Thread: Good morning, fellow Grokkers! page

maryla is offline Junior Member

Good morning, fellow Grokkers!

Shop Now
    Good morning, fellow Grokkers!

Hi! My name is Mary, and I thought I'd make the obligatory introduction post. I am only really now starting to look at the forums, although I've been looking at the rest of the MDA site since late August.

And now, from the from the "Obligatory forum Introduce yourself thread page":

Your location: USA, Mid-south

How Primal are you
    : 95%? All primal foods, just not always grass-fed/pastured. Getting more sleep, lifting heavy things, sprinting, moving frequently at a slow pace, playing more I'm currently aiming to stay in the 50-80ish grams of carbs daily range.

Do you consume dairy: Yes. Butter for cooking, cream or whole milk in my tea/coffee, low carb / greek yogurt.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes. Water, coffee, and tea. Cream or whole milk in my coffee, sometimes in the tea. (I used to drink Diet Coke all day long! Bleh!)

Motivator for switching to Primal: Aside from the fact that it just makes sense? My weight, high triglycerides (300+, don't even remember what it was exactly), "pre-diabetes." My mother, who has a slew of her own health issues, had just been told by her doctor to watch her carbs or else, so I was looking up low carb stuff online and found MDA. It made sense, so here I am.

Favorite exercise: Sprinting - I feel exhilirated afterward. One day, I hope to be able to box jump and do a real pull-up.

Favorite Primal food: Mmmm. Wild-caught fish (cod, orange roughy, still getting used to new fish, never ate much of it before) and colourful veggies, with butter, garlic, salt, black pepper, and lemon juice. I'd say it has to be tied with this Indian bhuna dish modified from one of my Indian cookbooks, traditionally made with lamb, although I make it with beef. Basically a curry with onion, garlic, tomatoes, and coconut milk.

Best part about being Primal: I'm not so HUNGRY anymore! I used to have to eat every 2 hours minimum just to prevent myself from crashing. I was always hungry, always tired, and always wanted food. I lived on grains, tons of fruit, and tons of Skim milk and low-fat/no-fat dairy products all day, everyday.

Worst part about being Primal: I probably spend too much time searching for new recipes online and looking at galleries of primal foods (thanks chowstalker and dessertstalker) >.>

Well, I guess those questions pretty much sum up why I'm here. I've struggled with my weight and health throughout my life. My highest recorded weight was 302, this past May at the doctor's office. I had gotten down to 285 by the time I first found MDA, one weekend in late August. I went out to the grocery the next Monday, bought out the produce section, and cleared out and restocked my spice cabinet. I bought a stand-alone freezer and started filling it up with various meats and veggies.

Long story semi-short, I started recording all of my food intake on FitDay, started cooking real food again, and totally cut out all grains and white potatoes. I had a set-back for a week and a half after I made homemade cinnamon applesauce. It was so awesome, I made two more batches, and I loved it so much that I just didn't stop at one serving. I didn't track my progress on FitDay as much that week, and fell behind. Anyway, I have picked it back up, and decided to limit myself to one fruit per day (or two plums). I am recording my foods daily again on FitDay. I am down to 264 pounds, and feeling so much better than I did before.

I have re-discovered my love for cooking, and I am always looking for new things to try. My one stipulation? It has to be colourful and look AWESOME.

I look forward to reading more of the forums! On that note, I hope everyone is having a lovely Sunday.

Live long and prosper! .\\//

-Mary

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Welcome aboard, and I hope the Primal experience works well for you. There are loads of good people here, and information galore. Free Your Mind, and your Grok will follow:-)