Thread: Primal - useful primarily weight loss? page

Daisynyc is offline Member

Primal - useful primarily weight loss?

Hi everyone. I am a 39 year old woman with PCOS, very overweight. My endo recommended a low-carb diet to improve fertility and lose weight. I recently started training with someone who highly recommended this website and primal nutrition. I have read Mark's book, which I thought was very well done.

What wasn't in the book specifically, however, was a lot of discussion on how to go primal if you are very overweight or obese, as I am. I have searched the forum, but if there are threads dedicated to this tpoic I have not seen them. I would love to hear from others here who have lost significant weight and/or improved fertility following a primal lifestyle. If there are websites or other resources here that anyone can recommend, that would be great, too.

Thanks very much in advance. Hope to pay it forward down the road.

Daisy

TeaDub is offline Junior Member
    Hey there Daisy,

You might want to check out The Primal Leap. It is a 30 day program with tools to help you figure "it" all out. During my first 30 days I lost 18 pounds...still have more to lose (85 lbs.). There is a guidebook, a forum, and one on one support. Check it out and see what you think.

Wishing you the best.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Hi Daisy-
    I am post-menopausal and hypothyroid, and have lost just under 200 lbs in the past several years (very, very slowly). I am now at a 'normal' weight for the first time in my life. I actually discovered Primal when I was almost to maintenance. I lost all my weight eating low carb (about 20g max daily) because I learned long ago that I am very carb sensitive. Unlike many people, as I lost, I began to eliminate foods that didn't seem 'right' for me. First it was dairy and then all grains. By the time I discovered Primal Blueprint, the only change was to switch from my organic peanut butter to almond butter. In all other ways, I was eating primal.

Because of my age and thyroid condition, I found that I also had to severely restrict calories, and with PCOS, you may have to watch calories, too. But that's something to experiment with. I found that all those 'calculators' (and a nutritionist as well) were completely wrong in terms of my caloric needs.

My endo checks my blood values every 4 months, so I know this is a very healthy way to eat. I wish you the best; I have never felt better in my life than eating this way.

Daisynyc is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks teadub and Emmie!