Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New and confused page 2

mascarorj is offline Junior Member
    I was typing as KestrelSF was and I agree with what he says as well. You will see results giving up the grains and sugar, but if you've done that, go ahead and make the right food choices in the right portion as well.

ErinF is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone, that is so helpful! My activity level is about average. I have a 20 month old and a 6 month old so I'm always running around the house with them. Unfortunately getting enough sleep is not something I can fix right now, the baby wakes up once or twice most nights, and while she goes right back to sleep and I don't have to get out of bed, it still wakes me up and breaks up my sleep cycle. I don't have a hard time eliminating sugar, because I've never had a sweet tooth. I usually go for salty snacks if I'm craving something. I've also not liked bread all that much either, so eliminating wheat has been super easy. The problem for me has been eliminating all dairy, or at least most dairy (I still use butter, cream and milk on occasion). I bought coconut oil and have been cooking with that. I don't usually buy bacon, but I love it so I wouldn't mind adding that to my grocery list.

I plan on buying grass fed meat, but won't be able to do that until my husband is out of training and we have more $ coming in. Our eggs come from grass fed chickens and the butter I use comes from grass fed cows. I wish I could just throw out all the junk in my pantry, but my husband isn't fully on board with this diet yet and I need some easy snacks for the kids when I'm exhausted. Once my husband is on board 100% it will be easier to get rid of the junk. Most of it is wheat based which I know I can't have and am not tempted to eat because of the horrible side affects.

Right my exercise looks like this:
    All week - chase around the little ones, and go on nightly walks with my husband for 30 - 60 mins.
    Twice a week I go on shopping trips and walk around the store/mall pushing the kids in a stroller/shopping cart for at least 30 mins
    I do 20 minutes of sprints once a week
    and I'm going to start following the exercise routine that came in the ebook when I signed up for the newsletter. (2 weight training sessions a week).

Thanks for all your help, now that things have been cleared up I'll have a easier time with this transition. I think part of my problem is I have the "carb flu" and the foggy brain and confusion is hitting me pretty hard.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    How to Eat According to the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple

I will tell you that my husband doesn't even know he is on this plan. When he eats what I make/buy for home he is primal. I have no control over his lunches, but other than that he is primal.

I might have missed it, but did you say you have a problem with dairy? It is a lot to stop everything all at once.

Also, since you are trying to lose weight (and this will be controversial, so take it however you want I am just giving you personal experience here) I would tell you that at some point the calories are going to matter. What the calories are (ie the macronutrients) are super important, but at some point the total calories will matter-for weight loss.

for the carb flu, I found it went away (finally) when I was being meticulous about getting all of my protein, mine lasted for months. I had been vegetarian so getting used to eating enough meat,etc took some time.

good luck
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

I'll have to try that with the protein, I was eating vegetarian before coming over to this diet. I don't think I could deal with months of carb flu! I know my husband will switch over to this diet, especially since in the week I've been doing this I've lost close to 5 lbs versus only 1/2 pound weekly for WEEKS with heavy exercising. Right now he's not on board because he'd have to give up his precious salsa and chips. He spends weeks making home made salsa and bottling it, so I really doubt he'll ever give that up :P

I think I have a slight intolerance or allergy (I can't remember the difference) to casein, but I can still eat cheese, butter and on rare occasion heavy cream. I have some scary symptoms pop up after eating dairy so I have to really be careful.

Yvonne PHX Guest

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ErinF View Post
    Right now he's not on board because he'd have to give up his precious salsa and chips. He spends weeks making home made salsa and bottling it, so I really doubt he'll ever give that up :P
    Salsa is very, very good for you. Honeslty, I have yet to give up my salsa and chips. I am a Mexican, so I feel like just giving up fresh, hot homemade flour tortillas is plenty. I don't eat the chips every day. They are my cheat, and I savor every crunchy scoop. Tip: get some corn tortillas and fry them in coconut oil.

Oh I love that idea! I'll definitely do that. He's been wanting me to fry up some chips for him and I've never had any motivation to do it. Especially since he can eat a bag a week, I'd be frying chips for him practially all day long lol

Janice Ross is offline Junior Member

confused.....

I don't know what I am doing ,I just want help please. I am just going to tell you what I am doing then maybe someone will help me.. I am on ketogenic diet, I eat bacon, sausage, chicken ,ground beaf, pork chops and eggs . That is all I have had for 7 days. I am under the impression that you have to do that untill you get into ketosis which I am just getting there.. If I am wrong please some one help me I am not real good on the computer so please make it simple . I want to loose 30 pounds and have been trying a lot of things with no sucsess.. I really need help and I appreciate all help thank you janice:

Janice, get yourself to a fitday.com or something similar. Track what you are eating so you can get an idea of what has carbs in it and what doesn't. I think the general consensus is to eat less than 50g of carbs or about 20 to 30 net carbs (net is where you subtract fiber grams from the carb total to get net).

You could/should add veggies and still come in well under the carb totals. the exact number to reach ketosis is different for different people and not totally necessary to lose weight. going very low/zero carb is not really sustainable for life and this is after all a way of life not a diet simply for weight loss.

if you are eating bacon it should be nitrite/nitrate free, and sausage is probably best if you know the source (or make it yourself) to ensure there are no ingredients that you don't want in the system.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I make chips out of sweet potatoes. Just slice them very thin and bake them until crisp. Best to salt and pepper them when they are freshly cut so it sticks.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    @ErinF here are some possibilities for salsa dipping...Gallery - chowstalker

then there are tons of possibilities of adding fresh salsa to recipes to make them spectacular! wish my hubby would make fresh salsa, lucky you!
    Chris
    Unknown

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12