Thread: Lustig at Harvard 10/20 page

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member

Lustig at Harvard 10/20

Primal Fuel
    The Sugar Epidemic: Politics vs. Policy - Eventbrite

The Sugar Epidemic: Politics vs. Policy For those of you in Boston that might be interested. Free, a few tickets left.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Crap. First time I have to work the evening at my new job.

I suspect you will be hearing more from this in the coming years. Arranged as part of http://www.ted.com/pages/about_tedx , not sure if the video will be posted. Essentially an argument for treating sugar like alcohol in terms of taxation and control. Less science and more public health statistics than "Sugar, The Bitter Truth." But more than an argument because this was at Harvard LAW and there are closed sessions today and tomorrow and something tells me that there is some interest in taking a run at this the same way as was done w/ tobacco.

I can't say I'd support full control but as Lustig said in reference to other less intrusive ideas like elimination of subsidies for corn or more useful/informative labeling: "it ain't gonna happen." And this guy has some pretty heavy contacts politically.

He's got his science down cold and will not publicly reference unpublished data (he had the cameras turned off for some of it), mentioned some more in conversation after the talk and he is not interested in any other ingredient (specifically fructose, rather like Dr. davis and wheat) but you might look at him and say "heal thyself, Doctor." He's not taking care of himself.

Ultimately these folks seem primarily motivated by controlling and reducing the external societal costs rather than promoting health. For me this is a more fundamental problem w/ the whole system that aside from this and related communities no one talks about.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    As far as public policy goes, controlling the societal costs is akin to controlling the symptoms of diabetes. We keep injecting insulin into the system with the understanding that there is no fix without addressing the actual cause.

At this point, is there any way to truly minimize the societal costs without maximizing health? Every shortcut we've tried to take in the past 100 years has caused one problem or another- chemical fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides, artificial hormones, grain fattening of livestock, genetic manipulations, reduction of saturated fats, promotion and subsidies for grain...

What improvement in modern food supplies has actually proven to be a benefit to people's health?

I agree that it's the whole suite of things that have happened in the last 50 years. The "one thing" focus is just wrong, there is no silver bullet. Doc assembled an impressive array of data to support his isolation of fructose as the culprit and further claimed that the reason paleo/atkins/south beach etc "worked" was fructose restriction. Here he loses me. Also was a bit testy about my own success vis a vis primal and as I said could use a bit of it himself.

I do agree with the general frustration w/ the political environment about the things you mentioned but I truly believe that if you want to change the world you have to start with yourself. You do that and you've done the hard part. In the long run Sisson et all will do more good, one success story at a time, than any goddam new taxes on foodstuff will do.

tony198793 is offline Junior Member
    reduction of saturated fats, promotion and subsidies for grain...