Thread: Time to introduce myself :-) page

Londongalgoneprimal is offline Junior Member

Time to introduce myself :-)

Primal Fuel
    Hello primal-land!

I've been reading around the forum for a couple weeks now, and thought it was finally time to properly introduce myself :-)

I'm 30, live in London UK and have been primal for nearly 3 weeks. I have struggled with my weight ALL my life, topping the scales at 240 when I was about 20-21. Since then and a big turning point in my life, I changed my life and lost about 70lbs, but more importantly gained so much more confidence and happiness. However, in the past few years, even though I've been the lowest weight, I've always had that 15-20lbs still hanging around that just won't budge!

I LOVE exercising and being active, so I've gone through loads of different activities-hiking, biking, rock climbing, boxing, gym stuff...lots! But I also LOVE my food... The biggest self-proclaimed foodie that ever was..so I'm always plotting & planning gorgeous feasts, cooking & hAving friends round for dinner etc. It's a huge part if my life! So I've come to accept those extra 15lbs be because I love food so much!

This past summer I finished up my masters degree (as an osteopath) and seriously hit the floor. Months...years...of stress, exhaustion, & more stress lead me to complete and utter burnout and I felt completely disgusting inside. I can suffer from terrible headaches and drink far too much coffee, always trying to up my energy levels but just getting into those terrible cycles. But this was a new level of feeling crap--adrenal exhaustion! So I knew I had to do something to get myself feeling better. All the sleep in the world wasn't helping & even with all my knowledge of health & nutrition (academic & personal interests if mine!), I just couldn't turn my body around. No energy to exercise, no motivation to do anything.

So... (and this is getting long winded now..sorry!!)...enter the primal blueprint! Ive known for years that I'm carb-sensitive...that if I eat too much bread or pasta that I gain more weight. I'd always eat the whole grains, lots of beans and lentils and cut back on the fats. So over the summer after hearing about the primal blueprint, I played around with being primal & low carb as i needed to sort my energy levels out, but never fully committing--maybe be because of social engagements, maybe because of fear of being 'different', maybe because my partner has never been on board (the original 'meat n 2 veg with White bread to bulk it out girl'!!)

But I've now been primal for nearly 3 weeks and my girlfriend has been doing it with me! I LOVE IT and have already lost about 3-4 lbs and my jeans are fitting better :-) she's lost a few pounds and seems to have more bounce to her step too (even though she does seem to fight it and moan about wanting bread often enough!) I'd say in the last few weeks, my energy levels have shot up (I'm running again..about 3x a week & joined a Saturday morning park-run) and have been enjoying the new creativity in cooking and seeking out recipes etc! The one thing I've noticed THE MOST, is that I'm just not as hungry. All my life, I've joked that I don't have the switch in my brain that tells me to stop eating...and in just 3 weeks I seem to have found it! I'm not eating as much, I get satiated faster, and I can "take or leave" food more easily now. Although I'm excited to lose weight and tine up, this liberation from gluttony, over-eating and all the guilt associated with it is proving to be the biggest reward yet!! :-)

Thanks for reading and all the support out there. I hope to be around for quite a while :-)

(Started primal sept 26,2011 @ 169lbs. Goal weight 150-155lbs)

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to primal.

You say you got a masters as an osteopath. What does one do with that degree? I don't believe we have it in the U.S. By the way, both of my paternal grandparents were osteopaths. Anyway, the more primal medical professionals we have, the better.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Londongalgoneprimal is offline Junior Member
    Basically you practice as an osteopath :-)
    My degree involved lots of nutrition & naturopathy too, so I'm trained to analyse diets and given advice for that, ESP in relation to musculoskeletal health, but general inflame/anti-inflam diets too. So it's just been so interesting to read all this new "non-conventional" research and advice and grains and wheat.. Makes me want to do more advanced nutritional training one day, as I've already seen courses available in this kinda stuff!

:-)

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Yay!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.