Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get an overweight and sedentary 48-year old woman into shape? page

mmsantos is offline Senior Member

How to get an overweight and sedentary 48-year old woman into shape?

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone. No, the mentioned person isn't me hehe it's my mom. She seems quite keen to get her body into shape after several failed attempts with the usual CW crap (her Slimfast attempts even resemble Kelly Korg's in The Primal Blueprint!) and I said I'd help her.

I want to ask what you guys would recommend would be best to start getting her into shape, because obviously a full-blown exercise routine with free weights,Olympic lifts and sprints is out of the question. My idea is to focus it around machines (lats, chest/shoulder press), squats with exercise balls against a wall, stationary bike sprints, etc, but I'm not sure what's best!

Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Grok on.

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Uhm. Start with diet. Tell her to cut out all grains (including corn), and reduce carbs (such as potatoes and fruit) while she's trying to lose weight. Tell her to try that for one month.

For exercise, I would recommend long walks at first. That's it. No lifting, no squats. Just that diet for a month + walks. In one month, if she likes the results (and there will be results) you can start slowly adding to it. If you want this to last, don't rush her, and don't make it so hard she wants it to fail.

--Me

lol yeah of course diet, forgot to mention that but that's already sorted. I do most of the shopping and cooking for the house so when we eat together it's always tasty (my culinary skills are slowly improving!) and healthy. She said she'd only start if she could still have her weekly pizza haha. Walks sound like a good idea. She also likes swimming and goes very occasionally, so with that and walking for a few weeks to start could be a plan. I'll try it, thanks!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I would recommend a solid yoga class that is set up for beginners. A style like power yoga, astanga, or other vinyasa yoga is usually very good. Anusara is also nice.

usually, they are 6-8 week courses to get her grounded, and then going twice a week is a great way to build the foundation of strength and flexibility. After about 3 months or so, she may want to try out the Primal Blueprint Fitness, and perhaps start sprinting as well.

The yoga will "rehab" any problems that she has (weaknesses into strength!), and give her strength and flexibility, as well as a sense of accomplishment. And it will make moving into PBF easier.

also, the class can keep her accountable -- she's with a group/community, and will feel the desire to attend.

JHen is offline Member
    Get her walking. Move stuff some heavy stuff around the house. If she has been really inactive for a long time ease into it.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    I haven't made it myself but there are several primal pizza recipes around the web. Or even meatza. I would strongly recommend that you try some of those for her instead of letting her off the wagon once a week. I've seen so many people here complain about "primal not working" for them only to find out in the end that they don't give up their weekly pizza or beer and nachos or ice cream night.

Let her at least try the real thing for a month!
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Look up at the top of the page where it says, "Start Here". Click on that, then find the link to download the Primal Blueprint Fitness E-book. It's going to tell you three basic rules for working out. Do them in this order, but don't worry about the second or third for at least a month:
    1. Walk a minimum of 3 hours a week.
    2. Lift heavy things a couple times a week.
    3. Sprint a couple of times a week.

Thanks guys, appreciate the help! I'm also looking forward to see what Mark's upcoming book has to say on the matter (it arrived a couple of days ago, but I don't get home until Tuesday, can't wait!), I'm sure it will have a sound programme to follow.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    primal diet

bodyrock.tv
    yoga

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Definitely agree with switching pizza for meatza! Or at the very least, pizza made from almond-flour crust. But meatza ROCKS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast