Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me to find my ratio's :) page

KittyKat is offline Junior Member

Please help me to find my ratio's :)

Primal Fuel
    Hey all,

Im getting more into the nitty gritty and would love it if someone could point me in the right direction to try and get my protein/carb/fat numbers?...

Carbs = under 50 as I want to lose fat.
    Protein = I have heard that protein is .7 to 1 gram per pound so that would be between 115 and 165 grams and as im 165 pounds
    Fat = ?? (at the moment am probably having at least 40 grams a day)

Many thanks.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    50g x4 is 200 carb calories
    120g x4 is 480 protein calories
    Say having 1500 cals per day we have 820 left for fat
    about 91g fat x9 is 819 calories

You weigh 165 lbs but how much is fat weight and how much is lean muscle?
    Some work out their protein needs based on their lean muscle mass so if 100 lbs of you is muscle you would have for example 1g x 100lbs equals 100g protein.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Mark's book has a chapter to tell you how to do this.

First, calculate your daily calorie budget based on your gender, size and activity level.

To lose weight, you are probably best off in the 50-100g carb/day range. Let's say 75g, which is 300 cal

Protein requirement is 0.7 to 1g of lean body mass (not total). This is hard to calculate. If you're not overly muscular, you can calculate this by taking the mediam BMI (22.5) amd multiplying by the square of your height in metres to get your lean body mass in kg. Then multiply by 2.2 to convert to pounds. A rough calculation but it works.

Take the carb and protein calories (4 x grams) from your daily budget to get target fat calories. Divide by 9 to convert to grams
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Sue
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Mark's book has a chapter to tell you how to do this.

First, calculate your daily calorie budget based on your gender, size and activity level.

To lose weight, you are probably best off in the 50-100g carb/day range. Let's say 75g, which is 300 cal

Protein requirement is 0.7 to 1g of lean body mass (not total). This is hard to calculate. If you're not overly muscular, you can calculate this by taking the mediam BMI (22.5) amd multiplying by the square of your height in metres to get your lean body mass in kg. Then multiply by 2.2 to convert to pounds. A rough calculation but it works.

Take the carb and protein calories (4 x grams) from your daily budget to get target fat calories. Divide by 9 to convert to grams
    Those daily calorie estimators are usually way off.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    50g x4 is 200 carb calories
    120g x4 is 480 protein calories
    Say having 1500 cals per day we have 820 left for fat
    about 91g fat x9 is 819 calories

You weigh 165 lbs but how much is fat weight and how much is lean muscle?
    Some work out their protein needs based on their lean muscle mass so if 100 lbs of you is muscle you would have for example 1g x 100lbs equals 100g protein.
    The body does not burn 'calories', so your logic doesn't work. Calories are tested in a lab by burning each individual macronutrient you mentioned and then seeing how much energy they give off. Guess what? Your body isn't a Bunsen burner. Your body burns each item uniquely...right down to the type of fatty acid or sachharide chain (carbohydrate/sugar).

You can't be too worried about losing weight and getting the best nutrition at the same time. It's like looking for a 18-wheeler truck and wanting to get good miles per gallon. You have to sell out on the one goal that you have. Hopefully that is to be healthy. I would predict that a healthy diet along with good sleep, exercise, and sun will put you exactly where you want. If you're overweight, the weight will come off.

Since the optimal primal diet is based on animal and vegetation for food, let's ignore the grams for a second.

Fat- Maybe 4 bones (each about 3 inch segment) with marrow per day
    Meat- I would say at least a pound. Preferably beef, lamb, bison.
    Carb- Atleast a couple potatoes. Sweet potatoes are best. Then go for a ton of color and don't even worry about eating lettuce...you might as well be eating water. Eat fruit to provide some quick energy during the day and to help stay hydrated.

I know you say you want to lose weight, but what you really want is to feel healthy inside and out. Form follows function. The best way to look healthy is to be healthy first. If you truly stick to meat, offal, fruits, and vegetables for food, you will never overeat.Listen to clues inside your brain to know when to eat and when not to eat. Your digestive system will change for the better, and you will begin to burn food efficiently. You will reduce your constant inflamation in your body, and it will begin to heal itself.

Here's what I eat when I really want a solid meal. I'm about 160 pounds.

2 pounds of red meat (kind of a guess because all my meat has bones which raise it to 3-4lb)
    4-8 bones w/ marrow
    2 sweet potatoes
    1-2 russet potatoes or other type
    2 tomatoes
    2 onions
    1 head of garlic
    at least two of: parsley, celery, leeks, dill, bok choy, etc.
    spices like tumeric, paprika, salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, etc etc

Cook for about 3-4 hours on low heat. Presto, you have all the nutrition for an entire day in one meal. I generally have a little left over for the next day.

Edit:

Ok one last tip. I reread your first post about wanting to be low carb so that you lose weight. What you mean by that is that you want to be in a higher ketogenic state. In simpler words, you want your body to always be burning fat. You have been told that once you eat a lot of carbs, your body shifts to burning carbs instead of fat.

They are correct, but you misapply the information. Do not worry about your carb intake. Worry that you get ENOUGH good stuff in you. Stuff like rasberries, sweet potatoes, strawberries, etc all provide a pack in micronutrients.

If you want to be ketogenic more often, simply eat less frequently. Make sure you still eat 'enough' to feel full and happy, but try doing it once a day. That's extreme advice for the average conventional person switching. If you can't do that, my advice is this: eat your carbohydrates at only one time during the day. Then, you still don't have to worry about amount. You can still eat 3 meals if you wish, but the other two will have fairly low-carb offerings.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 10-15-2011 at 04:25 AM.

Sue
    Geez I thought the body was a Bunsen burner thanks for setting me straight!!!!!!
    OP asked for ratios.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Geez I thought the body was a Bunsen burner thanks for setting me straight!!!!!!
    OP asked for ratios.
    I'm telling her that it's the wrong question to ask.

By the way, you might be asking yourself about other types of food in the diet. What about grains, legumes, nuts/seeds, dairy? That covers every other possible natural food source. Grains and legumes are basically out. You know that, or you wouldn't be here. Dairy, such as milk and cheese, has lactose. I don't eff with lactose as much as I can help it. Butter and clarified butter contain practically no lactose. If you get the grassfed kind, you will get quality fatty acids in there. Quality nuts/seeds will run you $5-15 per pound and are loaded with inflamatory Omega-6. Just like it wasn't worth it for old Paleo-man to harvest nuts or seeds very much, it's not worth it to pay for farmers to buy grafted trees, pick the nuts, open the nuts, and package them for you. I just don't bother buying them.

I didn't include dairy or nuts/seeds because they just don't make sense cost wise or nutrition wise to be worth mentioning. If you want to eat them for the taste, that's something different. I like having butter on baked potatoes. I'll eat cheese and nuts in salads if they come with them. I just don't bother building a diet around a lesser quality nutrition source that is more expensive. Taste is left for the fringe to eat whenever you wish.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 10-15-2011 at 04:38 AM.

Sue
    I understand you think just eating primal will ensure health and weight (fat) loss but it doesn't for most. it's good to know how many grams and calories you are consuming so that you can adjust if necessary. Of course you can't be sure exactly how many calories you are actually absorbing after digestion it's just a rough guide.

"In one of the biggest studies ever, scientists at Brown University analyzed more than 10,000 success stories and cracked the code.

The subjects not only lost significant amounts of weight but kept it off for years. Scientists say they did it by counting calories and fat grams, writing down and tallying everything they ate, not skipping breakfast, eating similar foods each day and stepping on the scale at least once a week."
    http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...lth&id=8392063

I haven't read the actual study yet. I don't think that's the only way to lose and then maintain - everyone need to find their way.
    Last edited by Sue; 10-15-2011 at 04:51 AM.

Fury is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    t's like looking for a 18-wheeler truck and wanting to get good miles per gallon
    Improvements in fuel economy are actually quite important for the trucking industry as it drives down fuel costs, which make up a large chunk of their expenses. I'd expect your average fleet purchaser of 18 wheel trucks cares far more about fuel economy differences than the vast majority of consumer car purchasers.

With that said, I like your recipe & your suggestions certainly have merit

wiltondeportes Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I understand you think just eating primal will ensure health and weight (fat) loss but it doesn't for most. it's good to know how many grams and calories you are consuming so that you can adjust if necessary. Of course you can't be sure exactly how many calories you are actually absorbing after digestion it's just a rough guide.

"In one of the biggest studies ever, scientists at Brown University analyzed more than 10,000 success stories and cracked the code.

The subjects not only lost significant amounts of weight but kept it off for years. Scientists say they did it by counting calories and fat grams, writing down and tallying everything they ate, not skipping breakfast, eating similar foods each day and stepping on the scale at least once a week."
    Study unlocks keys to weight loss | abc7chicago.com

I haven't read the actual study yet. I don't think that's the only way to lose and then maintain - everyone need to find their way.
    I'm sorry, but I am never going to give somebody advice to starve themselves. If they want to go a little hungry more often so that they lose weight, they can do that within the framework I provided. I want them to be healthy, and I know that there is no real such thing has high carb on a primal diet if you are eating correctly. The ratios become what they will when you start eating natural foods. There isn't a tremendous variance in food content if you were to seperate and analyze each food by it's type (ie stone fruit, potatoes/root vegetables, etc). I also tried to explain that her body should let her know what to eat, so having a set in stone plan will not work as well. Having a strict guideline of what primal is and then being free from there is the best option.

Secondly, you still don't seem to understand my point about calories. Calories are a fictitious thing. Just because they kind of line up sometimes, that doesn't make them valid. To the OP, ignore them and just think about getting enough of fat, protein, carb, vitamins, minerals, and just phytochemicals in general.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast