Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lunches on hikes page

adamm is offline Senior Member

lunches on hikes

Primal Fuel
    So any of y'all have some good ideas on what to prep for lunches when hiking? I mean, the assumption is something that has dead animal, veg, fat (burning mucho calories), but doesn't take up a lot of room or need refrigeration. Also, low sugar is good, as I'm a diabetic. Ideas?

--Me

mmsantos is offline Senior Member
    Pure dead animal fat for the energy? Cook some organic lard or pastured beef fat and take it with you . I dunno about you but I think it's delicious, especially crackled pork fat. When I hike/mountain climb I don't get hungry but eat lunch anyway because other people take lunch, so I end up just taking a bit of fruit and a carrot or two, maybe a dip to go with it. I've never tried it, but maybe you could hard-boil eggs and take them? A few nuts as well? There are many possibilities! But my personal advice would be to save the stomach for an EPIC primal meal when you get home

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i don't really eat when hiking anymore (unless it's going to be longer than 8-10 hours), but i still pack my bag with some nuts and beef jerky just in case...they're both great, protein and calorie dense foods that can give you a ton of energy when you need it. i also think hard boiled eggs are a terrific idea...yummy, healthy, great travel food.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i don't really eat when hiking anymore (unless it's going to be longer than 8-10 hours), but i still pack my bag with some nuts and beef jerky just in case...they're both great, protein and calorie dense foods that can give you a ton of energy when you need it. i also think hard boiled eggs are a terrific idea...yummy, healthy, great travel food.
    +1. I've the nuts in there just in case I bottom out but it rarely happens. I don't like hiking while I'm digesting. Like mmsantos, I'd rather just have EPIC foods when I'm done. Everything tastes great after a long hike!

Ok, I appreciate people jumping in. But my question isn't "Do you guys eat lunch when hiking?" I mean, I'm glad to get feedback, but... :-D

So I'm going to rephrase the request to this: "For those of you who like to have a lunch when hiking, or those of you who can make a suggestion on what to eat for lunch when hiking regardless of your own lunchtime fasting, please provide me with some suggestions on primal lunches in the field".

--Me

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I tend to carry nuts and jerky when out away from my regular food sources. Some harder cheeses will keep pretty well for a day, if you keep them out of the hottest part of your pack. Apples and oranges transport well. Ripe pears and pit fruits tend to get smushed, as do bananas. Pork rinds transport well.

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    I carry a bag of almonds or pumpkin seeds. I used to haveto munch every 3 hoursonsomething. Now I try to go without eating during a hike. I just carry the nuts or seed for emergency and plenty of water. I know, not what you asked but I prefer an epic large breakfast/hike all day/major dinner approach. In fact that's what I did today just finishing a pound and a half of grass fed ground beef on top of a salad. with salsa tomatoes, cranberries blackolives Yum! I guesseif I had to eat on the trail it would be some nuts and an apple and perhaps a bit of hard cheese. If you want a picnic call it a picnic and the intent changes.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    I take jerky, dried apricots and other dried fruits, string cheese and nuts. I have found this to be more than satisfactory in replenishing my energy needs. I did take hard boiled eggs on my last hike. Got the coolest carrier for them! Dark chocolate occasionally takes the trip as well.

I did find lots of great ideas on the Primal Trail Food article. Be sure to read the comments as well!

Low Carb Trail Food | Mark's Daily Apple

Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    I take jerky, dried apricots and other dried fruits, string cheese and nuts. I have found this to be more than satisfactory in replenishing my energy needs. I did take hard boiled eggs on my last hike. Got the coolest carrier for them! Dark chocolate occasionally takes the trip as well.

I did find lots of great ideas on the Primal Trail Food article. Be sure to read the comments as well!

Low Carb Trail Food | Mark's Daily Apple
    Thanks Honeybuns. The link was great, and I guess answered what I was afraid of. Meat preserves (jerkey, pemmican, pepperoni types), and veggies. Maybe a fruit bar or two if I'm burning through sugar too quickly and getting sugar low alot.

--Me

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Most of those were about 5 day backpacking trips where weight and spoilage are a consideration. If you'll be day hiking you can carry a lot more and a greater variety of things. You are only limited by your imagination. I plan on taking leftover marinated flank steak when I go hiking with my sister in a couple of weeks. I'll pull it out of the freezer when I load my pack and it will have thawed nicely by the time we stop for a break.
    What I pay the most attention to, for me, is the ability to refuel (replenish depleted energy reserves). Jerky, cheese and nuts provide protein, dried fruits provide simple sugars and carbohydrates. A lady I hike with climbs tall mountains to the peak at least once a week and definitely needs those carbs!

What sorts of things do you like to eat?
    Last edited by honeybuns; 10-15-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast