Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermittent Fasting for Fast Weight Loss, Better Health & Supreme Fitness page 2

Grim is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    IF has been great for me. The only thing for me was getting over the "I have to eat breakfast" that my mind -and- body were used to. Once I got over this hump I realized that I'm not hungry in the mornings, I was just being habitual.

Physically, I have much more energy, particularly in the morning. I'm not groggy in the morning. I have more energy in the afternoon. My muscle growth has been better, I'm leaner...and much more. (maybe it's the HGH thing? )

I'll be a life IFer.

Great post on your blog OP, I felt a lot of the same pains you did at first. Enjoyable read.

cogsjon is offline Member
    so when IF, how many calories do you take in during your non-fasting period??

phildrolet is offline Member
    Thanks Grim for the feedback and kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Physically, I have much more energy, particularly in the morning. I'm not groggy in the morning. I have more energy in the afternoon. My muscle growth has been better, I'm leaner...and much more. (maybe it's the HGH thing? )
    That's just amazing! I'm only on my 18th fasting day in total and I'm already thinking this might be a long-term thing!!

phildrolet is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cogsjon View Post
    so when IF, how many calories do you take in during your non-fasting period??
    I eat the same amount of calories as I would over a whole day on a normal eating schedule.

Mostly clean foods, with a bit more sauces and deliciousness, and higher protein intake then general.

It actually makes it quite fun because that 8 hour of feeding is a bit of a smash fest :P

cogsjon is offline Member
    Your blog is pretty awesome. I first read it when you posted your 30 day cold shower challenge. Thanks for the post on IF, I'm really excited to try it and see what results I get.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm, you mention that Universe thing? I just did a 24-hour fast yesterday and need something to focus on after the 30 day primal challenge. I also have my baseline in the form of bloodwork that wasn't super-awesome in the cholesterol category. Count me in on the 28 day challenge =)
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Nkem is offline Junior Member
    IF has also been great for me. Been at it for about a month now. I don't even think about food until the usual lunch hour when everyone else in the office is eating. The focus and energy is amazaing. It's simplified my life because I only have to think about my evening meals. The only thing I have to look out for is that I'm not sure i'm getting enough calories in my feeding window. I get easily full eating primal. I'm just not that hungry anymore and my sugar cravings are at bay for now. I typically eat between 5pm - 9pm everyday and it's been working like a charm. Keep us updated on how it goes.

Cheers!

dboxing is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikM View Post
    a couple questions on IF in junction with Leptin Reset

can/should these 2 "programs" (for lack of better term) be combined?

does it matter/is there a "better time" to IF daily?

i've been toying with the idea of IF a little this week...tuesday and wednesday i woke up @ 0500 and didn't break the fast until 1000 when i normally eat breakfast around 0600

it didn't kill me, or make me go crazy watching the clock for when i could "finally" eat

anyhow, i ate @ 1000, 1300 and 1700-1800 and that was it...iirc, this falls into the 8/16 for IF (based off the little i've read from leangains) -- NOTE: iirc, these eating times, or better yet, the elapsed time between these eating times, seemed to also go against the leptin reset concept/idea of spacing out eating 5-6 hours because the body is still dealing with the insulin, etc, from the previous meal

on wednesday morning, perusing here and there, i was reading into leptin resets...not eating until 1000 after waking @ 0500 seems to fall way outside of the "eat 50g protein within 30min of waking" that is step1 of a leptin reset

anyhow, yesterday, i tried the leptin reset and ate breakfast approx 0600 followed by lunch around 1300...didn't eat again until 0730 this morning...didn't kill me either

so, if i do the LR i should do breakfast between 0530 and 0600...not out of the question...i guess that would allow me to have lunch/dinner around 1200-1300 and be done for the next 16hrs

is there some reason leangains suggests its 8hr window around 1200 until 2000? is it just how his schedule is setup? i'm thinking i should be able to adjust the IF concepts to fit my schedule...i mean, isn't 8/16 in the morning/afternoon == 8/16 afternoon/evening?

oh, and this is may or may not apply to either IF/LR, but why the hell am i yawning all the damn time this week? meh

thanks,

E--
    I donít get the leptin reset thing, seems too much like the flavor of the day. I do get the IF thing, because it works for me, and because for 99.9% of our existence, Mother Nature decided if, when, and what we ate, and many times we simply didnít eat. Besides, the IF benefits are evidenced by peer reviewed scientific studies, not supposition, and if you donít eat you have to lose weight (itís that simple).

I think a lot of it has to do with age, activity level, and ability to moderate during the ďfeedingĒ window. Just my opinion, but I notice that the under 35ís do better with 16/8, while the over 35ís do better with 20/4. On the activity level, 16/8 is great if folks are hitting it pretty hard, but if not, a person can easily get in enough food in an 8 hour window to undue their fat loss (same for moderation).

sunnysara is offline Senior Member
    Quick question - does anyone know why only 14 hours is required for women (versus the 16 for men)?

I've read The Perfect Health Diet and they recommend 16 (no distinction between men & women) which I've tried a couple of times.

I'm new to Primal life, but I'm excited to try IF some more... also to train while fasted/eat after workout... For some reason I'm scared to do this but working up some will.

Lastly, a comment - man, you go to bed late!!! I had to do the math on how you don't eat until dinner the next day! For me, a 16-hour IF gets me to 11:00 AM or noon the next day.

runner_79 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had my 16 hour fast today. 7pm yesterday til 11 today. Felt refreshed.
    One question,
    If its fat loss, do i run at a slow pace say 8minute mile pace or train at normal 6:10minute mile pace for 40minutes?when is it best to do this as in time wise into a fast?
    Last edited by runner_79; 10-15-2011 at 09:46 PM.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast