Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Halfway primal on a college budget-- hurting more than helping? page 2

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerSummoner View Post
    Velocity, you are completely right. Finding the right deals is tough when you compete with a horde of thrifty moms though, which I seem to every Friday morning :-P
    Just use your Primalness and grab the lion's share for yourself.

...wait, just noticed. Auburn doesn't have dining facilities, did I read that right??

Also, if you're talking about the plain GRE, don't worry about it. It's no tougher than the SAT. Seriously. I took it without studying one whit and blew it out of the water.
    Last edited by Velocity; 10-16-2011 at 04:06 PM.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

TigerSummoner is offline Junior Member
    I just took it for the second time. First time I did very well, but this second time... well.. :-) :-) :-) I don't get the official scores back until November, so I'm not going to jinx it until then, but I think I might have just made my grad school dreams come true.

And yeah, Auburn has "dining services" now, but it's just a collection of fast food. As a senior, I don't have to buy campus dining dollars, so I don't-- why waste my money on junk food. Auburn used to have a cafeteria before I was a student, but the quality was so poor they let Chik-Fil-A, McDonalds and Co handle the food from then on out.

EDIT: Spelling errors. Embarrassing.
    Last edited by TigerSummoner; 10-16-2011 at 09:02 PM.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Check out Latino/Asian markets for reasonably priced meats, and also good spices for cheap. I find the produce really good quality too. Good luck, and welcome.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Oh someone mentioned their budget for eating in college... I worked ~15 hrs a week on-campus with a full course load. I spent $40-50 a week on groceries, so maybe $200 a month. If you have access to a fridge and stove, you can definitely reduce this (keep in mind those costs included some things like toilet paper, I was living in an apartment) and eat pretty well. Chicken, peppers & onions were my go-to food.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

likwidoxigen is offline Senior Member
    I did just go out and buy a bunch of fish oil capsules. I don't particularly care to take supplements, but this one isn't so bad.

DIT: I meant "non-grass-fed beef." Whoops.
    The worst part of non-grass fed beef is that you're messing with your omega 3 to omega 6 ratio. I eat a lot of conventional meat and just have a couple capsules of high potency fish oil (i take 4 1000mg capsules a day). Also I love organ meats so "Pet Burger" from USWellness is something I eat a good bit of. Usually I'll have about 3-7 pounds of meat a week depending on activity and where my mood is and about half of it will be pet burger (not officially for human consumption but made to the same standards and FREAKING DELISH), the other half will be made up of conventional pork, beef and chicken.

You can also always pick up "Grass Fed Tallow" from USWellness which is a great (and a tub goes a pretty long way) way to add good fat rich in Omega-3's to dishes.

If you don't have issues with soreness or joint pain then you're probably young and healthy enough to get away with the high omega-6's and can just keep grass fed on your radar for going to in the future.

SoccerGrok, our only Asian market just went out of business... it wasn't very popular despite the low prices.

Nameless, the price of groceries seem to be increasing dramatically. For the same groceries, my bill was 20% higher than 2 years ago.

Likwid, that is an /amazing/ idea. Both the organ meats and grass-fed-tallow. I actually enjoy liver and onions. And my joints are more than fine, in fact, I've never had a joint issue in my life. Knock on wood :-P

likwidoxigen is offline Senior Member
    And my joints are more than fine, in fact, I've never had a joint issue in my life. Knock on wood :-P
    I'm so jealous of you. I was in great shape in highschool and ate terrible in college and ruined it all, that lead me to tons of joint pain and acid reflux. I'm super glad that you managed to find primal in college. Keep on it as best as you can and conventional meat is 1000% better than any grain or legume you find. You're going to be doing great since you're already in great shape.
    Last edited by likwidoxigen; 10-18-2011 at 05:29 AM. Reason: college not highschool

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Hang in there Tiger! Grok on!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thank you, Hedonist! :-) I no longer crave carbs, I am losing fat rapidly, putting on muscle like crazy, and my IBS and GERD are /completely/ gone! :-D :-D My fiancee is trying it, and so are my mom and dad. There might just be a little block of groks in Alabama soon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12