Thread: Primal after a Half Marathon? page

Gavin is offline Member

Primal after a Half Marathon?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey guys. I'm planning on going primal after I run a half marathon in November. I was wondering if I should go primal right after, the day after, or the monday after. Oh, and if it makes any difference I'm 17 and looking to bulk up, not down. SO thanks!!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    why not right now? plenty of people are primal runners. you can still have plenty of carbs for your training...just make them good ones: white and sweet potatoes, yams, white rice, fruit, veggies, nuts

Karma is offline Senior Member
    The last thing I would want is the carb flu in the middle of training and tapering for a HM. I would wait until after the run. Eat whatever you want for as many days as hours it takes you to finish the run and then start primal.

Dave

tplank is offline Senior Member
    +1 on Karma. A half isn't that big of thing from a replenishment/recovery standpoint so you might look at the finish line tape as the start of your new life.

Blah is offline Senior Member
    I'm with Rob, start the change now, even if only slowly, although I like the idea of the finish line being the start of your new life.

You might like to take a look at my blog for homemade workout gear, its helped my put on over 5kg or muscle.
    www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

Gavin is offline Member
    I can't do it now because I still have Cross COUntry practice, but right after seems good. THanks!

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Wait until after. You really don't want to bonk out on your long training runs or the race itself. It's only a few more weeks.

But there's no reason you can't start with some Primal body weight exercises, and the sprinting will actually improve your HM performance. Just time your lifting so that it's nowhere near your long runs.

Good luck on the half marathon!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
    I can't do it now because I still have Cross COUntry practice, but right after seems good. THanks!
    are grains a requirement at those practices?

maybe it's just me, but when it comes to carbing up, cereals, breads and pasta don't hold a candle to a plate full of sweet potato fries or bacony homefries.

macroniche is offline Junior Member
    heck i'm just impressed you are hip to this at 17. A few more months will not matter especially with your 17 year old runners metabolism... But Gavin has a good point, don't cut carbs, just starting eating good ones. you'll probably improve rather than boink. yam with cinnamon and butter just make sure you baked it for like 90 min. so it's mushy. one man's opinion. have fun.

Gavin is offline Member

Afterwards?

Do you have any ideas about what I should eat post race? I had an idea about a coconut milk shake and eggs, but I might not be able to get the milk. THanks!