Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coconut water? page

Siren is offline Senior Member

coconut water?

Shop Now
    I know it's pretty high in carbs, but it's not added sugar and minimally processed (I think)... any thoughts?

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    I use it only as an alternative to conventional sports drinks (Gatorade, etc.). It's great for re-hydrating after, or hydrating during, prolonged exercise and sweating. For instance, I drink it after playing basketball for a couple hours (outdoors, in Miami = loads of fluid loss).
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Grok is offline Senior Member
    I used to like this, but I have such an addictive personality that I can't stop myself from drinking them at any time. If you can restrain yourself to only drinking them after a workout then maybe that's okay. Also as soon as I take one sip I end up chugging the whole can in about five seconds. Therefore I just avoid buying it.

Gweebles is offline Member
    When I am fasting or when it's super hot and I have been sweating up a storm, it is awesome cold. They also have one with mango in it if you want to add a few more carbs and some more vitamins. It's pretty expensive though, so as an occasional treat or post workout drink, I say go for it.
    Success is getting what you want, Happiness is wanting what you get~Brother Dave Gardner

petriquor is offline Senior Member
    I got some when it was on sale to try it. Used it during my workouts but didn't really see any immediate benefit. I mean, it is basically glorified sugar water. Gatorade without all the extra additives.

Tastes good though.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    If you're just looking to hydrate yourself, just add some fresh squeezed lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt to your water. Much cheaper, and without the carbs. If you enjoy the coconut water though, there's certainly nothing wrong with it!
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm the same as Velocity. I work outside in the desert all day, and during the summer it can keep me from getting a headache. I drink a lot of water, but when you sweat that much, you really need to replace the electrolytes or you end up regretting it. Ask me how I know.

I usually buy the single serve cartons from Vita Coco so I don't just chug it by the gallon. 11.1 oz with 15g of carbs - not really that bad if you're working hard enough to need it. A little pricey, but cheaper than the copay on my migraine meds if I don't drink it.

Watch the labels, though. Vita Coco and O.N.E seem to be pretty good, but there are some that have a bunch of added crap.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Siren is offline Senior Member
    Wow, thanks for all the responses! I've had 2 single serving containers of Naked Coconut Water in my fridge since before I went primal, and I hate wasting stuff that *might* be okay... I'm really glad I posted! Now I can take em to the gym with me and have em after my HIIT workout; I work up quite a sweat after all those burpees and sledgehammers! =)

BTW, Grok: I LOVE your signature line! Hahahaha =)

petriquor is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tradawg View Post
    If you're just looking to hydrate yourself, just add some fresh squeezed lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt to your water. Much cheaper, and without the carbs. If you enjoy the coconut water though, there's certainly nothing wrong with it!
    Um, careful. If you're saying there's nothing wrong with enjoying coconut water, of course. But to say there's nothing wrong with what basically amounts to sugar water (albeit minimally processed and from a nautural source) is a little iffy. If you're very active, need the energy boost, and burning it all off right away you could argue it's a good choice, but other than that I don't see any reason to recommend it. If you're looking for nutrients/antioxidants, go for tea and real food.

Pheebie is offline Senior Member
    I think it's okay in moderation. I always keep some on hand for those times I've had a really intense workout with lots of fluid loss. Also, it's great to have the day after you may have happened to over-indulge in alcohol. (I'm not condoning that on a regular basis, mind you, but it happens. And when/if it does, coconut water truly helps balance out the electrolytes ~ it really makes a difference in the way you feel.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast