my primal lifestyle. I am very thankfull for that, because the first time since I have been a young girl, I can eat food I like and don't have to starve, and I am not gaining weight at all.

Besides the dissapearance of my lipedema, my period normalised and insead of 4 days of bellypain and 8 days of bleeding, it is now just a couple of hours of bellypain and 4 days of bleeding. Also my skin cleared up, I don't have to sleep after meals, feel full of energy every day, my hair got fuller, i am more relaxed (no more arguements with my bf ) , my body looks more toned, no migranes anymore and the list could go on.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Whoa. My mind has just been blown. I had never heard of lipedema until this post, and just googled it. Then I did an image search and found many pictures that look just like me--fairly normal proportions above the waist, with grossly disproportional legs (in my case, my thighs more so than calves). I had gastric bypass and lost over 100 lbs. but my thighs were still rather big compared to the rest of my body. In contrast, I felt like skin and bones above the waist.

I always thought I was just pear shaped with bad cellulite and prone to bruising, but now I wonder if I have lipedema. I'm really glad to hear that at least one person is finding success with a Primal diet, so at least I'm on the right track. In fact, I've lost weight since going Primal, and for the first time it doesn't seem to be coming straight off my boobs first--I kinda wondered how I could still be a C cup at my current weight (when I lost weight after gastric bypass, I was a B cup at this weight). Interesting!

What helps me is, to be very strict about some of the primal rules:

1. Strictly stay away from dairy and any dairy products, at all times. At least for a while. It seems to make it worse.(I realized that, when I got bruises without actually hurting myself.)

2. Same goes for alcohol. Maby very very little dosage and only ever with food.
    (I am going to try an add a little dairy products back in after a a couple of years, when my body has fixed itself.)

3. Swim and walk.

4. Soft leg massages, or dry brushing into direction of the heart.

5. Smoked fish or fishoil capsules intake. (This is important, especially for women and their omega 3 fat storage. Mark wrote an article about that a while back.)

By the way: I wasn't primal yet, when i was diagnosed. When I started looking at the pictures in the internet i developed anxiety disorder, because doctors told me, I can NEVER heal it, and it WILL ALWAY get worse, especially if I don't wear compression and stay on a very low calorie diet. Also they sad, I am allowed no sunbaths and sport. It was such a tough time, because I believed in convetional medicine. I was just sitting at home crying. It was like beeing dead alive.

Marks Daily Apple saved my life, and I thought I had lost it at that point. I just gave it a shot and it worked, because I had tried everything else. These days I am very sceptical with our convetional medicine.