Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's the Oldest Grok Here? page

chazglen is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

There's a reason I'm asking. I'm wondering if 60 year-old muscles have a harder time of increasing bulk and are less responsive to exercise. The other part is that I would LOVE to sprint up a hill... or on the flat even but my knees say no. The closest I can get is upping my cranks on the stationary bike... not quite the same.

stryker902 is offline Junior Member

good question, I am 45 and kinda stayed away from any hard weight lifting for muscle. do more of jeff lyons pilates for men, my thought was if im gonna get old and alone i want to be able to move around easily on my on.

BY the way, pilates was originally designed for men, boxers in germany before joseph pilates came to america. So curious also is it worth any time investment after 45.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

I'm a 51 year old female. I didn't start doing anything exercise-wise until I was 45. I took it nice and slow, but after six years of working out consistently, I'm now the strongest woman at my gym. I have no doubt, however, that if I had started 20 years ago, I could achieve the same goals with half the effort!

I think a bigger problem is fast-twitch muscles, which apparently are the hardest to get back once you lose them over the years. I'm always trying to rev them up by working with a reaction/agility ball:

http://www.amazon.com/Kytec-Innovative-Sport-Reaction-Ball/dp/B0000BYMGP

I've also been practicing my "mad skillz" with a hackey sack I got in my Christmas stocking. Hah! My record is 4 bounces between my foot and my knee. I'm sure I'll improve somewhat with practice, but I'll never be able to do all that fast, twitchy stuff that the teens are able to do.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

OTB

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

chazglen is offline Junior Member

Off Track Betting?

shastagirl Guest

otb i think is onthebayou or something like that is his member name on here.

FairyRae2 Guest

Chazglen, do you ever make/eat bone broth? I really feel like regular consumption has greatly helped my joints and enabled me to do a lot more than I could w/out it... (My joints felt achey and creaky after doing regular exercise for a while...and they feel wonderful now as long as I keep bone broth in my diet...I notice a big difference when I stop making/eating it for a couple weeks...)

I've got a bunch of links about bone broth here if you're interested: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...98&postcount=2
    [quote]

Homemade broth is rich in calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and other trace minerals. The minerals in broth are easily absorbed by the body. Bone broth even contains glucosamine and chondroiton – which are thought to help mitigate the deletorious effects of arthritis and joint pain. Rather than shelling out big bucks for glucosamine-chondroitin and mineral supplements, just make bone broth and other nutritive foods a part of your regular diet.

Further, homemade bone broths are often rich in gelatin. Gelatin is an inexpensive source of supplementary protein. Gelatin also shows promise in the fight against degenerative joint disease. It helps to support the connective tissue in your body and also helps the fingernails and hair to grow well and strong.</blockquote>

It&#39;s not too hard to make, (http://everythingfreeeating.blogspot...hy-bother.html) and the easiest way for me to use it is to boil it down so it is very concentrated, freeze it into ice cube trays and then pop a couple cubes into any sauce, soup, casserole, etc. I&#39;m making. My favorite way to use it is in this BBQ sauce http://www.nourishingdays.com/?p=1416 (yum!) May be worth a try???

Paneristi is offline Member

Im 51 - an old fart ...

worthc is offline Junior Member

My dad has been primal for about 8 months now. I introduced him to the Primal Blueprint last summer. He is 67. He has lost 20lbs., gotten off of all his heart medicine (very controlled experiment doing the primal blueprint under close watch of his cardiologist). He says he feels 40 again and definitely looks it. He doesn&#39;t have a computer or I am sure he&#39;d be posting this himself. It literally changed his life. Best gift I ever gave him.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Wow... awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast