Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OM3-6 Question page

Bam_Bam's_Mom is offline Junior Member

OM3-6 Question

OK, I'm on a tight budget and don't have the money to buy everything grass-fed, organic, etc. So I was reading on the blogs that I should up my intake of Omega to help offset the "bad stuff" in the non-grassfed/organic meats...
    So, here is my question: what should I be taking/doing? Before you answer, I CAN NOT take fish oil - it "repeats" on me something awful and I end up burping it up all day (sorry, too much info...but necessary to disclose) and I am not generally a big fish lover anyways. I have tried all different brands of fish oil, and methods of taking it - before eating, after, putting them in the freezer, etc. Nothing has worked. They are just not an option. So, what about flax seed? I am grinding my own for recipes now anyways...but I read some mixed info here on the blogs about the effectiveness of flax.

Can someone clarify and help me out? What can I take to help offset my consumption of the "unnatural" meats until I can afford to support the local farmers. Much appreciated!!

Tiffany

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps you don't need to take omega 3 if you are not eating any oils, nuts etc containing omega 6. Try eat some fish per week if you can. The flaxseed may be okay but it also contains omega 6.
    Last edited by Sue; 10-15-2011 at 09:39 PM.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Flax contains a form of O3 that isn't used by the body and has a poor conversion rate to the types that are used.

Guessing the response to this, but brains are rich in DHA (good form of O3) and are cheap. Canned fish is cheap.

Your choice - learn to like nutritious food or accept sub-optimal nutrition
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Screw fish oil. Eat salmon every other day and avoid O6 like the plaque.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried krill oil? The capsules are much smaller? Schiff Omega Red is available at Walgreens.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Screw fish oil. Eat salmon every other day and avoid O6 like the plaque.
    Thanks, but I hate salmon. As I mentioned, I don't really like fish very much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Perhaps you don't need to take omega 3 if you are not eating any oils, nuts etc containing omega 6. Try eat some fish per week if you can. The flaxseed may be okay but it also contains omega 6.
    I use olive oil regularly and do eat nuts - sunflower, pumpkin, almonds. I will look up if they have O6....can't recall. Thanks.

Faumdano is offline Member
    Man up and eat some sea food, or ditch the nuts and seeds (except as a very occasional treat) -- pick one. Olive oil is alright, but even it has a fair bit of O6; use animal fats or tropical oils for cooking instead. Use olive oil only when you want to enjoy the flavor it imparts. Flax is pretty worthless as others have said. Your only other options are organ meats -- brains especially, again, as has been said.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Nuts and olive oil are pretty much proven to be heart healthy. Please don't stop eating them because you are scared of omega 6's.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Faumdano View Post
    Man up and eat some sea food, or ditch the nuts and seeds (except as a very occasional treat) -- pick one. Olive oil is alright, but even it has a fair bit of O6; use animal fats or tropical oils for cooking instead. Use olive oil only when you want to enjoy the flavor it imparts. Flax is pretty worthless as others have said. Your only other options are organ meats -- brains especially, again, as has been said.

While humorous as your "man up" comment is, I'm afraid that I'm not going to eat something that tastes awful and rancid to me (pretty much all seafood). But thanks. And brains, yah...not quite that adventurous...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast