Any practitioners?
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    My sister...

Rosegin is offline Senior Member
    I'm not but I've seen it work. Early this year my son had an ear infection that was still horribly painful after three days on antibiotics. I took him to a friend who practices Reiki. She did whatever it is they do (lol) and he was instantly better. It was amazing.
    ~Sandy

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I'm a medical qigong practitioner, which is like Reiki on steroids. It's a much older and more extensively developed practice (there's differential diagnosis involved, etc.). Reiki is neat but it's kindergarten stuff compared to MQ

Aloe is offline Member
    My mom is Reiki practitioner level 2, a friend is Magnified Healing Practitioner level 1. I am a Transpersonal Psychologist, a channeler, but not a Reiki practitioner
    Nice to see people with these interest around!
    Height: 5ft 9"
    Current pants size: 20 (Canada sizing).
    Goal: I'll let you know when I've reached it.

“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind
    is a faithful servant. We have created a society that
    honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.”
    ~Albert Einstein~

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I'm open to the possibility of reiki-like things working but it sets off my scam detector.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    I'm very skeptical of reiki. One reason is because, as a scientist, I am open to new ideas but cannot help but analyze them critically. The other is because a guy in my past who is a reiki practitioner and a masseuse and who claims that these things make him very emotionally and spiritually connected to other people actually ended up taking emotional advantage of me and hurting me very badly and so I have had a negative association with it ever since.

However, I am interested to hear more about it from people who are not him.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Aloe is offline Member
    I understand the skepticism... there are lots of scammers around. But there are lots of people - me included - who believe in this and practice it in true faith. I know several

I don't know where to begin to explain why this makes sense to me. My belief is founded heavily on my own experience, philosophy and quantum physics.

The one thing I'll say, though, is that everything is about belief/faith. Everyone lives according to one paradigm in which they believe. Scientists too; actually, they have the strongest faith in their paradigm The thing is, you can't escape the fact that perception (observation being one of them) isn't all we want it to be. In many branches in psychology (cognitive, constructive, psychoanalytic, humanistic, transpersonal, etc.), the understanding that every perception is always tinted by your previous experience of it (memory) or beliefs on it, is mainstream. That's especially interesting if you consider that it's pretty easy to change or even create memories on people.

I've read and studied a lot of metaphysics and transpersonal psychology, a little quantum physics (enough to sustain my beliefs) and have experienced it. I've studied even more traditional science, and I love it, but I see its restrictions. The sum of all of this is I choose to believe in the existance of something more.

At the end, all I'm trying to say is, it doesn't matter whether you believe in science, in what you see and feel, in the trascendent... it's your choice and it's okay, as long as it makes sense to you.

Of course, I know this isn't much of an answer but if there are any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.
    Height: 5ft 9"
    Current pants size: 20 (Canada sizing).
    Goal: I'll let you know when I've reached it.

“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind
    is a faithful servant. We have created a society that
    honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.”
    ~Albert Einstein~

petriquor is offline Senior Member
    I'm a very open-minded person. Wouldn't be on this site if I wasn't. But reiki is one of those things I find baffling anyone takes seriously.

At the end, all I'm trying to say is, it doesn't matter whether you believe in science, in what you see and feel, in the trascendent... it's your choice and it's okay, as long as it makes sense to you.
    I'm reminded of the quote: "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    For all the science that goes into paleo/primal lifestyles, I am constantly amazed at the non-science that many practitioners believe in. Acupuncture, homeopathy, reiki, etc. are all pretty well shown to have a placebo effect at best.

I used to chat with a reiki practitioner who also ran an organic food store, and she told me that I was an angel - literally an angel.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast