Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin K and Coumadin page

Tabby294 is offline Member

Vitamin K and Coumadin

Primal Fuel
    Hi there! I will be starting my new woe tomorrow, I've been reading for the past week in preparation. However, a month ago I was diagnosed with a bloodclot in my lung. I am on coumadin. The problem is that I am only allowed 2 servings of "greens" a week because the vitamin K fights the coumadin. These are the veggies that are high:

asparagus, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cooked cabbage, collard greens, eggplant, kale, mustard greens, onions, spinach and turnip greens.

I love nothing more than a big salad, but can you offer any other suggestions of veggies? I dont mean to sound stupid, but I am drawing a blank. I used to eat an entire bag of frozen broccoli, or brussel sprouts in a sitting but guess I cant do that anymore

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ms.C is offline Junior Member
    Winter squash, green beans, onion, zucchini, yellow sqash

I am going to have to do some serious meal planning I think.

reflex is offline Member
    Talk with your doctor or pharmacist: the issue is consistency. If you want to have those leafy greens, you theoretically CAN have them, you just need to be consistently taking them, so that you have a consistent INR.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reflex View Post
    Talk with your doctor or pharmacist: the issue is consistency. If you want to have those leafy greens, you theoretically CAN have them, you just need to be consistently taking them, so that you have a consistent INR.
    From talking to folks on coumadin I understand this is true. I think that Dr's are so used to people that happily comply with the orders to ditch the healthy stuff or have patients that don't eat it to begin with that they don't have the discussion.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin K in the case of vascular disease is quite confusing. Its commonly stated that Vitamin E and Vitamin K are antagonists because the former is antithrombotic while the latter is prothrombotic. Yet recent research out of Maastrict by Cees Vermeer's group is showing that Vitamin K inhibits arterial calcification.

This means that advice to reduce green vegetables or grassfed dairy could be deleterious. I would definitely ask for the coumadin to be managed in conjunction with a diet rich in these vegies
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Yes - it is all about maintaining a consistant diet. You should decide how many leafy greens you want regularly in your diet and then adjust the dosage accordingly. But you NEED to do this with your doctor and monitor your INR VERY closely while you are adjusting. Then stick with the amounts you are eating.

A bloodclot in the lung is nothing to mess with - so make sure the is all done under the close care of your doctor.

I have told them several times how many greens I eat and they consistently limit me to 2 servings. I am not sure if this is because they are still working on getting my INR consistent? Grocery shopping was a nightmare, the squash and zucchinis were laughable..I cant believe they even put them out. I managed to get frozen veggies and some fresh peppers, snow peas, and mushrooms. I have my INR checked again on Friday and I will mention to them that I want to add more greens.

Also I was reading about the Omega 3's and 6's, I am confused, I am taking a supplement that is both. Is that ok? Or should I only be taking and Omega 3 fish oil pill? I dont like fish...

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    If your INR is up and down, then you need to be more consistent in what you eat until the INR is consistent. What have your INRs been? How often are you getting tested? Are you under the care of an Anticoagulation Clinic (otherwise known as a Coumadin clinic)? One month out of an embolism isn't the best time to start a new eating regimen. Make sure to let the clinic or doc know about any and all supplements you take.
    Positively Radical — Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

I go to the coumadin clinic 1x a week. The last two weeks I have been at 2.1 (I should be between 2.0 and 3.0). You are probably right that I picked a bad time to change my eating habits, but my health is out of control, this really scared me and continuing to eat the way I was is no good either. The only supps. I am taking are fish oil and I have let them know about those other than that everything else is prescription

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast