Thread: Biotin hot yoga page

Kathi is offline Junior Member

Biotin hot yoga

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am new to the forum scene but I would like to know what the conventional wisdom is on hot yoga. I enjoy it and because it is done in a very warm room, I feel it is better for your muscles and has little or no strain and it is very good for your thyroid.

Thoughts??

Kathi is offline Junior Member
    The title was meant to say Bikram hot yoga, not biotin

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    heat isn't really that relevant, but if you like it, keep doing it.

it's not going to hurt you (it can hurt some people), and it's fine if you like it, so keep doing it.

soon2beslinky is offline Junior Member
    Bikram yoga is awesome, I am totally addicted to it. The heat helps you to stretch your muscles better than working in a non heated environment. I want to try a 30 day challenge....

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    "better" for stretching is relative.

there is a risk in using heat to get a "better" stretch -- that you go beyond your natural capacities and end up pulling or tearing (and not good, muscle-building micro-tears) muscles, tendons and/or ligaments.

it also has risks of dehydration issues, and for people with special medications and health conditions (even non-medicated health conditions), the heat is a risk for heart attack, stroke, severe edema, etc etc etc.

so, you know, if the heat works for you, and you work safely with it, then use it. but it's a good idea to not just throw out broad claims about something being 'better" for everyone, when it's really not necessarily true.

that being said, heat also has MANY excellent uses in yoga (and exercise and stuff), so i don't discourage it. but i wouldn't use the description "better."

i practiced various forms of hot yoga for several years, but I currently practice and teach in a 'room temperature' room because it is safer for the broad types of clients that i attract (with many special needs), and it helps those go-getters avoid injruy becuase we do a lot to slowly open the muscles/tendons/ ligaments (and strengthen them), without the risks of heat.

but that's just understanding my audience, and i have no qualms with bikram. i think his sequence (and use of heat) is great, and i think that he knows it's limitations better than many of his teachers, studio owners, or practitioners. but that's a whole other deal.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    i think his sequence (and use of heat) is great, and i think that he knows it's limitations better than many of his teachers, studio owners, or practitioners. but that's a whole other deal.
    Ain't this the truth! I had a medical crisis in a Bikram studio that went completely unnoticed. When I say "crisis" I mean that any teacher with any kind of sense should have called 911 rather than reminding me of the uber-importance of STAYING IN THE ROOM. The room was so humid, you couldn't even see yourself in the mirror. Now I practice Sumits Hot Yoga. I find the teachers are much better trained. Probably because it is still relatively new and fairly localized.

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    I enjoy the forward fold stretch, but that's about it. I haven't done yoga in a while because I still associate it with crazy vegan health nuts.

I will definitely retrain my mind not to think of every yoga person as crazy, because I used to love it myself.

Just another bias I have to eliminate from my thinking.
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"