Thread: This is irritating page

shiggles is offline Senior Member

This is irritating

Primal Fuel
    The Most Shocking Diet Myths Slide Show | LIVESTRONG.COM

They talk about "research" and "studies" and "experts" but there are no citations whatsoever. Just a bunch of two or three sentence anecdotes from the author. People take this seriously? This is entertainment fluff, not information.
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Well it is entertainment, but about half of it I have found is true. With me at least. I still don't get the HFCS being equivalent to sugar thing, as even the NAME of the HFCS states that it's different than regular sugar.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    The most controversial health figures is even funnier. Robb Wolf is there, just behind Kim Kardashian.
    Last edited by Winterbike; 10-13-2011 at 12:45 PM.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    lol, I read through that list and agreed with literally every point. TS, if you are so irritated by it, and are so sure that its wrong, why don't you list what you think is wrong and back up your opinions with studies?

dboxing is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    lol, I read through that list and agreed with literally every point. TS, if you are so irritated by it, and are so sure that its wrong, why don't you list what you think is wrong and back up your opinions with studies?
    +1 Most of it was/is spot-on.

TimWix is offline Junior Member
    Night Eating Makes you Fat
    Your body does not work on a 24-hour cycle. If you eat 2,000 calories in the morning and eat the same 2,000 calories at night, your body will process it the same way. The proof? When people eat their biggest meal after 8pm (compared to those who eat a large breakfast), the night eaters lose more weight and fat, according to Israeli researchers. In the end, it’s still about calories — not when they are consumed.

Read more: The Most Shocking Diet Myths Slide Show | LIVESTRONG.COM

This one's a little strange. If the Israeli researchers are correct, it does matter when you eat and your body does not process breakfast and a late night meal the same way, exactly opposite of the conclusions the writer draws.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Could you specify what part of this is irritating you so much?

Fury is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    Well it is entertainment, but about half of it I have found is true. With me at least. I still don't get the HFCS being equivalent to sugar thing, as even the NAME of the HFCS states that it's different than regular sugar.
    The naming thing is quite simple, really.
    High Fructose Corn Syrup is quite "high fructose" as it's compared against the plain (mostly glucose) corn syrup it's produced from. Most HFCS actually contains similar levels of fructose as white sugar (55/42 & 42/53 % fructose/glucose blends are most common)