Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Body by science workout anyone doing it? page

maranne is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I was wondering if any of you was doing the body by science workout?

My main question is whether machines were needed or if one could do it with free weights as well?

Thanks

M x

enriquegp is offline Junior Member

I used free weights. To be honest I didn't like it too much, I very much prefer 2-3 workouts a week with some progressive overload.

kfine Guest

I tried it today, and I used free weights. I have to admit, it was very difficult. I was going to post a question about it too....asking if anyone else was doing the workout. Have you tried it?

Conan Guest

I tried it and I'm not a big fan of the super slow method. I definitely felt the burn but I felt like things became so uncomfortable I couldn't fully stimulate the muscles like I do in my normal workouts. I just didn't feel like I got a good workout. I think he makes some good points about using machines vs. free weights and the core weight excercises he suggests are definitely the most effective movements for building muscle but I'm not a big fan of super slow. I also disagree w/ lifting only once/week. Personally, I prefer 2-3 times/week.

Graeme is offline Junior Member

What is the basis of the book?Big compounds and super slow??

kfine Guest

Yes, he uses "Big 5" compound movements, and you are to perform them super slow, for one set. Once per week for maximum recovery.

tman Guest

I do the Body by Science (BBS) workout once per week and two other free weight workouts as well-all total body. Usually i do a hard, free weight, compound exercise workout (squats, presses, rows, etc.) on Monday, a BBS workout on Thursday and a lighter version of Monday's workout on Saturday. I love the BBS workout! But I break a few of Dr. McGuff's rules/recommendations. My big 5 usually turns into a big 8-10. And, as I said, I don't limit my total workouts to one per week (overtraining by his standards-and maybe true). The slow reps are very intense-a totally different feel from my other free weight, faster rep workouts. I pretty much consider it my "metabolic" workout as the weights are heavy (relatively) the work is hard and the pace is fast. You really huff and puff-it's great.

As for doing it with free weights-I don't. You maybe able to incorporate some less complicated free weight compound exercises or some isolation moves but as for big moves like squats and deadlifts-no way. They are too complicated, require too much of a "groove" to do in slow fashion. Thats my opinion anyway.

maranne is offline Senior Member

Thanks for all the answers everyone!

I kind of knew it would be hard with free weights....oh well..might forgo this until I join a gym again and concentrate on other types of exercise.

M x

tman Guest

@maranne-you don't really even need to join a gym. If you only do one BBS workout per week (that's all you'll really want to do) and maybe one or two home workouts-you just need a gym one day per week-hardly worth paying dues. I don't know where you live but I have been able to find community centers and some high school gyms with adequate machines that cost very little on a per workout basis ($2-3). So you only spend $12 for 4 workouts a month vs. a $30-40 gym membership.

geekfish is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I have been using the BBS workout for a month and a half. I found it really difficult at first to really last the 90-120 seconds of time under load McGuff suggests due to aerobic conditioning. I have since improved and am really able to push my muscles to failure. I do the basic Big5 on machines and do the 1 workout a week. I believe the long recovery period is helpful and have had very good strength gains and feel stronger. The one workout a week feels wrong if you have been used to more workouts per week. I am going to keep on trying it for a while longer certainly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast