Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teenage daughter with low blood pressure page

stephlowen is offline Member

Teenage daughter with low blood pressure

Primal Fuel
    I have just started eating Primally. I am not even close to 100% yet as I haven't been very stocked up on the correct kinds of food.

I would like to also wean my daughter over to Primal eating. The problem is that she has low blood pressure. Her blood pressure also drops unexpectedly that causes her to get light headed and sometimes even pass out. After halter tests and everything, we have no idea what is causing her blood pressure to drop. The cardiologist said that she needs to increase her salt intake. I use salt in cooking but not very big amounts so she suggested that she take salt pills.

I have a couple of questions...

What are your opinions about these salt pills? The ingredients are Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Microcrystalline cellulose, dextrose, calcium carbonate, sodium starch glycolate, stearic acid

When it comes to diet, what is the best way to try to control this? I am not getting very far with her cardiologist except for just increase salt. Unfortunately my daughter does not actually like the taste of salt so unless it is just used in seasoning the food, she really will not eat it.

What affect will increasing activity have on her blood pressure? She will be starting cheerleading this week and I just wanted to be prepared food wise with how to feed the activity. Her blood pressure issues have never had anything to do with increase or decrease in activity so the cardiologist is okay with her doing this.

I know the doctors are the best to answer questions but I feel that her current doctor is just looking for an immediate fix instead of really researching complete way to handle her issues. Changing her doctor isn't something I am able to do for at least a month or so because I have medical issues of my own that I am dealing with (time and money contrainsts mean that we deal with one issue at a time)

Anyhow, sorry for the novel but hopefully some of you have some information that will help.

Thanks!!!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I think orthostatic hypotension is pretty common in teenagers because of their growth patterns (although perhaps not to the pointing of passing out regularly). Does she have any other health issues?

I think the key will be to sneak real sea salt into many places in small amounts and to make sure she stays well hydrated.

1. Homemade chicken stock tastes great with quite a bit of salt in it. Get her to have a cup of stock with one meal a day.

2. A tiny bit of sea salt in water doesn't taste salty at all - almost more sweet. See if she will put a shake or two in her water. Make sure she is getting plenty of fluids.

3. You could by empty gelatin caps and put a mixture of sea salt and potassium chloride in them. Potassium chloride can lower blood pressure though - so you could just use sea salt.

4. Lots of fruits taste fine with a little salt on them - tomato, watermelon, cantelope for example.

Finally, if it persists for some time, I'd bet back to the doctor just to be sure. If she is worried about it, she could try to get in the habit of flexing her stomach and thigh muscles right before getting up.

Ugh just typed out a huge reply and it disappeared...

Chicken stock is a great idea. I have some carcasses in the freezer now and since the weather is getting warmer, that sounds like a great idea.
    I will definitely have to try the salt in water thing. The doctor suggested Gatorade but that is definitely not going to be happening so hopefully this is something that she can do at least a few times a day.
    I really doubt that the salt on fruit will work with her because she doesn't really eat much of it anyhow. She is a lot more of a vegetable eater. I have been increasing the salt on those but not sure how much more she will be willing to eat.

She has no other medical issues at all and actually she doesn't even have the lightheadness or passing out when she gets up fast or anything like that... the doctors are completely confused. She had a 48 hour monitor on and the only time that she had an "episode" was while she was sleeping.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Oh gosh - I am sorry - I somehow just assumed that it was orthostatic....I don't know where I got that. I guess since they wanted her to have more salt I just assumed. Did she have low sodium level on some labs? How low is her blood pressure?

So what kind of episodes are they picking up on the holter moniter? An arrhythmia of some type?

Yea it totally seems as it should be orthostatic but we just can't figure it out. She doesn't have any heart irregularities but she just has these freak arrythmias and low blood volume. It is the arrythmias that they are picking up on the monitor. For some reason right now, I am completely blanking as to her regular blood pressure. They didn't actually do anything to test her sodium level. I am going to have to find another cardiologist that is willing to do further testing in order to really determine what it is but in the meantime I am hoping that we can control it as much as possible.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Dietary wise is your daughter a vegetarian? Hasn't been anorexic?
    They definitely should do more tests - atleast test her sodium level.
    Last edited by Sue; 10-16-2011 at 03:20 AM.

dado Guest
    she needs to squat

Valkyria is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    she needs to squat
    I doubt that is going to solve her problems. At least it never did for me!

I was, and to some extent still am, exactly like your daughter. Low blood pressure, felt dizzy a lot and have passed out a few times. I got used to it though and never bothered looking into it. I don't have much faith in doctors, and it never seemed like something was seriously wrong.

What I did that has helped an awful lot was to go primal. Now I mostly eat 3 big meals a day compared to 6-9 smaller meals/snacks before. I don't feel constantly hungry, and my energy levels are a lot more stable. I don't worry about the amount of salt I use, and use quite a lot of it.
    I might still get a little bit dizzy at times, but not many times a day like before, and not so severe. My blood pressure is still low, but I guess that's just the way I am. I would imagine it's better to have a low blood pressure anyway.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    I had the same problem too and going primal made it go away completely.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Dietary wise is your daughter a vegetarian? Hasn't been anorexic?
    They definitely should do more tests - atleast test her sodium level.
    She is definitely not a vegetarian or anorexic. I think she would be a carnivore first, ha ha.

I think I will go back to her regular pediatrician and see if she will at least do the sodium test.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast