Thread: Glycerol to ATP page

raiyous is offline Junior Member

Glycerol to ATP

Primal Fuel
    So I've been reading Body by Science by Doug McGuff and I came across something I haven't been able to figure out. On page 44 (at least on the nook version) he talks about fat metabolism. He said that beta oxidation of fat gives about 35 ATP. I broke out my old biochem book and looked up the beta oxidation for palmitic acid (the fatty acid that our body likes to store fats as) and its true it will give you 35 ish depending on which estimates you use for NADH and FAD to ATP.

He then talks about the glycerol being shunted to liver, converted to glucose and undergoing "further oxidation through a process" that will yield 96 ATP. Now I've looked but I can't determine where he got this. I can't figure out what process he's talking about.

Glucose undergoing glycolosis will net 2 ATP and if aerobic respiration is possible then the Kerbs cycle will produce 34-36 more through oxidative phosphorylation and substrate-level phosphorylation for a net of 36-38 ATP (in reality it is 28-30 due to transport processes). If its anaerobic then the pyruvate is turned into lactate shunted to the liver where it undergoes gluconeogenesis costing 6 ATP.

Does anyone know what process he is talking about and where he got the 96 ATP?
    Last edited by raiyous; 10-13-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

raiyous is offline Junior Member
    Yeah I see how using slightly different Acetyl CoA to ATP numbers gives 96 (my book has 10 per, but that website uses 12) but in his book he was specifically talking about the glycerol molecule ->glucose->96ATP "Moreover, glycerol, an intermediate step in this process can also be shunted to the liver and converted to glucose which then can undergo further oxidation through a process that will yield an astounding 96 molecules of ATP"