Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to get an overweight and sedentary 48-year old woman into shape? page 2

mmsantos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Great idea, I've never had meatza myself so I'll definitely give it a go!

Biggie is offline Junior Member
    I found myself initially in the same position as your mom. Well, not as a 48 year old woman, but as a 500 lb 30-year old man... both sedentary. Quite often, when we start to truly lose weight in a long time, we have issues with hips, ankles, knees, etc. Another concern (sorry for being "gross") is heavy people often have their inner thighs rub together, causing both pain and a potentially serious rash. If your mom feels like she will have issues with joint pain or rubbing, you can skip the walking.

In exchange for walking, try a stationary bike or a pool. At the speed your mom should be walking, she will be burning around 1,000 calories an hour. An hour on the stationary bike should produce about 1,500 caloric burn. An hour swimming slow, steady laps in a pool will find her burning 1,500 as well. If she can amp it up slightly, until she is slightly out of breath while swimming, she will be around 2,000 calories an hour. Swimming is great because it works many different muscle groups. While many would argue it's not a "core workout," I would argue that swimming is as good or better than walking.

Alternately, if you are looking for more indoor activities, do some research on "Turkish Get Up," a low impact core-heavy workout. Ignore the Kettlebells for your mom, she should be working at more flexibility and core strength than anything else. If she is over-weight and sedentary, she might have problems with "Threading the Needle," the part where your raise your hips to the sky and move the non-weight bearing leg. If that happens, have her focus on that part until she masters it.

Hope this helps,

-Biggie

mmsantos is offline Senior Member
    Great advice, Biggie. She likes swimming so will probably focus on that. I've never heard of Turkish Get Up but it sounds interesting, I will research it.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Her desire to do physical activity is going to be directly proportional to her energy level, which is typically low among overweight people. So yeah get the diet straight, and as the hormonal cascade begins to free up energy she'll be much more willing to continue doing any sort of exercises if she doesn't grow to actually like it.

At that point it's really finding whatever protocol fits her personality the best. It might be bodyweight exercises, might be sandbag, shovelglove, barbell training, yoga, gymnastics, running with the dog, swimming, rollerblading, dancing.... Find something she likes and enjoys and for most people that's the closest thing you'll find to a guarantee that she'll continue it.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I like pizza omlette, the long way is to cook the veg and meat separate, cook the omlette 'base' in good sized frying pan, once it's set put your pizza sauce on, I just use tomato purre in a tube, then load up your toppings (I like breakfast pizza omlette, mushrooms, bacon, sausage meat balls) then cover with good cheese, don't forget the oregeno, and stick under the broiler (least I think you call a grill a broiler in the USA) taste just as good, if not better than the 'real' thing.

the quicker way is to chuck the veg/meat in a pan, when cooked chuck the beaten egg on top, then when set tomato paste, cheese, herbs.

I also suggest walking as a start to a fitness programm, preferably outside in nature, as this is a double boost to wellbeing.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Wow that's sort of an idiotic question no offense. 48 is not really that much different from 30. The PB worked for me. And I would highly recommend barbells if she is willing. Squats, deadlift, bench the whole deal. Makes you feel great, like a whole 'nother level of the "hormonal cascade" wakes up. Truly a fountain of youth.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    What everyone else has said but I would like to add do not get her on the machines.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

ms sage is offline Member
    I run into this situation quite often in my personal training business. Many middle aged women perceive exercise as uncomfortable and a chore. So you need to move them to a place where it is enjoyable. Walking 20 minutes to start with a few slow stretches at the end is a great place to start. Don't worry about speed or distance to start. Just get her in the habit of moving a few days per week. As she becomes more comfortable with movement (2-4) weeks add in a couple body weight exercises (squats, wall pushups) and progress from there.

Get her to focus on how she feels after the bout of exercise. Most people feel better after they have exercised. Focus on the positive feelings. You mentioned she likes swimming. Aqua fitness classes are really a great way to get in some exercise and socialize. Might want to think about that as well.

Kudos to Mom for taking on this change. Kudos to you for helping!

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    I am a 48 year old woman and started primal 5 months ago. I do some exercise but often not feel like it for several weeks. But I do gardening, some walking and started horseback riding once per week. Through eating primal I did loose just over 16 kilo in these 5 months though and am almost at my goal weight and feel loads better .
    And remember, doing household chores or walking past/through shops or on a farmers market is also exercise. You can do thing when walking.

So get her dieet good, and find a means of moving that she enjoys, maybe something you can do together.

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Baby steps. Start walking until you feel good. Start lifting things. Not too heavy at first, but work to that. Sounds like you are already enjoying the eating part

It's not rocket science, it just can be tough to stick to when you are the only one you know doing it.
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12