Thread: Double cream!!! :-) page

Londongalgoneprimal is offline Junior Member

Double cream!!! :-)

so...last night for dinner I made grilled pork chops, wilted spinach, and a root vegetable dauphinoise. I used parsnips, sweet potato & beetroot to keep GI down and it was SO yummy & slightly sweet, even better than normal potato dauphinoise.

Throughout the meal, I was telling my partner how cream & butter & high fat dairy is "allowed" as long as we're not eating the grains/wheat (which we're not). But after trying to convincer her of this and later thinking...I'm not sure I could convince myself of being able to eat a dish with 200mL of double-cream in it, whilst still trying to lose weight!

Am I taking it a bit far? Is that much double cream "allowed" whilst I'm trying to lose weight??

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I eat LOTS of double cream and my weight has dropped 1.5 stone. I am now pretty well where I want to be weight wise. I have sour cream in stroganov, goulash etc, double cream in chicken and pork dishes and over sliced bananas (love it!), just not every day!

Londongalgoneprimal is offline Junior Member
    Wicked!! I like it :-)

It's so rich, i don't think i COULD eat it everyday. LOL

reeferjon is offline Member
    Loads of double cream here too...had to stop getting the double heavy cream as just kept eating 200g tubs with a spoon lol......

Fury is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It really depends on what the rest of your diet looks like, how you've managed to integrate it, what other sources of fat, etc...

It's something that can one can go overboard on, but I've also found it very useful to make an excessively lean meal more balanced.
    You've gotta remember that 200ml of heavy cream is gonna be 600-750 calories worth of butterfat, and depending on your size and activity level that could be 25-40% of your daily calorie needs just from that small cup o cream. If you account for that when planning meals then it won't have a negative effect on your fat loss.

With that said, from the reading I've done lately we're better off also using olive oil & olives for a good chunk of our daily fat needs rather than relying too heavily on butterfat. The neutral/beneficial effects of olive oil on lipids seems a good contrast against the potential negative effects of some fractions of butterfat like Myristic Acid.

Plus, even grass-fed dairy is higher in omega6's than omega3's, so the larger chunk it makes of your daily fat intake the more difficult it is to balance with fatty fish consumption or fish oil/omega3 supplements.
    Last edited by Fury; 10-15-2011 at 01:15 PM.