Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinworms! Warning, TMI! page

Somebody is offline Junior Member

Pinworms! Warning, TMI!

Shop Now
    I'm, unfortunately, fairly certain I've been infected with pinworms. I live in a house with lots of people, especially small, filthy children. As I understand it, pinworms are fairly benign, albeit annoying, (and gross). I'm only 15 and we don't have health insurance, so a doctor would be expensive. I'd rather not make my mom go out of her way and spend all that money because I *might* have pinworms. Plus she'd probably yell at me and lecture me about handwashing and keeping my room cleaner for the next 5 months, and no one needs that, lol. I'd feel like a complete ass hat if she took me and I was perfectly fine.

So, the point is, is there any good, cheap, over the counter crap I can take that will work? I'm not horribly concerned, as i have a strong stomach, but seriously, they gotta go.

I haven't, achem, seen evidence of them, but when it comes nighttime I can feel the little shitheads crawling around, laying their little douche bag eggs around, which is, first of all, digusting. Secondly, it makes it kind of hard to sleep.

Help anyone? I've heard wormwood can do the job, does it really work? I'll have to pay for it myself, so it has to be effective and cheap. Thanks, and sorry for grossing anyone out.

EDIT: No way am i telling my mother. I'd rather live with them for the next 3 years than face the inevitable verbal beat-down from my mother, lol. She thinks you can only get worms if you are really filthy and poor, and she'd flip the hell out if I told her.

Thank god. thanks for the help guys, looks like I'm saving up ten bucks.
    Last edited by Somebody; 10-15-2011 at 11:35 AM.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    No advice or knowledge about this topic, but I think you really should tell your parents! If they are contagious at all, then some of the 'small, filthy children' may have them as well. There may be ways to figure it out with the help of your parents without needing to spend tons and tons of money. If you were my child, I'd really want to know.

Good luck! And here is a link to one of my favorite health-focused resources: The Pinworm Thread May be some useful info there.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Pinworm treatment info - sounds like all of you are probably infected.

How to Get Rid of Pinworms

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    You can get Reese's pinworm medicine over the counter at the drugstore, no prescription required for less than $10. One dose kills the little buggers. Ask the pharmacy staff to point it out to you.
    Reeses Pinworm Medicine Full Prescription Strength Liquid - 1 oz

Be sure to wash sheets thoroughly in very hot water.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Is there a school nurse you could access?
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

My family has had them a time or two. You have to treat every member of the household, or they will just keep being passed around.

CVS sells a "family size" pinworm medication that will treat two children and two adults. Its tastes like chalky banana liquor. Its around $23-$24.

Wash all the bedding, dry on high heat, vaccum the floors, use clorox wipes on any surface that hands touch - toilet handle, door knobs, tv remote, keyboard, etc.

Very important to remind kids to NOT scratch their bum, and wash hands thoroughly after using the bathroom. Have some Cotonelle wipes in the bathroom so that bottoms can be cleaned well.

It sucks, I'm sorry. But they are easier to get rid of than lice! And they are harmless, just annoying.

jandge is offline Senior Member
    Someone on the forum mentioned diatomaceous earth for the clearing of internal parasites. Do a forum search and some information should pop up.

Lightlystarched's idea seems awesome though. I'd totally do that if I ever had to do deal with pinworms. Sorry you're going through it!

Do yourself a favor and become your own savior.
    Congenital Hypothyroid
    CW: 225lbs SW: 245lbs

wiltondeportes Guest
    Please tell your parents. I did some really stupid stuff that I hid from my parents because I thought I was being smart.

Kimelah is offline Senior Member
    Please stop telling OP to tell their parents. Not all parents are "nice" parents. Some look at parenting as a chore, and when their child presents with something requiring more of them then simple roof/clothing/food the parents blame the child. It's not a good situation. It's unfortunate that OP doesn't feel safe telling their parents because if it IS pin worms everyone should be treated, but the child will be blamed as the "messenger" of the bad news of needing to spend money.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimelah View Post
    Please stop telling OP to tell their parents. Not all parents are "nice" parents. Some look at parenting as a chore, and when their child presents with something requiring more of them then simple roof/clothing/food the parents blame the child. It's not a good situation. It's unfortunate that OP doesn't feel safe telling their parents because if it IS pin worms everyone should be treated, but the child will be blamed as the "messenger" of the bad news of needing to spend money.
    Don't lecture me on whether parents are nice or not. Unless they are abusive or insane, they will keep the kid's best interests in mind. I actually don't care if the child is blamed in this instance (assuming those previous qualifications) because I am more concerned for their health. Health takes priority. Furthermore, this stuff can spread apparently. You can't keep it a secret and let everyone else get infected.

I was 15 before too. I did some dumb things around the time I was 12 years old because I took advice from a stranger like this. This person is a little older, but the logic still applies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast