Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The moneyless man page

Valkyria is offline Senior Member

The moneyless man

I'm reading this book at the moment, and although it's not about being primal(Mark Boyle is/was vegan) I still think it has a lot going for it. Besides it's very well written.
    The idea of cutting down on expenses, being environmentally friendly and becoming more self sufficient are all things that fit with a primal lifestyle I think.
    I definitely feel inspired to grow food, forage and try and make more things myself!

Some related websites:
    The urban guide to becoming self sufficient 'ish' | Urban Homesteading on a budget
    justfortheloveofit.org | Promoting Skillsharing | Learn Skills, share tools, save money and make great new friends
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

texas.grok is online now Senior Member
    I have tried to live a minimalist lifestyle for the last couple of years. Not so much a survivalist life as just cutting down on stuff and what I choose to spend money on. For more on being a minimalist check out: The Story of Stuff, A Guide to Creating a Minimalist Home :zenhabits

Our society has become crazed with consumerism which has not only hurt out health but our economy and environment.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Living beneath one's means and having money in the bank is the best sleep aid out there. I highly recommend it. I was teased for years but that has turned to quiet envy. I think this depression (It is limited, but that's what it is for those out of work) is going to change habits for a long time. There is no question that growing up in large families in the 1930's shaped my parents' habits for a lifetime.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    I have tried to live a minimalist lifestyle for the last couple of years. Not so much a survivalist life as just cutting down on stuff and what I choose to spend money on. For more on being a minimalist check out: The Story of Stuff, A Guide to Creating a Minimalist Home :zenhabits
    Our society has become crazed with consumerism which has not only hurt out health but our economy and environment.
    That's how I'm starting to think as well. I just don't want to have much stuff ... Doesn't feel right. Will check out your links.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

CMHFFEMT is offline Member
    I have also been moving faster and faster towards minimalism. I find that the less stuff that I have the happier I am. I was actually looking around my apartment the other day and thinking about how many square feet of space I could do without and it is a little apartment. I am also always looking at ways to use space more effeciently and such. I look at a big house now and all I can think of is what a waste. I look at a big house and think how many awesome vacations did that cost. Also how many resources is being used up to heat and cool empty space that is never being used. I have had a fantasy of moving into a yurt for an extended amount to time or building a house out of shipping containers. Here is a cool Ted talk about the subject Graham Hill: Less stuff, more happiness | Video on TED.com

Also thanks for the book idea its now on my wishlist and also for the cool link.

Quote Originally Posted by CMHFFEMT View Post
    I have also been moving faster and faster towards minimalism. I find that the less stuff that I have the happier I am. I was actually looking around my apartment the other day and thinking about how many square feet of space I could do without and it is a little apartment. I am also always looking at ways to use space more effeciently and such. I look at a big house now and all I can think of is what a waste. I look at a big house and think how many awesome vacations did that cost. Also how many resources is being used up to heat and cool empty space that is never being used. I have had a fantasy of moving into a yurt for an extended amount to time or building a house out of shipping containers. Here is a cool Ted talk about the subject Graham Hill: Less stuff, more happiness | Video on TED.com

Also thanks for the book idea its now on my wishlist and also for the cool link.
    I know what you're saying ... After reading that book I've stopped envying people who have more money than me. Now I feel I bit sorry for them instead. I know many people who work a lot to earn enough, but myself I just want to live and be happy. I would rather work less and have less money. I'll have to do something about that soon ...
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

mindo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyria View Post
    I know what you're saying ... After reading that book I've stopped envying people who have more money than me. Now I feel I bit sorry for them instead. I know many people who work a lot to earn enough, but myself I just want to live and be happy. I would rather work less and have less money. I'll have to do something about that soon ...
    People who envy money and possessions never win cause it's a never ending chase. I come from a group of friends who are very money oriented and it's easy to tell they're not any happier than they were 10 years ago. To be honest I'm pretty sure they're less happy.

highaerials36 is offline Senior Member
    I like pretty much everything said here, except maybe the whole living in a small space. I like to have an open living space with room to move around. I know that you can do that outdoors, but indoors is good as well.

Go-Pre is offline Member
    Eddie Vedder - Society:

Oh, it's a mystery to me
    We have a greed with which we have agreed
    And you think you have to want more than you need
    Until you have it all you won't be free

Society, you're a crazy breed
    Hope you're not lonely without me...

When you want more than you have
    You think you need...
    And when you think more than you want
    Your thoughts begin to bleed
    I think I need to find a bigger place
    Because when you have more than you think
    You need more space

Society, crazy indeed

There's those thinking, more-or-less, less is more
    But if less is more, how you keeping score?
    Means for every point you make, your level drops
    Kinda like you're starting from the top
    You can't do that...

Society, crazy indeed

Society, have mercy on me
    Hope you're not angry if I disagree...
    Society, crazy indeed

kiss is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I used to not have a home, but I wasn't homeless. I just travelled and worked and housing in most places was provided or I worked onboard boats. That sort of thing. I had a friend who never moved out of the town we grew up in ask me once about where I keep all of my stuff and I told her I didn't have anything that I couldn't pack up and carry with me. She looked at me like I was completely batshit insane. In my opinion, the more you have, the more you have to worry about.
    Since getting married a couple of years ago I've settled down quite a bit and now my husband and I have *gasp* a rented storage locker. Mostly he stores his tools there, but I never in my wildest thoughts would have imagined paying rent to store "stuff".
    Our mid-term goal is to buy a smallish RV and travel and work our way around the U.S. and if it won't fit in the RV then we have to get rid of it. I cannot wait!
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast