Thread: Pregnancy and carbs page

trail chick is offline Junior Member

Pregnancy and carbs

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    hi there! I'm 12 weeks pregnant and I am newly recommitted to eating Primal because of the horrible heartburn and insomnia I've endured at night over the last year. (btw, I've been back "on the wagon" for the last 2 weeks and my heartburn has been completely gone for the last few nights. Imagine that. Duh.) Anyway, my concern is with my carb intake. I have heard that you really should avoid getting close to ketosis when pregnant. So I want to stay around the 150 g p/day range. When I track a typical day on my online calorie counter (Mark's primal omelet in the morning, almonds for a snack, chicken salad for lunch, and meat and veggie for dinner) I am still just around 50 grams for the day. So I added a banana for a snack and a sweet potato at dinner. That puts me around 100 grams, according to my counter. What else can I add that's healthy??

It seems that you have to eat MASSIVE amounts of veggies to get to 150 grams for the day. Is my online counter accurate on that?? It tells me 2 cups of lettuce has only 3 grams of carbs. THANKS for any help or advice!!
    p.s. I DID look back through all recent pregnancy posts here and didn't find my answer...so I have already read those. Thanks!!

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    rice

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    It's a bit of a myth, from my research and my clients' experiences.

There's no need to avoid ketosis during pregnancy--that said, there's no need to be in ketosis, either!

I address this in my answer to the first comment on my Primal Pregnancy Diet post.

If you are over 50 gm of carbs a day, you are likely not to be in ketosis. No worries!

Sweet potatoes, potatoes, tapioca and dairy can help if you feel the need to up your carbs to feel better.

trail chick is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the replies! Good article. Thanks for the reassurance and advice regarding ketosis. I eat dairy so that does bump up my carb numbers, too. I may "treat" myself to a small amount of rice each week too. Of course, after Mark's past discussions on the rice subject, I'll probably stick with white rice. I think I hear a California roll calling my name!! :-)

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member