Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not a newbie to MDA, but I haven't made the progress I want........ page

152 Sumo is offline Junior Member

Not a newbie to MDA, but I haven't made the progress I want........

Shop Now
    because I am self-destructive.

Hello all. I figured it is time to ask for help. I have been struggling with weight and health issues related to weight for some time now.

A little background: I spent 7 years in the Marine Corps from 94-01. Obviously, being a Marine, I was in pretty good shape for most of those 7 years. It was part of my job. Competing with my peers and promotions were the major motivation for constantly staying in shape.

After discharging from active duty, I slowly gained weight. Ten years later, which seems like a blink of an eye, I got up to 250 lbs (at my best health in USMC, I was 5' 8", 185, so Im a little stocky). Earlier in the year, I started following a primal diet. I lost almost 30 lbs (about 225 now).

My weight comes with some added 'bonuses': high blood pressure, high triglycerides, kidney problems, gout, and most recently, diagnosed with hypothyroidism.

I know that the primal diet will work for me. I have had success with the lower intensity workouts, walking, etc. p90x was too extreme for me and it caused me to over eat and over train, leading to failure.

Anyway, here is my problem: I always seem to be self-destructive. I get motivated for a couple weeks and follow 80% primal and exercise regularly. The lbs fall right off. After two or three weeks, something always seems to happen to drag me back to the beginning. I get sick, hurt, gout attack. When I am not feeling well, I go for comfort foods in excess. I eat everything in sight that is bad for me. I gain weight right back and the pattern continues.

I need to find ways to motivate myself EVERY day and stop being so self-destructive. I know there isn't an easy button for this, but I guess I just want to share my problem to get some advice or just that little bit of motivation to push me back on track.

Thanks.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the tribe. For some people, the first little while is difficult to adjust to.

Some ideas to try:

Try to commit to a no excuses 30-day challenge. Tell yourself that you know how you feel following CW and you want to know if living Primally will make you feel any better (and it will!).

Start a journal. It may help to "keep you honest."

Stick around the forums, ask for help, participate in discussions. We're a pretty decent bunch and only a couple of us bite. Most of us are here to learn and to share in our new Primal experiences too.

Best of luck. We're here for you!
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Welcome to the tribe. For some people, the first little while is difficult to adjust to.

Some ideas to try:

Try to commit to a no excuses 30-day challenge. Tell yourself that you know how you feel following CW and you want to know if living Primally will make you feel any better (and it will!).

Start a journal. It may help to "keep you honest."

Stick around the forums, ask for help, participate in discussions. We're a pretty decent bunch and only a couple of us bite. Most of us are here to learn and to share in our new Primal experiences too.

Best of luck. We're here for you!
    Thanks. Funny thing is that I tried what you recommended. Last month, when I saw all the stuff on MDA about a 30 day challenge, I got a notebook and made my own 30 day challenge with rules that were easy to follow: exercise a little every day, even if it is only 20 pushups or a 15 minute walk, primal diet 80% at least, stop procrastinating, record what I eat every day. I made it about a week and a half. Here I sit, one month later, back where I started, wondering how I messed up something so easy.

notthepapa is offline Junior Member
    hey Sumo

we could be twins...I am on the same merry-go-round, just trying to make each go-round shorter 'til I can walk away completely.
    have you tried hypnosis, or even more effective- EFT? I am a big believer in the sub-conscious brain and it's abilities to form events. I listen to guided imagery at night and use EFT (emotional freedom technique) and I have to say both modalities have helped me tremendously in at least putting one foot in front of the other -literally..
    my biggest problem is the obsessive collecting of all info related to a topic, instead of just doing it. for example, recently i wanted to add step aerobics to my cardio routine. spent hours on amazon and blogs, spent hours on craigslist tracking down equipment and going to pick it up (I did get some screamin' deals tho'), etc. have everything now and still haven't started the step part, although I am still doing my regular stuff. EFT and the hypnosis has helped me to at least keep doing what I am doing, w/o dropping everything for something new and not doing either. That in itself is a big deal for me. I'm still holding on to the side of the pool but at least it's better than just dipping my toe like I had been for so long.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    You know, I think it's a good idea to forget about the whole "on track / off track" bandwagon thing and just take life for what it is - one damn choice after another. Make solid choices for the most part, and don't let a bad choice (cookies) become an excuse for a second bad choice (laying around all day). Don't get too high or too low. The best athletes are TOTALLY blind to their mistakes - quarterbacks will throw a boneheaded interception that nearly costs the game, then the next play they get out there and throw another tough pass - it's a new possession, gotta score. Getting sacked last time is no excuse for rushing your reads the next time. Gotta go, some good games on today....good luck.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Good Advice from tfarny...Also, have you read the book yet?

Thanks tfarny, I think that is what I have a hard time with. I will break the rules and eat something bad, and the next thing I know, I am eating everything in sight and going back to my bad habits. I let little slips break my momentum and then I get too worked up over it. I have to stop letting little slip ups bother me so much.

SoccerGrok: If you are referring to the primal blueprint, I have it and haven't finished it yet.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    You know, I think it's a good idea to forget about the whole "on track / off track" bandwagon thing and just take life for what it is - one damn choice after another. Make solid choices for the most part, and don't let a bad choice (cookies) become an excuse for a second bad choice (laying around all day). Don't get too high or too low. The best athletes are TOTALLY blind to their mistakes - quarterbacks will throw a boneheaded interception that nearly costs the game, then the next play they get out there and throw another tough pass - it's a new possession, gotta score. Getting sacked last time is no excuse for rushing your reads the next time. Gotta go, some good games on today....good luck.
    I like this- it's like flipping a coin: no matter how many times in a row it comes up heads, the odds of the next one coming up heads are the same as all the previous ones. They don't matter. Make your choice right now. And now.

and now...

and now.....

and now.....

and now.....

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 152 Sumo View Post
    Thanks tfarny, I think that is what I have a hard time with. I will break the rules and eat something bad, and the next thing I know, I am eating everything in sight and going back to my bad habits. I let little slips break my momentum and then I get too worked up over it. I have to stop letting little slip ups bother me so much.

SoccerGrok: If you are referring to the primal blueprint, I have it and haven't finished it yet.
    Yep, that's what happens when you think of it as a set of "rules" and the whole thing as a kind of "program" - maybe that whole mindset doesn't work for you (doesn't work for me). I just resolve to "always try to make good food choices," sometimes that doesn't happen, but my resolution stays the same from week to week. Like last night, I got good and drunk, which is not very primal, but today is a new day. Eat some eggs, take a walk, make some good choices.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    get new comfort foods
    primalize your favorites
    if this is the lifestyle you want then buckle down and DO IT

lastly, figure out why you're self sabotaging and own it. then either work on it or let it keep ruling you.

i'm not without sympathy, i have sabotage issues of my own. but i know what i'm doing and why i do it, then i stop
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast