Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not a newbie to MDA, but I haven't made the progress I want........ page 2

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Second the suggestion for EFT/Tapping..

What is downside for you to being fit & healthy? We always self-sabotage for a good reason!

Once you answer that question and can clear the fear with some tapping, it will be a lot easier.

It occurs to me that as a Marine, you were accustomed to thinking in terms of the enemy to be defeated. You also mentioned that competition with your peers for promotion was a motivator. In my view, when we make a bad choice it is not a failure of character -- it is a failure of motivation.

If poor health is not a big enough enemy to motivate you, maybe I can share mine. I am an ex-scientist, having spent over 20 years studying and researching infectious diseases. I was not a nutritionist, but I had studied a ton of biochemistry and physiology, so I thought I understood what the CW was telling us about low-fat, high fiber diets. I bought it. And, because I was not an exercise fanatic, I gained weight progressively. Now, having gotten acquainted with Mark's books, Gary Taubes' books and having watched the Big Fat Fiasco videos on YouTube (all definitely recommended), I am mad as hell.

I am mad at the scientific establishment and the Congressional committee led by McGovern (whom I liked, a lot) for setting the whole country on a grain-based diet. I am mad at how dissenting voices were muzzled. I am furious about being duped. I am thoroughly pissed off at myself for not exercising my own intelligence. I am angry that I continued on that lethal path for as long as I did. I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

You want enemies to fight, I'll give you enemies! Every time you eat your comfort food, you are yielding to big Ag, to the USDA and to the whole medical-nutritional establishment that brought you the deadliest food pyramid they could imagine -- all based on BAD science. Those enemies have put the health of most North Americans in danger. They have shortened the expected lifespan of the younger generation. They have added a crushing load of obesity-associated diseases to the health care system.

Your mission is to use your body as the battlefield, to prove that those enemies do not control you: you will not let them keep those dangerous pounds on your body; you will not let them reduce your quality of life; you will not let them shorten that life. Every time you get up in the morning, eat a high-protein, high-fat, high-veggie breakfast, you're striking back. Every time you take a walk during your lunch hour, you're plotting strategy. Every time you stick to the Primal Fitness approach, you're building tactical strength.

You win this battle and the people around you will take notice. They will ask you how you did it. And you will tell them about the enemies and how to vanquish them!
    Last edited by Northern Light; 10-16-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    What an awesome post! THANK YOU!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Gotta agree with the others - don't look at it like you're falling off the wagon and climbing back on again. You get a mindset like "Well, I've already fallen off, I might as well roll around in the dirt a bit before I climb back on again."

If I eat some kind of crap (and trust me; I know crap food well), then the next minute is time for making new choices. So even if I make a stupid choice and eat something like a donut for breakfast, then I still can make another better choice the next time I get hungry. I'm not stuck thinking "I already screwed up, so I'll start over tomorrow". Or even worse, starting over Monday. I just make a better choice the next time one comes up.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    @NorthernLight...That was totally AWESOME! Good for you, and GREAT post!

I am not an angry person, generally speaking. My working principle in life is to maximize happiness, and anger does not do that. But I am honestly as furious as I said about what the supposedly scientific community has perpetrated on North Americans. I cannot think of one scientific finding that has had such a profoundly negative impact on so many people. Except perhaps the invention of the internal combustion engine.

(We are of course now facing the dilemma of lots of good scientists screaming that climate change is real and radical action is needed now, and the powers-that-be putting in ear plugs and wearing blinders, but that is another issue.)

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    It occurs to me that as a Marine, you were accustomed to thinking in terms of the enemy to be defeated. You also mentioned that competition with your peers for promotion was a motivator. In my view, when we make a bad choice it is not a failure of character -- it is a failure of motivation.

If poor health is not a big enough enemy to motivate you, maybe I can share mine. I am an ex-scientist, having spent over 20 years studying and researching infectious diseases. I was not a nutritionist, but I had studied a ton of biochemistry and physiology, so I thought I understood what the CW was telling us about low-fat, high fiber diets. I bought it. And, because I was not an exercise fanatic, I gained weight progressively. Now, having gotten acquainted with Mark's books, Gary Taubes' books and having watched the Big Fat Fiasco videos on YouTube (all definitely recommended), I am mad as hell.

I am mad at the scientific establishment and the Congressional committee led by McGovern (whom I liked, a lot) for setting the whole country on a grain-based diet. I am mad at how dissenting voices were muzzled. I am furious about being duped. I am thoroughly pissed off at myself for not exercising my own intelligence. I am angry that I continued on that lethal path for as long as I did. I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

You want enemies to fight, I'll give you enemies! Every time you eat your comfort food, you are yielding to big Ag, to the USDA and to the whole medical-nutritional establishment that brought you the deadliest food pyramid they could imagine -- all based on BAD science. Those enemies have put the health of most North Americans in danger. They have shortened the expected lifespan of the younger generation. They have added a crushing load of obesity-associated diseases to the health care system.

You win this battle and the people around you will take notice. They will ask you how you did it. And you will tell them about the enemies and how to vanquish them!
    awesome, awesome awesome post

pbj
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

Thanks! Hope it helps a few other people stay motivated!

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    What a butt kicking inspirational thread. Thanks Tfarny, jfreaksho and Northern Light. I just watched my Mother die of Ovarian Cancer, complicated by heart disease and diabetes caused by lifelong obesity. Here I am, someone who has been Primal for a year and has lost over 65 pounds and yet, I still cheat with grains several times a month. I need to grow up, start making the right choices and see the bigger picture. 152 Sumo, I hope you got as much out of your own thread as I did.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Having reread 152 Sumo's comments, I thought I would post what I sent to another member privately:

I really am that angry and it really does motivate me! In addition to the CW on healthy eating, we are up against an entire culture of sweet and sugary rewards and starchy comfort foods.

When people talk about getting off track, they are giving in to the past 50 or 60 years of misinformation and all the crap that Dunkin' Donuts, McDonalds, Kraft and Company have been shoveling at us. Of course most of us were brainwashed! Of course we gave in to temptation when we were bombarded day in, day out with ads!

Over time, I have been progressively filtering what goes into my head so I can control what goes into my mouth! We canceled our satelite TV service two years ago and use the TV only to watch DVDs (this has since become a trend in our extended family). I read the local paper exclusively for the tiny amount of news in it -- closing my eyes to the ads. I avoid even driving by fast-food restaurants (easier said than done in most cities, but I have found my routes). I look only at the first few pages of the grocery circular (meat and veggies) and ignore the rest.

P.S. I consider all this to be simple self-defense. I am one puny person against a vast food industry that wants me to consume things that are not good for me, in quantities that would eventually kill me (but not before I cost everyone else in Canada a fortune in health care costs). I don't know what is going to kill me if obesity, diabetes and heart disease don't, but I am more than willing to find out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast