Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you give a Sh**? page

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

How do you give a Sh**?

Primal Fuel
    Per Nerdfitness's Guide to Giving a ****, I realize that I am really lacking the motivation to being Primal. Although I do look forward to the healthy lifestyle and increased energy, I feel like there is a lot more to overcome before that threshold (low carb flu, initial weight gain, lots of $$ on grassfed meat and organic produce, miss eating copious amounts of chocolate and cheese...). I want to show my family how healthy they can become (mom has hypertension and heart issues, though she eats tons of fruit and vegetables and is at normal weight) by doing it myself. I am currently about 20-30lbs over normal weight...have a LOT of muscle, but have layer of fat over it so it looks like I'm just really fat XD I don't care THAT much about other people judging me based on weight, so I currently don't have enough motivation, or give enough sh**, to change. But I know I have to. Help and inspiration please?

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    That is something you have to reach on your own.. you have to get to the point where you just cant bear being in the state youre currently in.

Personally, i have endless motivation; #1 being to regain my fertility so I can have the pregnancy, birth, and family I've always wanted, but I also want to inspire those around me and especially my family, want to be able to go into a shop and wear anything comfortably, I want to be healthy and have enough energy to accomplish the many goals I have for myself both professionally, artistically, and personally, I want to have the stamina to climb mountains and travel the world, and yeah.. I wanna look hot.

I've never lacked motivation, but I have lacked willpower. And I've recently remedied that by supplementation. Now I'm good to go, I'm in the right mindset and on the right path, and I've lost 9lbs in 12 days and feel pretty damn good about everything. I hope you can find what you need to stay the course. It's worth it.

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    For me it was letting myself go so far to the point where i was like HOLY SH*T what am I doing..

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    Motivation is the distinct probability of a long,healthy life for you and yours.End of.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherJ View Post
    That is something you have to reach on your own.. you have to get to the point where you just cant bear being in the state youre currently in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockin Grok View Post
    For me it was letting myself go so far to the point where i was like HOLY SH*T what am I doing..
    I understand how that is a lot of people have come to Primal. But I want to be more in a preventative state; I don't want to wait until I'm almost on the brink of death to realize how badly I screwed up. I want to fix things now. But I'm young (low 20's) and stupid and I don't realize how badly things can end up. I have a lot of years ahead of me, so I don't know how valuable a long life really is. Any elders want to impart some wisdom? =)

But seeing everybody else's success and advice does increase my motivation. Perhaps you're right in that I need more willpower instead. To the supplements I go?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    You're making a mountain out of a mole-hill, and making the transition seem ridiculous to undertake, that's part of what's holding you back.

I feel like there is a lot more to overcome before that threshold (low carb flu, initial weight gain, lots of $$ on grassfed meat and organic produce, miss eating copious amounts of chocolate and cheese...)
    Change the way you think...

- low carb flu: well, this one you have to just get past, I didn't really get it. You can also taper off your carbs or start out eating good starch sources (potatoes, some fruit) so you don't just bottom-out right away. Change your thinking, instead of "fuck, I don't get to eat (bullshit processed carbs you're currently eating)" think instead "I get to enjoy lots of meat and get to try out recipes I'm not used to!" ('lots of meat' prob won't happen due to satiety, but you get the point)
    - initial weight gain: as a male, this didn't happen to me. I didn't lose weight fast, but I never gained weight. Perhaps females respond differently, or maybe there's some initial water weight I didn't notice. Still, you're talking a couple of weeks at MOST. You already said you don't care about public perception of your weigh, and NOBODY knows how much you weight EXCEPT YOU, so if you don't care, then this step shouldn't hold you back.
    - lots of $$ on grass-fed/etc: I only bought grass-fed maybe thrice in the almost two years of primal eating. Is it better to eat grass fed? absolutely, but if you can't afford it, it doesn't mean you shouldn't still cut-down on grains, etc. Primal is not just about eating the best quality foods you can source, but about decreasing your exposure to really bad "foods" perhaps more-so than the quality. Cut down on any weird oils, use coconut oil, and take fish oil. I don't buy shit that's organic either, mostly cus I don't give a fuck, and because I wash my veggies and because I hardly ever eat raw veggies so I trust the heat will get rid of other nasty stuff. I was also born in Peru and I have a feeling my digestive system is a little "tougher" because of this. I feel great and I don't spend ridiculous amounts of money on the food I buy and prepare.
    - Missing eating chocolate and cheese. Well, change your tastes a little. Eat really dark chocolate mostly, and see how cheese affects your weight-loss efforts. It seems most don't do well when it's around. However, once in a while eat some cheese, and have some chocolate. You're still doing a lot more than a lot of other people by avoiding processed foods. You don't have to be so hardcore about it.

I don't know much about you, so not sure how you currently eat, I went on the assumption that you're still eating more of a SAD diet. If that's wrong, my apologies.

For what it's worth, I'm 26. You mention you don't want to end up having to "use" primal to fix problems, neither am I. I'm also primal as a way to prevent shit from happening. I'm so used to it now that eating weird shit just doesn't enter my mind, shit, not even when I'm stoned. You have to stop seeing the shit on the shelves as food. It's not food unless it was once an animal or depended on the soil to grow. End of story.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 10-13-2011 at 08:23 AM.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    What really helped me stay the course was a high protein breakfast. I wasn't hungry for hours and hours so it was easy not to indulge in what I didn't need. When I did need a snack, which wasn't frequent, I incorporated protein.

We now only eat two meals a day effortlessly as we just plain are not hungry in between. I would try this first before supplementation.

HandBot is offline Junior Member
    I had someone tell me: "Losing weight is hard, working out is hard, being fat is hard, being unhealthy is hard... choose your 'hards' "

Plus, once I got past the carb flu, I was amazed at how easy it was to gradually lose weight without denying myself. Each time that I have some bread or a carb-heavy day I feel lousy the next day (it's amazing how quickly you can forget how good you're feeling compared to pre-primal) which helps perpetuate the desire to stay primal. I've been 70% primal for the last 6 weeks and lost eight pounds painlessly while feeling more energetic and happy.

If that doesn't help you get motivated, read through the hundreds of success stories here in the forums. I'm still going back and reading random stories every week. Great motivation.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I understand how that is a lot of people have come to Primal. But I want to be more in a preventative state; I don't want to wait until I'm almost on the brink of death to realize how badly I screwed up. I want to fix things now.
    Good! An ounce of prevention really is worth a pound of cure. I never had to worry about weight. I was 5'9", 125 lbs and looked hot. It was something of an entertaining novelty for me to shovel sh*t into my mouth all day without having to worry about my weight or my skin or whatever else people worry about. I didn't start taking eating seriously, I mean REALLY seriously until I was in my late 20s--just before I started having kids.

When it comes to nourishment, you really do reap what you sow. Today, I am still 125 lbs, but I have autoimmune disease. I am often tired and lethargic, even though I have been serious about nutrition for years now. Two pregnancies and breastfeeding for three years left me completely depleted. I am still digging myself out of that hole -- four years later. FTR: Pregnancy and breastfeeding does not do this to healthy women. It did it to me because I abused my body for so long. When it comes to the way we treat our bodies, we can turn from our ways, but we will still have to deal with the consequences of bad decisions.

Every decision you make now about whether to take that walk or drink that soft drink will matter in ten years. It will. And, not necessarily in the ways you think. Taking care of yourself now will pay dividends later. I promise.

jmday is offline Senior Member
    California Native living in land locked Kansas
    For me, the biggest change was realizing I dind't ahve to do it all at once. This past year, I make mini-goals each month. anything from adding a new exercies, to play more/ walk dog more / to dropping sugar.

By doing just 1 or two things at a time, you can feel much more confident in achieving the goal.

good luck
    Julia
    Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
    Started Primal Mid January 2011
    Current Weight 183
    Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
    http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast