Thread: "Too much energy" w. Vit. D supplements? Insomnia... page

shema is offline Senior Member

"Too much energy" w. Vit. D supplements? Insomnia...

Primal Fuel
    I posted a while back about how I got my Vitamin D levels tested and learned I was deficient. (My value was 17 ng/mL).

W/in the past 2 weeks I've been taking daily Vitamin D supplements of 5,000 IU. After a few days I suddenly had a new found sense of energy, alertness, and ability to concentrate. Previously I couldn't fathom getting through the day w/o caffeine. Suddenly I don't need caffeine. I sometimes feel like I can't contain my energy. I power through my workday and I'm still energized when I come home. (I used to drag at the end of the day and practically faint into bed).

The problem is that I've also found myself waking up in the middle of the night feeling extremely alert and wide awake and my heart feels like it's beating a little faster than usual. I didn't have this problem before.

I don't know if this is associated with the Vitamin D supplements, esp. considering that it's only been about 2 weeks that I've been taking them regularly. But that's been the only recent change in my daily regimen.

Could I be overdosing? I seriously doubt it but wonder if anyone has any ideas here. I'm worried about not getting enough b/c I want to start trying to conceive very soon. (I actually delayed b/c of my low Vitamin D levels and anemia). But I'm also worried about too much given all I hear about Vitamin D toxicity. I don't know what to believe anymore. I do know I feel better but am I getting too much of a good thing?
    Last edited by shema; 10-12-2011 at 08:00 PM.

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member
    I experienced the same "energy high" when I started supplementing with Vitamin D. It died down some as my levels went up, I still have more energy overall, but not quite "high" feeling like it was. My levels were 21, so also very low. I definitely did not overdose, I got my levels checked recently and they were up to 50 (in 5 months). It would be VERY hard, in fact nearly impossible, to OD on Vitamin D with levels as low as yours/mine were. I took 5,000 at first, but take 6,000-8,000 every other day or every couple days now, no issues at all.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I have read that you may need more Mg when you are getting your D levels normalized. Do you take Mg? Lots of people here have good luck with the Natural Calm brand before bed.

Also - is there any chance you could be getting some type of preservative or soy oil in your vitamin D? Perhaps you are reacting to that?

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    are you taking your D when you first wake up? it is recommended, as it can have the energising effect. ditto on the magnesium; take one at bed and it should relax you. calcium can do the same, but both can cause bowel change so beware of that.

shema is offline Senior Member
    Wow, thank you so much these are very helpful responses. Guess I shouldn't be worried about OD'g for now then.

HeatherJ, sounds like I was taking the Vitamin D at the WRONG TIME OF DAY! I'd take it with dinner, around 6:30 or so. Since it's energizing as you note, better for me to take it in the morning. I did not take it last night however. But I was still wide awake, past my usual bedtime. I went to bed at midnight and woke up around 5:30 feeling alert. Previous to starting the supplements I'd hit the sack at 10:30 and easily sleep until 7am.

I have not been taking a magnesium supplement but will try doing that in the evening now. I previously used to take a combined calcium/magnesium supplement. But since starting the Vitamin D I stopped the cal/mag b/c I read that Vitamin D automatically raises calcium levels so there's no need to supplement.

Thanks again for your reassurances and advice!

dado Guest
    It is good to feel great energy. I've noticed no such effect with my own vitamin d supplementation.

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I can't take Vitamin D in the evening because of the same effect.
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."