Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Body by science workout anyone doing it? page 4

miata is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    That's correct, and I of course will go for a run or a swim or whatever on the off days too and at the time I did a side-rebalancing workout as well.

Basically Thimothy Ferris wrote a book called 4 Hour Body, and it had a few different chapters on different approaches. I used the chapter that described one coach approach to training strong runners that did that max-failure scheme and lifted to failure using the rep range and speed described in his BBS spin-ff chapter. Plus added support as described in his BBS chapter. It was a very good protocol, I really liked the recovery time. Normal protocols with 3-4 days heavy lifting a week left wme with some lifts not being up to snuff due to under-recovery. Another thing I liked was that I do not do a particularly day of the week pattern, and I could swap one lift for another if the equipment was not available.

Right now I am just doing WODs, since my schedule is tight, but that Max/Failure split is on my list of things to chose from when I go back to lifting.
    Thanks. I've been reading about Timothy and his book reviews -- as well as listening a few podcasts. What a unique character.

I'm also trying to have a flexible weekly schedule, since I don't always have time to break away from my desk. I am still trying to do all my BBS in one session though -- currently trying every five days. One problem is that if something happens on day 5 I end up going to the sixth day -- and my work gym is not open on weekends, so it can get even worse. I may play with every 4 days so that I can almost always do every 4-5 days. I don't think it matters if my recovery period varies by a day or two.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I highly recommend Ferris, if nothing lse he gives you tons of food for thoughts and ideas to experiment with! I was swimming for years and years, and was trained as a kid competitiveness, but his swimming chapter gave me one trick that made me be able to do front krall to infinity pretty much.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, something about the BBS routine. Don't be afraid to change the tempo up just a bit every few months. I like the 10/10, but I've gone as quick as 5/5 cadence. Working one set to and through failure with minimal rest and max load for the target TUL are some of the constants for me. Just paying super close attention to your turnarounds really tightens up your form also.

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    I am about to start this program but am wondering if there is a quicker way to body re composition?
    Any opinions ?

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    ...again with the scientism.

Kinnell is offline Member
    I haven't read the book, but isn't the point of BBS to go to failure, and the reason machines are used is that barbell lifts can't be performed to failure safely?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    They can, you just need a reliable spotter.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinnell View Post
    I haven't read the book, but isn't the point of BBS to go to failure, and the reason machines are used is that barbell lifts can't be performed to failure safely?
    Actually if you read the book they show how to use the program for free weights also. Not all things can be done to failure obviously, but just about anything that you don't get stuck under the bar can. It's in chapter four under "The free weight big five".
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-05-2013 at 06:21 PM.

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    It is also possible to do bodyweight exercises: pushups, squats very slowly, reverse rows, pullups, divebombers, from what I read somewhere (have not yet tried it but I'm getting started tomorrow with a local slow lift trainer.) I'm going to do once a week and see how it goes; have been doing twice a week to what I perceive as failure, and am not completely recovering. (of course I'm a 58 year old dude!) The book is pretty good, seems to me, and there is another review article that comes to similar conclusions that is floating around the site, http://baye.com/wp-content/uploads/2...tr-Fisher1.pdf
    10/2/12: 169 lbs, 37"waist
    Now: low 150's, 33" waist
    Blog: http://paleopathologist.com/

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    I started using it but had other goals at the time so stopped, but at the moment in using something not too dissimilar which is static contraction training. I mention it as it was created by john little who co wrote body by science.

I am doing what would be an army pt session bit instead of reps in doing static holds for time. IM not going to failure (well im adding weight to pushups/chinups and so far havnt failed) on any set which is why I can train more than once a week.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234