Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Releasing my inner siren - ErinF page 5

ErinF is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I should add that I really want to work on toning up. I know heavy weights are the way to go, but I'm so lost on what to do. I need to tone my thighs, arms, butt and I'd like to get some more definition in my back and tummy. Sigh...so much to do.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Maybe look into Kettlebells? I have a 15 lb kettlebell and just do as many swings as I can (watched videos for proper form) until I feel like I can't handle it anymore, a few times a week. It's not much, but there are a lot of other exercises you can do with them, and swings are a nice way to build up muscle when you have little to start with (as is my case heh). 15 lbs is the recommended starting place for women, I believe. 25 lb for a man or a semi-fit woman.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

lexie is offline Senior Member
    I know you want to tone up, but take it slow - you don't want to injure yourself by pushing too hard too fast after your surgery. You've already come so far! Give your body time to recover before pushing yourself.

I've stayed 100% away from wheat and all since about October. Recently I moved states while my husband is deployed. He left in March and is due to come back in 7 weeks. I'm under a ton of stress. Right now I'm basically a single mom with two kids ages 2 and 1. My sleep is crap, the baby wakes up a lot at night still and really I can't sleep alone very well so I end up going to bed late. Both kids are getting molars right now so basically life is hell for me atm. I was doing really good with sticking to the grain free and sugar free when I first moved, but I slowly spiraled into the craziness I'm dealing with now. I can't remember when it started, but I started eating wheat and now I can't stop eating crap. Sugar, wheat, tons of potatoes and rice. I've never done this before and I really feel hopeless. I know eating this way is contributing to my fatigue, bad mood, and allergy symptoms; but no matter what I do I just can't shake this! I've also had a really hard time not snacking. It's like since I started eating the crap, I'm always hungry and/or not satisfied.

I haven't gained any weight back (45 lbs lost), but I feel if I keep this up I'm going to gain. I've also started lifting heavy weights with a trainer 3 days a week. I'm wondering if my macro ratio's are off and now that I've added weight lifting to my already crazy schedule I'm not eating the either enough protein or fat and the result is my feeling hungry all the time. Or maybe I've just created a habit.

How do I shake this? I'm desperate to gain some control or SOMETHING since my whole world has been turned upside down. Thank God it's just temporary, but I hate feeling like this.

Starting today I officially need a reset button. I don’t fully understand why I’m having such a hard time with my eating habits and cravings. I started my Primal lifestyle shift with tons of enthusiasm and curiosity, I was excited about taking the steps forward to repairing my body, mind, and spirit. I wanted to be renewed, I wanted to be healthy, and I needed to do something now.

I was initially drawn in by the claims of boundless energy, six pack abs with no effort, and insane amounts of weight loss in such a short amount of time. I was hoping all of these things would happen to me, but unfortunately none of them really happened. I did lose a lot of weight, dropping from 178 to 130, but I did that over the course of 6 months or so. Even after all that weight loss my body fat percent remained near 30%. I have to mention it did drop from 36% to 30% during my weight loss, and any improvement in that area is wonderful.

I admit that my sole purpose for losing weight was so that I could get a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) to repair my horribly sagging abs and stretched skin; acquired from having two rather large babies really close together. My body just wasn’t built for having kids. I did eventually have my surgery and my body fat dropped another 5%.

My original weight loss goal was to get to 130 pounds, but since joining the primal community I’ve learned that a # on a scale isn’t a good way to go about weight loss. My new goal is to be at or under 20% body fat. I’d love to be around 17%, but my husband says no, haha, he likes a little more softness to my body I suppose. I seem to fluctuate between 130 and 135 lbs during the week. I never drop below 130 (could be a mental block) and I never seem to go above 135.

I paid for a personal trainer to teach me how to do some heavy lifting, the proper way. I loved it. My body was starting to shift to a more built look., I was able to do deadlifts and squats and all sorts of “manly” exercises. I was only using the bar for a lot of it, I believe it was around 45 lbs. I wasn’t really slimming down much, but you could see some muscle tone under the layers of fat. I actually don’t like this look, I’d rather be lean than bulky, but I think my body type just LOVES to build muscle. I bulk up rather easily, it’s obnoxious when that’s what I DON’T want to do. This is where my frustration begins. Despite my going to the gym 4 days a week for 3 straight months, with maybe 1 missed session; my body fat remained at 25%. Yes, we were using that static thing to measure it, and yes I know it fluctuates some, but it didn’t even budge up or down.

I’m not looking to lose weight as far as pounds go, I am just fine staying at 130 lbs, but I REALLY want to get down to 20% body fat. It can’t be that hard!!

Ok, so now here I am, ready to pull my hair out. I have not been able to get control of my cravings. I don’t crave anything in particular I just crave food. I swear if there were a detox center for CW eating and diets, I’d sign up asap. I’ve tried my best to stay away from non-primal foods, but for a while I was without my husband during a short deployment. I was stressed to the max and when I get that way, any and all willpower goes out the window. I really don’t know what my problem is, I’m like a monster. If I eat breakfast I seem to want to eat everything I come into contact with. It’s like if my eyes catch a glimpse of it, it goes directly into my mouth. I get this way a week before that “time of the month” and during that week I do my best, but I don’t beat myself up over it. Lately, though, it seems as if its never ending. Today, for example, I ate breakfast. My breakfast contained 2 eggs over easy, 1 slice of bacon, and a few shreds of potato. I wasn’t particularly full, but I was satisfied. Then, not 2 hours later I had snacked on all sorts of other crap, 2 mini pieces of chocolate, 1 serving of Noosa yogurt, 2 leftover meatballs (about the size of a gumball), cup of sugar snap peas with butter and a handful of nuts. It’s now lunchtime and I’m not hungry at all, but I’m sure if I pass the fridge I’ll make myself a salad with a few leftover meatballs and homemade ranch dressing.

Why can’t I stop eating? Why am I having such a hard time staying primal? Why is my body fat % not lowering despite my heavy lifting?

These are all of the things I could think of that might be a factor:

Husband’s deployment from March to July
    Moving states yet again, just to have to move to a new state in September
    Not sleeping well
    Not eating enough fat, therefore not feeling satiated
    Eating too much sugar

Despite everything I’ve done I still don’t have any improvement in my energy levels, my hair is falling out like crazy, I feel a little sluggish on a daily basis and I can’t seem to stay focused on anything. I’ve had all my thyroid levels tested and everything is normal. Trust me, I’ve had ALL of the tests and I even got into an argument with my doctor over it. I’m within normal ranges.

I wish there was a magic button you could push that would solve all your problems for you. I bet the answer is staring me in the face, but I'm so absorbed in the situation that I just cant see it. /faceplantintoawall

Well it's been a year and I've managed to lose 45 pounds and maintain a healthy weight. I feel awesome and even have some slight ab definition coming in. I'll be back in my hometown and back in the gym for more powerlifting training and will soon have my toned body back. Making the switch to primal has been such a worthwhile journey!

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    Congrats!

You said above that you were lost when it came to weight training - try New Rules of Lifting for Women. I've been following it for a while now, and its fantastic. The movements are all so basic and its easy to make progress. I feel very strong In tonight session I hope to get a PR and deadlift 1x my bodyweight.

You also mention about energy, sometimes I feel cheated too, that I don't bounce out of bed in the mornings and when I get home from work sometimes its all I can do to not crash. I still use coffee as a crutch. I've found maintaining a regular sleep pattern (hard with kids) is really really important, and investing that time in myself to make sure I sleep. Like you I remember this is all a journey, to figure out what combination of factors works well for you personally.
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Every time I see your thread title, this:

A siren.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinF View Post
    Well it's been a year and I've managed to lose 45 pounds and maintain a healthy weight. I feel awesome and even have some slight ab definition coming in. I'll be back in my hometown and back in the gym for more powerlifting training and will soon have my toned body back. Making the switch to primal has been such a worthwhile journey!
    Congratulations, Erin. Your persistance has paid off. Yay for you.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    hahahaha, I'm not really sure what to make of that! I was definitely not thinking of THAT when I named my journal :P

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Every time I see your thread title, this:

A siren.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast