Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Paleo/Primal - Under 50 bucks a week page 2

Gweebles is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Can you plant your own little garden? That will eventually help with some of the food costs. I can't in my yard because the deer eat the plants, but it is a good way to get your veggies cheap
    Success is getting what you want, Happiness is wanting what you get~Brother Dave Gardner

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    @Josh: Do you know about the excellent uncured "ends and pieces" bacon at TJ's? It's high-quality bacon at a fraction of the cost. A full pound for $2.99. (Usually a pack of bacon slices isn't even 1 pound.) Once you go "ends and pieces," you never go back! Fair warning: This stuff is super-fatty.

Trader Joe's

I'm surprised I'm not seeing sardines (packed in OO) on these lists. Big nutritional bang for the buck.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    @Josh: Do you know about the excellent uncured "ends and pieces" bacon at TJ's? It's high-quality bacon at a fraction of the cost. A full pound for $2.99. (Usually a pack of bacon slices isn't even 1 pound.) Once you go "ends and pieces," you never go back! Fair warning: This stuff is super-fatty.

Trader Joe's

I'm surprised I'm not seeing sardines (packed in OO) on these lists. Big nutritional bang for the buck.
    omfg that bacon ends is delicious!!!!. Super fatty is not a problem. Trying to hit a 50/30/20 ratio is hard as hell some times.

Also i would plant my own gardin, but that ruins the point of the excercise. Next week im going local farm. I got a few egg plants im gonna fry up tonight!
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Sardines, or other canned fish should definitely be on a most-nutrtional-value-per-dollar list. While I love fresh, wild salmon I don't love the $16/lb price tag, there's no denying the effectiveness of canned, omega-3 rich fish as a great nutritional source at a reasonable price. Not to mention convenient - just open a can, flake it over your greens/veggies, and you've got a great salad that makes a whole meal.
    Last edited by jsa23; 10-16-2011 at 02:31 PM.

petriquor is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsa23 View Post
    Sardines, or other canned fish should definitely be on a most-nutrtional-value-per-dollar list. While I love fresh, wild salmon I don't love the $16/lb price tag, there's no denying the effectiveness of canned, omega-3 rich fish as a great nutritional source at a reasonable price. Not to mention convenient - just open a can, flake it over your greens/veggies, and you've got a great salad that makes a whole meal.
    I love my sardines...unfortunately I've found it's pretty much the fastest way to clear a room. I don't know anyone besides myself who's able stand even stand the smell.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by petriquor View Post
    I love my sardines...unfortunately I've found it's pretty much the fastest way to clear a room. I don't know anyone besides myself who's able stand even stand the smell.
    I hear you - I mostly eat canned fish for lunch on the weekends, or occasionally for dinner on weekday evenings(I'm single) when I'm in a hurry, but not at work. I generally don't eat sardines - there's also canned salmon(more expensive, but still much cheaper than fresh/frozen, and you can still get it wild-caught), mackerel, herring, some tuna, and others.

Quote Originally Posted by jsa23 View Post
    I hear you - I mostly eat canned fish for lunch on the weekends, or occasionally for dinner on weekday evenings(I'm single) when I'm in a hurry, but not at work. I generally don't eat sardines - there's also canned salmon(more expensive, but still much cheaper than fresh/frozen, and you can still get it wild-caught), mackerel, herring, some tuna, and others.
    It's because they are too busy eating their bagels and screwing with their sense of smell with gliadin and co.

I figure sardines probably won't smell all that bad.

Will look into it next week.

BTW, I'm holding off good on what I got. I've been full the whole time, still losing a LOT of weight, and I feel Excelent.

One more thing to note, my aspergers syndrome has helped me listen to my body incredibly well. The obvious downsides to having a mental disease are there, but my physical body is much healthier for it.
    Last edited by fpsjosh01; 10-17-2011 at 07:20 AM.
    Follow me on google+

Hey guys, I'm going shopping tomorrow and will post up my receipts again.

This week I started by getting a few bananas for the wife and I'm not including the 11 oz sirloin I had last night at the TEXAS ROADHOUSE. (Grass fed delicious)

This week's total .29 cents so far, had a banana.

Still riding the pork shoulder and protein shake for protein intake at the moment.
    Follow me on google+

Clabbergirl is offline Senior Member
    Just found this thread and so glad I did. I've been thinking there's no way I can afford grass-fed anything after browsing my local grocery, but maybe I'm looking at it wrong. I feel guilty spending so much on cage-free eggs as it is. I like the idea someone said of buying CW produce and putting more $ on the meat. Will have to save my grocery receipt on the next trip. Thanks for starting this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Clabbergirl View Post
    Just found this thread and so glad I did. I've been thinking there's no way I can afford grass-fed anything after browsing my local grocery, but maybe I'm looking at it wrong. I feel guilty spending so much on cage-free eggs as it is. I like the idea someone said of buying CW produce and putting more $ on the meat. Will have to save my grocery receipt on the next trip. Thanks for starting this thread.
    The best way to do it is to eat Conventional Meat that's about to go bad at your supermarket. It's a whole bunch cheaper. That way, you can freeze it when you get home. Just make sure you don't skimp on your eggs that day because you will need a whole lot of omega 3 to make up for it.

I personally spent 10 dollars on about 2 pounds of pork shoulder of cw meat one week and I've been riding it since.

I didn't post mine up this week because I bought local and couldn't remember the price.

It came to 46 dollars for all organic vegtables and 8$ worth of grassfed beef.
    Follow me on google+

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast