Tats last stand against the gods of old age
I suppose i`d better chuck in a bit of background info.
I`m 40yrs old & on a comeback to bjj.
In the past i`ve competed in lightweight strongman, boxing & bjj.
At the moment i`m weighing in around 85k down from an average weight of 110k.
1 of the areas that i`ve always lacked in is diet.I dont like the taste of many of the
foods that you need for your average diet.
Hopefuly the people on this board will help me gain a better understanding
of what i need to be eating to get me in the shape i want to get in to ?
In a nutshell....
EAT THIS *-*YOU CAN AND SHOULD EAT IT
(In fact, it should be the backbone of your diet. )
- Meat (preferably grass-fed)
- Poultry (preferably free-range)
- Fish (preferably wild-caught)
- Eggs (preferably cage-free)
- Non-starchy and/or green vegetables (preferably organic)
- Butter (preferably from grass-fed cows)
- Coconut oil
- Coconut milk
- Olive oil (but not for cooking)
- A berry (up to a handful)
NOT THAT -*YOU SHOULD NOT EAT IT.
(Throw it away, unless it's a cleaning or stationery product, in which case use it for its appropriate purpose).
- A legume (bean, pea, peanut)
- A grain (wheat, corn, rice) or made of a grain (cereal, oatmeal, bread, cake, tortilla, pasta)
- A processed food product
- A "low-fat" manufactured food product
- A "low-carb" manufactured food product
- A "diet" manufactured food product
- Anything with an ingredient that ends in "ose" (sucrose, glucose, fructose) or that contains sugar, agave nectar, honey, or maple syrup
- Anything from the center aisles of the grocery store...
EAT IN MODERATION
- Dairy products (milk, yogurt, cream, sour cream, half & half) – whole milk (not low-fat)
- Nuts (peanuts are not nuts)
- A seed
- A fruit other than a berry
- A starchy or sugary vegetable (carrot, beet, winter squash)
- A tuber (potato, sweet potato, yam)
- A nightshade (tomato, bell pepper)
- You are trying to lose weight (for dairy, nuts, fruits, starchy vegetables, and tubers)
- You are lactose intolerant (for dairy)
- You are significantly inactive/sedentary
- You are insulin resistant (for dairy, nuts, fruits, starchy vegetables, tubers, and coffee)
- You want to go 100% evolutionary diet and avoid anything we aren't sure paleo man ate
*Credit goes to Griff who came up with the original version which I tweaked a bit before giving it to my mother.
Thanks for your reply .
Makes a load of sense.
A few sets of bench working up to 100k for a single
5 rashers of bacon
2 free range eggs
pig in blanket
1 roast spud
step ups with 14k dumbells
farmers walks with 25k dumbells
1 arm row with 20k plate
2k dumbell punches
incline sit up with 6k med ball
ground & pound
all 1 min x 3 circuits
around the world
1 arm row
all 1 min x 3 sets
5x 1 min round
5 x holding pad no rest
db cross overs x 4 different weights
db upper cuts
db straight punches
incline sit ups
3 circuits for 1 min straight through
Its a hard session
2 scoops protien powder
100 grams mixed berries
150ml double cream.
Woke up this morning feeling tired already
Decided i couldn`t be bothered to eat so just drank 2ltrs of mineral water through the morning.
I work as a roof tiler & today we had to load the roof with the tiles.
We have breaks at 10 & 1 .
10 i put my feet up for 15 mins.
1 i had
microwave bag of veg
bit of balsamic vinegar.
t time i had
5 rashers of bacon
2 free range eggs
150 grams of chicken
4 brussel sprouts
1 very small piece of brocoli
cooked it in some coconut creme which wasn`t such a great idea.
No exercise tonight as its food shopping day & a rest day
My BJJ instructor & myself (i`m the taller 1 )
This pic was taken after a pretty hard no gi session
150ml double cream
2 scoops pro
1 sml piece of brocoli
Cooked the above with some added coconut creme & lets just say i dont think my
body is ready for it yet lol.
I`ll just drink some water tonight then start back as normal tomorrow morn
Suprisingly i made it through bjj last night & didn`t feel too bad.
1 Suasage left over from last night
Nothing but some water
3 Sausages with a bit of tom sauce
bag of crisps
can of chery tango
2 fried eggs
4 turkey rashers (both fried in butter)
I need to eat cleaner & be more consistant with my diet
Did have a hard day at work tho
BJJ training tonight so that`ll burn a bit more fat off hopefuly ?
Last edited by TAT 70; 10-19-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Been trying to read as many journals as poss & am coming to the
conclusion that there is no real `right` way to eat.
As off next wk i`ll be trying to eat meat & veg for all meals except
breki which i`ll be sticking to my breki shake.
Dont know if what i`m doing now is helping or hindering me ?
I`ll get it right in the end i hope ?
I`ve added flaxseed capsules 1000mg & omega 3 1000mg caps to my
diet as well .I take them with my shake at breakfast.
Weighed myself today & i`m 84.2k which is roughly where i normally am.
1hr No GI Grappling .
We drilled knee bars tonight then sparred them for 20 mins.
Went straight to the gym after no gi for a swift pressing sesh.
20K X 5
30K X 5
40K X 5
50K X 3
60K X 3
70K X 2
80K X F
80K X 1 (just)
BW 6 REPS X 5 SETS
Pressing is still real poor but i want to get 100k overhead & soon
ZMA pre bed to help my sleep.