Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal vs Paleo? page

Bosnic is offline Senior Member

Primal vs Paleo?

Primal Fuel
    I was first introduced to the "Paleo diet", which essentially includes shaping your diet around how humans have eaten for the majority of our existence. And then I stumbled across this site, and some people are hinting that there is a difference between paleo and primal.

What is the difference? (except for the fact Primal is basically Mark's "trademark")

adamm is offline Senior Member
    They are compatible. Paleo seems to be a bit more "hard core" and stringent. No legumes, dairy, etc - ie only eat what our paleolithic ancestors ate, and nothing else. Primal seems to be more or less the same, but with a bit more common sense thrown into the equation.

Lawyers could probably find a more clear difference, but I wouldn't bother. Except them as more or less the same thing.

--Me

Dracil is offline Senior Member
    What’s the Difference Between Primal and Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple

One thing to note is that Robb Wolf of the Paleo Solution actually eats Primal.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Have dinner w/ a bunch of strict paleo's and tell me you aren't ready to run screaming from the building. Shoot me for saying it but primal: paleo=vegetarian:vegan.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    Have dinner w/ a bunch of strict paleo's and tell me you aren't ready to run screaming from the building. Shoot me for saying it but primal: paleo=vegetarian:vegan.
    Ack!!! Harsh! funny and thought provoking but harsh!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    If you were to take the entirety of eating perspectives, and start breaking them down by category, the chain would work like this...

All Food ---> Real Food (no frankenfoods) ---> Primal ---> Paleo

In effect, Paleo is a subset of the "Primal" perspective.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Truly I always thought dairy was the main component between the two.

Makes sense Velocity.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    The dairy and the lean animal protein seem to be the main differences.
    I started reading about the Paleo diet first - I became angry and red flags popped up when I got to the part of "leanest cuts possible" and "Chicken breast, not thighs"

Eff You!! The thighs are my favorite part! Tell me not to eat dark meat - I might rip your throat out. i've also learned that if I don't eat a large amount of fat in my diet, things go bad.

Fatty red meat is my good friend. As is heavy whipping cream.

Paleo is not for me. Primal is much better for my personal situation.

leomeister is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie View Post
    Eff You!! The thighs are my favorite part! Tell me not to eat dark meat - I might rip your throat out. i've also learned that if I don't eat a large amount of fat in my diet, things go bad.
    Ditto! Also, I think the biggest reason for my success with Primal is Mark's 80% philosophy -- sure I strive for 100% daily, but don't feel bad when I slip down to 90%. On occasion I'll dip down to 80%! I think on average I'm a 90% Primal eater.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I see paleo as a more ascetic version of primal -- much closer to Atkins/low-carb and more of a diet. Thus the lean meats and fat avoidance, which frankly makes it unsustainable for most people (also perhaps one reason the people who stick with it can get kind of fanatical, in my experience).

Primal is more flexible and less obsessed with historical/archeological caveman practices, more holistic (the 80/20 is to my mind all about stress reduction), and therefore a bit harder to pin down
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast